Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Jul 2014, 02:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Good School this year vs Elite School next year

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Current Student
avatar
Status: Now or never
Joined: 07 Aug 2010
Posts: 326
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 124 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Good School this year vs Elite School next year [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 03:09
I have a dilemma , I have admit from Univ of Washington - Foster MBA for Fall 2013. I am aware its presence in Seattle makes it a big feeder school to Tech companies in and around Seattle. Would anyone suggest me whether consulting companies in Seattle would be a long shot to consider out of this school. Also what kind of verticals would the consulting companies cater to, my guess is it would be technology or healthcare or biotech. I intend to get into Product Management/Business development in MS/Amazon etc and then eventually try to step into investment advisory firms that advise specifically tech startups. If this is not possible should I try to give a shot to better schools such as UCLA etc on the west coast next year. Presently I am working with a Data Analytics Consulting firm dealing with financial services clients. I also have a WL from Georgetown. Would it be worth to wait for another year and try to get into the top 15 schools next year.
_________________

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Too close for missiles, switching to guns.
Joined: 23 Oct 2012
Posts: 762
Location: United States
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 305 [1] , given: 163

Premium Member
Re: Good School this year vs Elite School next year [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 03:18
1
This post received
KUDOS
I think so. You only get to do this once, and if you're not absolutely in love with Foster, why not take a step back, looks at the parts of your application you can improve, and make another run at it next year? It's a little risky since you've got the Foster admit and it won't be on the table next year, but after going through the application process once, I'm sure you've learned alot about it and will be at an advantage next year.

Good luck on whatever you decide!
_________________

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Current Student
avatar
Status: Now or never
Joined: 07 Aug 2010
Posts: 326
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 124 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Good School this year vs Elite School next year [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 03:59
CobraKai wrote:
I think so. You only get to do this once, and if you're not absolutely in love with Foster, why not take a step back, looks at the parts of your application you can improve, and make another run at it next year? It's a little risky since you've got the Foster admit and it won't be on the table next year, but after going through the application process once, I'm sure you've learned alot about it and will be at an advantage next year.

Good luck on whatever you decide!




Good point - the admit wont be there next year. As much as I love to say that admission process is very structured I am also forced to accept that its a blind shot at best. The schools that I was sure about getting into dinged me without interview and the one I was least expecting to accept me has given me an offer. I don't know what aspects of my profile would I be able to improve, do you think a better GMAT and promotion in organization could be good points to target top 15 - top 20 schools next year.
_________________

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Current Student
User avatar
Status: Too close for missiles, switching to guns.
Joined: 23 Oct 2012
Posts: 762
Location: United States
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 305 [0], given: 163

Premium Member
Re: Good School this year vs Elite School next year [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 04:51
Depends...if your GMAT is already 720+ (I'm saying 720 because it looks like you're in the Indian pool), then I'd say a higher GMAT doesn't have much use. Promotion is good, but I think more importantly it gives you better leadership content to write about in your essays or talk to in your interviews.

Using myself as an example, if I were to re-apply next year (I'm not because I'm already 30+...need to get moving!), I wouldn't take the GMAT again. My 700 was either at the average, or less than 20 points below it at my target schools, and my quant score was above the 80th%ile. I doubt I would have more significant work experience to talk about. But after four applications, I'm confident I could write much better essays to convey all the cool things I've done to the Adcom. I think that's the biggest X-factor, and I bet you could write better essays next year after having gone through the wringer once already.
_________________

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Current Student
avatar
Status: Now or never
Joined: 07 Aug 2010
Posts: 326
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 124 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Good School this year vs Elite School next year [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 10:05
CobraKai wrote:
Depends...if your GMAT is already 720+ (I'm saying 720 because it looks like you're in the Indian pool), then I'd say a higher GMAT doesn't have much use. Promotion is good, but I think more importantly it gives you better leadership content to write about in your essays or talk to in your interviews.

Using myself as an example, if I were to re-apply next year (I'm not because I'm already 30+...need to get moving!), I wouldn't take the GMAT again. My 700 was either at the average, or less than 20 points below it at my target schools, and my quant score was above the 80th%ile. I doubt I would have more significant work experience to talk about. But after four applications, I'm confident I could write much better essays to convey all the cool things I've done to the Adcom. I think that's the biggest X-factor, and I bet you could write better essays next year after having gone through the wringer once already.



I am indeed from India and my score is 680 , a 40 point improvement is not guaranteed and I have been in this process for two years now , I would say that this latest year I have had better results , But I wont be able to generalize. I am also aware that the time consuming and the grilling process of apps is not viewed favorably by many. My recomenders just put up their hands in despair and told me to stop it :(. I fear what it would be like next year :D. I know lot of compromises have to be made if you are stepping out of your home country. Job security becomes essential and tech companies are the least painful companies in that aspect. But at the same time I do feel that I would waste my consulting experience if were to go to a tech company post MBA.
_________________

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Expert Post
VP
VP
avatar
Status: Yale SOM!
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 1250
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 408 [0], given: 243

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Good School this year vs Elite School next year [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 10:07
Expert's post
crackHSW wrote:
CobraKai wrote:
Depends...if your GMAT is already 720+ (I'm saying 720 because it looks like you're in the Indian pool), then I'd say a higher GMAT doesn't have much use. Promotion is good, but I think more importantly it gives you better leadership content to write about in your essays or talk to in your interviews.

Using myself as an example, if I were to re-apply next year (I'm not because I'm already 30+...need to get moving!), I wouldn't take the GMAT again. My 700 was either at the average, or less than 20 points below it at my target schools, and my quant score was above the 80th%ile. I doubt I would have more significant work experience to talk about. But after four applications, I'm confident I could write much better essays to convey all the cool things I've done to the Adcom. I think that's the biggest X-factor, and I bet you could write better essays next year after having gone through the wringer once already.



