Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 20:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Got 680- journey has to be on

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 11

Reviews Badge
Got 680- journey has to be on [#permalink] New post 08 May 2014, 21:20
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hello everybody,

I gave my exam yesterday and got a score of 680 (Q48 and V 35 IR 4).I am not happy with it as the colleges I am targeting need 700+.

Sharing my exam experience,

Preparation : 4 months base score of 620 ( Q47 v 30)
Books : Almost all noteworthy books
Course : MGMAT CAT and E-gmat

E-gmat course really helped me improve my SC as before the course I was clueless on approaching SC questions.
My performance in MGMAT CATS was always below the mark never scored more than 650 .Verbal score hovered between 28-38 , averaging 34 , and quants never scored more than Q 44.

Retrospection :

1.Though I worked on quant section and studied too form MGMAT books and Jeff but In my opinion GMAT questions are tricky , they require you to think out of the formulae and are not just simply put the formula and get the answer type questions. Also, for few problems you need to recollect the shortcut as working out easily consumes more than 2 min which plays havoc with your timing during the exam. I think I lacked practice and despite reading and covering the books my concepts were not up to the mark.

For some I think doing few questions are enough but I guess for me I have to a lot of practice.

2. For verbal my 70 % focus was on SC but to my disappointment I think I didn't perform well in SC on The exam .I wish I had focussed on RC and CR too equally.

3.Timing was and is still a pain , I have extremely poor timing which I feel I was not able to overcome , in all my exams till the end timing played havoc with my score.ave
Especially in Verbal , if two long RC's came despite knowing the fact that I need 8 min each to read them , I always used to feel tensed inadvertently causing a mess up.

4. I gave gmat prep 2 days before my exam got 680 and 580( a day before the exam- 2 back to back rcs at q 11 - 18 all wrong).
I know what an emotional turmoil I went through after seeing that score. But in a way I learned that if two rc's come and if I panic I will ruin everything I learned in 4 months

5.I never focussed and studied for IR and awa , it will reflect in low score.

My questions to the forum:

1.I am targeting indian b schools executive programs where median score is 705+.
2.How do I achieve it ?
3 What new resources I need ?

Pl guide me how to move forward I am keeping a realistic target of 720-730.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 2

Re: Got 680- journey has to be on [#permalink] New post 09 May 2014, 02:27
This post received
KUDOS
did you take 8 mins only to Read The RC or 8 mins to complete a long RC? If you take 8 mins to complete (read+ finish the questions ) for a long passage you are well within the mark .... if not (if you take 8 mins to read only ) then you need to change few things ...

do you take notes while you are reading the passage ? if yes this might be slowing you down ..... contrary to the advice by few instructors or test companies preparing people for gmat i will advice not to take notes while reading passage .... read the passage as if you are reading a executive summary of the project .... having idea of where details are ... (later on if the question that follows asks a specific detail - you know where to look back .... it is ok if you have an idea that certain detail is to be found in paragraph 2- line -3 and instead they appear on line 5 or 6 of the paragraph 2 ... you can easily read three lines in 10- 15 seconds in second reading .... taking notes will push you back by 2 - 3 mins or more every paragraph ) ... This way you can save time .. else always you will be shortage of time ..(i agree tough that some hit on accuracy might be there if you follow this still better than not completing the test on time or getting a poor result .)

Just keep in mind that for specific question that require detail you will read the relevant lines again before you answer the question .... for questions like main theme or main purpose etc (global questions i meant ) first reading is enough ....

try doing this with RC questions from GPrep . On this forum the entire gprep question bank is available .... the RC question bank of GPrep has more than 100 passages .... solving question from Gprep will help you in staying as close to the real question as it can get ....
Take a note of timings of every passage that you read , noting every time the time to took to read + time you took to complete the passage (both for long passage and also short passage ) ... after solving some 50- 60 such passage you will have a good grip ... (aim for 2 mins of reading time and at max 6 mins to complete short passages that generally have 3 questions and for long passages 3 mins for reading and additional 5 mins to complete 4 questions so a total of 8 mins at max ) but all of this only after you have solved 50- 60 passages from gprep question bank .....

