Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 19:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

got 640 even after getting 47 in quant

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

got 640 even after getting 47 in quant [#permalink] New post 25 May 2008, 00:32
Hi everyone,
just gave my gmat on 23rd and got 640(V-32,Q-47). Yeah i am from engg background and thats why I maybe i am strong in quant, but my english is also not bad. I did study from manhattan sc(3 times), read powerscore lsat reasoning and did everything possible to get atleast 40 in verbal. In the first gmat prep, got 680 and in the second got 710, so was expecting atleast a 700. had also solved all the problems from og. apart from that also solved 1000 scs. Whenever I used to get answers wrong, I would straight search in gmatclub.com and would always make mental notes on the reason why the answer selected was wrong.

After reading my story, can anyone tell me if i can ever touch 700? or should i just resign to my fate?
Basically even while I was giving the verbal section, at no time could I imagine that I was getting many of my answers wrong. I wanted atleast 740 so I could try for ISB after 3 years when I would have 5 years work ex. But now it seems next to impossible. I am prepared to give one more shot if any one of you can guide me how should I target verbal.

badly needing help.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 96 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: got 640 even after getting 47 in quant [#permalink] New post 25 May 2008, 00:44
This post received
KUDOS
Rohan,

You can absolutely touch 7XX and may be 800 too!

read the post of mishari

8-t62535

there are much smarter folks in and around this forum who can do amazing things by their mere explanations and contributions to the forum.

Hang around and you will see things getting better

Persistence+Patience+Persistence+Patience=G...O...A...L

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 68 [1] , given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: got 640 even after getting 47 in quant [#permalink] New post 25 May 2008, 02:16
This post received
KUDOS
rohans84 wrote:
Hi everyone,
just gave my gmat on 23rd and got 640(V-32,Q-47). Yeah i am from engg background and thats why I maybe i am strong in quant, but my english is also not bad. I did study from manhattan sc(3 times), read powerscore lsat reasoning and did everything possible to get atleast 40 in verbal. In the first gmat prep, got 680 and in the second got 710, so was expecting atleast a 700. had also solved all the problems from og. apart from that also solved 1000 scs. Whenever I used to get answers wrong, I would straight search in gmatclub.com and would always make mental notes on the reason why the answer selected was wrong.

After reading my story, can anyone tell me if i can ever touch 700? or should i just resign to my fate?
Basically even while I was giving the verbal section, at no time could I imagine that I was getting many of my answers wrong. I wanted atleast 740 so I could try for ISB after 3 years when I would have 5 years work ex. But now it seems next to impossible. I am prepared to give one more shot if any one of you can guide me how should I target verbal.

badly needing help.

rohans84, don't be discouraged. My first attempt also yielded a 640 and after two more tries I was finally able to achieve a score that I was satisfied with. Keep your head up and utilize all of the resources offered by GMAT Club to their full advantage. If you want to see how I prepared, check out my GMAT experience for further details. Just keep participating on this site and studying hard and good things will happen!

Profile | GMAT | Erb Institute

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 81 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: got 640 even after getting 47 in quant [#permalink] New post 25 May 2008, 07:37
This post received
KUDOS
I know this feeling my first go round was a 640 I had some serious doubt if the 700s could be reached. I thought I had toped out in math and it seemed very hard to improve verbal.

8-t63878

Check out my story. This forum is littered with tons of these stories, this board turns out a ton of 700+ members. Take a deep breath, forget about what people say about how much you can't improve your score, you can outwork the GMAT and you can get to 700.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tepper '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: got 640 even after getting 47 in quant [#permalink] New post 26 May 2008, 08:31
This post received
KUDOS
statistically speaking, you could easily get 700 tomorrow. you have already scored in that range on gmatprep.

If you want to just take your chances, and they are good chances, then schedule a test as soon as possible.

if you want to make sure, schedule it about 2 months later. You should be getting 750 range on the repeat gmatpreps before you take the test.
Re: got 640 even after getting 47 in quant   [#permalink] 26 May 2008, 08:31