I am indeed from India and my score is 680 , a 40 point improvement is not guaranteed and I have been in this process for two years now , I would say that this latest year I have had better results , But I wont be able to generalize. I am also aware that the time consuming and the grilling process of apps is not viewed favorably by many. My recomenders just put up their hands in despair and told me to stop it :(. I fear what it would be like next year :D. I know lot of compromises have to be made if you are stepping out of your home country. Job security becomes essential and tech companies are the least painful companies in that aspect. But at the same time I do feel that I would waste my consulting experience if were to go to a tech company post MBA.



That's tough but my recommenders are so happy I'm matriculating this year even if it just means they don't have to write anything for me again this fall. They've been at it for awhile and at some point you have to accept that where you are is where youre going to end up.
_________________

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
avatar
Status: Now or never
Joined: 07 Aug 2010
Posts: 326
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 124 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Good School this year vs Elite School next year [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 20:13
aerien wrote:
crackHSW wrote:
CobraKai wrote:
Depends...if your GMAT is already 720+ (I'm saying 720 because it looks like you're in the Indian pool), then I'd say a higher GMAT doesn't have much use. Promotion is good, but I think more importantly it gives you better leadership content to write about in your essays or talk to in your interviews.

Using myself as an example, if I were to re-apply next year (I'm not because I'm already 30+...need to get moving!), I wouldn't take the GMAT again. My 700 was either at the average, or less than 20 points below it at my target schools, and my quant score was above the 80th%ile. I doubt I would have more significant work experience to talk about. But after four applications, I'm confident I could write much better essays to convey all the cool things I've done to the Adcom. I think that's the biggest X-factor, and I bet you could write better essays next year after having gone through the wringer once already.



I am indeed from India and my score is 680 , a 40 point improvement is not guaranteed and I have been in this process for two years now , I would say that this latest year I have had better results , But I wont be able to generalize. I am also aware that the time consuming and the grilling process of apps is not viewed favorably by many. My recomenders just put up their hands in despair and told me to stop it :(. I fear what it would be like next year :D. I know lot of compromises have to be made if you are stepping out of your home country. Job security becomes essential and tech companies are the least painful companies in that aspect. But at the same time I do feel that I would waste my consulting experience if were to go to a tech company post MBA.



That's tough but my recommenders are so happy I'm matriculating this year even if it just means they don't have to write anything for me again this fall. They've been at it for awhile and at some point you have to accept that where you are is where youre going to end up.



I did not disclose it to my immediate supervisors about my plans for MBA , because that would have jeopardized my promotion , not that i wanted it , but its better to leave the organization with your head high ( read as at a higher level in hierarchy) than at the same level at which you joined :D. My managers from earlier organizations and project would not have my career aspirations on the top of their to-do list . So I had to play it out very conservatively, but I guess the number of apps played a spoilsport. Next year or this year is still not sure , but I cannot go the same set of recommenders even if I wish to :(
_________________

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 11999
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2138

Kudos [?]: 7347 [2] , given: 3619

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Good School this year vs Elite School next year [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 21:34
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
crackHSW wrote:
I have a dilemma , I have admit from Univ of Washington - Foster MBA for Fall 2013. I am aware its presence in Seattle makes it a big feeder school to Tech companies in and around Seattle. Would anyone suggest me whether consulting companies in Seattle would be a long shot to consider out of this school. Also what kind of verticals would the consulting companies cater to, my guess is it would be technology or healthcare or biotech. I intend to get into Product Management/Business development in MS/Amazon etc and then eventually try to step into investment advisory firms that advise specifically tech startups. If this is not possible should I try to give a shot to better schools such as UCLA etc on the west coast next year. Presently I am working with a Data Analytics Consulting firm dealing with financial services clients. I also have a WL from Georgetown. Would it be worth to wait for another year and try to get into the top 15 schools next year.



The main feeder markets for the Foster would be
Amazon (hiring like crazy)
Microsoft (some - they like to cherry pick)
Some biotech
Some tech/startups/etc


However, Foster is a heavily regional school (once you leave WA or OR, few people will know about it and it's MBA value).
It is not a heavy consulting school but not terrible - about 16 grads went into consulting; while 29 went into Marketing and Sales. That's out of about 93 reporting.

On the flip side it is a small program (only 107 grads last year) and 96% were employed 3 months out vs. 87% at UCLA

Bottom line - I don't think it is going to be a suicide to go to Foster. However, keep the weather in mind - it is pretty nasty over here.

Edit to add: will PM You.
_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
avatar
Status: Now or never
Joined: 07 Aug 2010
Posts: 326
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 124 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Good School this year vs Elite School next year [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2013, 23:13
Any more inputs would be really helpful :), I am looking for suggestions especially for consulting from Foster. BB has already posted the figures , I would like to know how many of those 16 were internationals and especially would love to hear about how the consulting recruiting happens at Foster.
_________________

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Re: Good School this year vs Elite School next year   [#permalink] 26 Mar 2013, 23:13
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Save the backup schools for next year?? wown 10 01 Apr 2013, 07:20
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic Good School this year vs Elite School next year crackHSW 8 21 Mar 2013, 03:09
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Safe school or reapply next year? haiwen 9 14 Mar 2013, 20:05
Shot at Elite schools in 2-3 years? TheFountainhead 2 11 Oct 2012, 19:49
Experts publish their posts in the topic 3 years for elite school. lsuguy7 3 14 May 2008, 11:43
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Good School this year vs Elite School next year

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.