Since there are more than 100 passages you will not remember much after you solved all (this might take care of repeats when you write gprep exam again) ... while you write gprep after all of this exercise ... make a habit of subtracting 6 mins from the time as soon as a short passage were to appear ... and 8 min for a long passage ... if you are crossing this time limit and say by that time you solved only 2 out of 4 questions then guess the other two question .... because the test is made in such a manner that the penalty for leaving the test unfinished is huge and even if you rush and some how finish the test on time ... you would fall in some trap that gmat sets in its questions .... again for this too penalty is huge ... the penalty is small only for missing out on tough question (contrary to what people think ... getting 700 means solving most 700 level question- a big no ) ....

For CR try reading the CR powerscore bible ......... then solve at least 50- 60 LSAT CR questions ..... and then solve the entire gprep question bank of CR ... i guess there are close to 150 CR questions there ... This way you will be taking care of CR and the RC part in this attempt.

I have attached the RC question bank of gprep . I wish you all the best in future endeavors.
Attachments

GMATPREP COMPREHENSIVE RC OA.pdf [799.24 KiB]
Downloaded 21 times

To download please login or register as a user

GMATPREP COMPREHENSIVE RC.pdf [1.1 MiB]
Downloaded 25 times

To download please login or register as a user

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1259

Kudos [?]: 3498 [1] , given: 184

Re: Got 680- journey has to be on [#permalink] New post 09 May 2014, 15:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Purnima - congratulations on improving to V35. I think 680 is good score. Nevertheless, another 50 points and you should be in a very comfortable position for schools such as ISB etc.

Improvement in RC: The key to improvement is to establish the cause. Remember, timing is an outcome of your ability and not a strategy.

[quote I gave gmat prep 2 days before my exam got 680 and 580( a day before the exam- 2 back to back rcs at q 11 - 18 all wrong).
I know what an emotional turmoil I went through after seeing that score. But in a way I learned that if two rc's come and if I panic I will ruin everything I learned in 4 months[/quote]

If you took a lot of time, still answered all questions incorrectly, then you potentially have bigger issues than just timing. Are you following the reading strategies, understanding the transitions presented in the passage. Have you looked at the recording of "How to approach RC". Click herefor the same.

Click the link below for the debrief of one of many students who has benefited from the reading strategies. Do look at the list of keywords as well:

750-good-habits-and-sound-strategies-can-do-wonders-168533.html#p1341518

Lastly I would like to say again that timing is an outcome of your (enhanced) ability, and not a strategy in itself. As you improve your ability, you improve your timing. While you might be able to improve your ability through a lot of practice, just doing so is not the most efficient way to go about it.

-Rajat

Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: Got 680- journey has to be on [#permalink] New post 11 May 2014, 04:13
This post received
KUDOS
Thank you abhasjha and e-gmat for the guidance.

But I never thought that strategizing and chalking out a plan for retake would be so difficult. I have been through so many debriefs for a 'win-it plan' but I guess everyone has to delve deep within to make a successful plan for themselves.

I have decided to take GMAT again after 5 weeks on 16 June 2014.

My queries :

1. 5 weeks sufficient time frame , I will be devoting 5 hours daily for GMAT studies.

Way forward for each section :

1. AWA : Read 2 essays daily from GMAT club jot down the important points I come across while reading.
Memorise the chineseburned template by heart. Give all mock tests along with AWA.

Is the plan OK experts?

2.IR : Go through E-gmat IR course module. First time I didn't study it .After finishing the course start practicing IR questions from GMAT club and GMAT prep software question bank.

Query : Where are the IR questions in OG 13 , in the copy I have it talks about what IR section is all about.

3. Quant : My current score in GMAT was Q 48 I am targeting a sure shot Q50 .

Query : Though I am an engineer but I am not too good in maths.I cant see through a problem and reach the solution as naturally as many engineers do [obviously for above average difficulty problems:( Tragic it may sound!!!]

I have identified following as my weak areas :-

1. Number systems : As the topic in itself is so diverse with a very limited theory , I will review the theory from MGMAT book one again and gmat club book.
After , do questions from 700-800 club question bank .

2.Word problem : I am really weak in TSD and work problems. SO I will review its fundamental again probably from CAT Arun sharma book

3.Geometry and algebra : I will straight away practice from 700-800 club question bank.

