Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Dec 2014, 03:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Got 650, Q 49, V 29. Should I retake?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Got 650, Q 49, V 29. Should I retake? [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2004, 03:50
Hi everyone!

I scored 650 on GMAT today, Q 49, V 29. I've red from many sources that since I have several years of managerial experience in media industry, top schools would forgive me my low verbal, because the experience is a strong evidence of my verbal skills. What do you think of that?

Thank you very much!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2004, 08:41
hi

well what you heard is quiet true, gmat score is only a part of your application. Look back into your career and list your achivements, from here on it all depends on how u package ur successes in the essays. Good recommendations will also make you stand out.

I researched schools, those ranked from 10- 15 do admit candidates in the range of 600- 699 gmat score, 50% of students admitted last year at CMU were in this range, but again depends on the schools you want to go to and your background.

So if work on your application package in way that show cases your skills very well and also write fantastic essays i dont see any reason your verbal score will matter.

One last point, always remember that you are competing in a global pool of candidates, so apply to a good number of schools.

Hope this helps
raj
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 439 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2004, 13:07
Hi,

Raj makes a number of good points. The GMAT is merely one of many important factors that schools consider when evaluating candidates.

Transelite, elite, and even ultraelite schools admit and enroll students with GMAT scores below 700 and even below 600. However, note that the Carnegie data are for enrolled students only- not admitted students. We do not know what proportion of applicants were in the 600-700 range so it is unclear whether these students are admitted at the same rate as students with higher scores. Regardless, the odds of admission tend to increase with GMAT score across virtually all schools. Often students with low scores are special admit candidates of one type or another- it is dangerous for one to assume that he will qualify as a special admit candidate . . .

Some schools will certainly forgive a relatively low verbal score if there are other indicia of verbal ability. However, for students who are not native or high experience English speakers, a low verbal score might raise concerns about the applicants facility with English.

If you already have a high standing on verbal ability, it would seem logical to take the test again so this high standing can manifest itself on the next administration of the exam.

Hjort
  [#permalink] 19 Oct 2004, 13:07