4.Probability ,PNC : UFFO!!!!!! this topic I dunno how to approach . Please guide , I cant do even the easiest of questions from this topic.

Verbal :

1.SC / CR / RC: Review of E-gmat course as per the schedule given.

2. Go though OG again .
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V32
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 15

Re: Got 680- journey has to be on [#permalink] New post 12 May 2014, 03:02
My comments in red
purnima wrote:
Thank you abhasjha and e-gmat for the guidance.

But I never thought that strategizing and chalking out a plan for retake would be so difficult. I have been through so many debriefs for a 'win-it plan' but I guess everyone has to delve deep within to make a successful plan for themselves.

I have decided to take GMAT again after 5 weeks on 16 June 2014.

My queries :

1. 5 weeks sufficient time frame , I will be devoting 5 hours daily for GMAT studies.

1. AWA : Read 2 essays daily from GMAT club jot down the important points I come across while reading.
Memorise the chineseburned template by heart. Give all mock tests along with AWA.

Is the plan OK experts?
The template is one aspect, you also need to prethink arguments. For that i suggest using the OG prompts and prethink a few assumptions. You need not write each essay
2.IR : Go through E-gmat IR course module. First time I didn't study it .After finishing the course start practicing IR questions from GMAT club and GMAT prep software question bank.

Query : Where are the IR questions in OG 13 , in the copy I have it talks about what IR section is all about.
Egmat is solid. You could also try Manhattan Gmat's new IR Tool. They launched it a week before I took my test, so i havent used it a lot but it looks promising
The OG13 - IR question are found online. The information and activation code is provided on the back page, next to OG12 cd.
Also try the GMATprep question bank, the IR questions are solid!

3. Quant : My current score in GMAT was Q 48 I am targeting a sure shot Q50 .

Query : Though I am an engineer but I am not too good in maths.I cant see through a problem and reach the solution as naturally as many engineers do [obviously for above average difficulty problems:( Tragic it may sound!!!] Doesn't !!

I have identified following as my weak areas :-

1. Number systems : As the topic in itself is so diverse with a very limited theory , I will review the theory from MGMAT book one again and gmat club book.
After , do questions from 700-800 club question bank .

2.Word problem : I am really weak in TSD and work problems. SO I will review its fundamental again probably from CAT Arun sharma book
Personally i would suggest not to. There are tons of official and relevant resources out there. Dont practice out of context it will just create more problems than help
3.Geometry and algebra : I will straight away practice from 700-800 club question bank.

4.Probability ,PNC : UFFO!!!!!! this topic I dunno how to approach . Please guide , I cant do even the easiest of questions from this topic.
Review basics (Gmat club math book is good, MGMAT/Kaplan books are good too). if you still have trouble understanding the concepts - don't go overboard, you wont get a lot of questions from this topic.
Verbal :

1.SC / CR / RC: Review of E-gmat course as per the schedule given.

2. Go though OG again .

Overall the plan looks good. Good job identifying weak areas, this is a big step towards improving your score
best-gmat-math-prep-books-reviews-recommendations-77291.html?fl=menu
gmat-math-book-87417.html

while(1) { "I Love GMAT" . "I Hate GMAT" } .. BREAK .. Thank god this is over, but now I miss it!!
My Debrief - Broken Shackles 600-750 http://gmatclub.com/forum/broken-shackles-600-to-170870.html

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1259

Kudos [?]: 3498 [1] , given: 184

Re: Got 680- journey has to be on [#permalink] New post 12 May 2014, 11:43
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Quote:

Yes - everyone has to do it. You cannot take someone's strategy and start following it. A good strategy has to be devised by you, is personalized to your needs and situation, and should leverage your strengths while devoting enough resources towards your weakness.

Quote:

Is the plan OK experts?

I am sorry Poornima but if timing, CR and RC are your main problems when why are you focusing on AWA and IR. If you are looking for 720 then you need to aim for Q49, V40. Work required in both Verbal and Quant. If I were you here is what I would do (in complete plan, you should get the general idea and take it from there):

1. Look at the recording of strategy session 2. You can get it from our blog here. Understand A) Ability calculation and B) whether timing is really a problem. You can do that by looking at timing scenarios discussed there.

2. Start with RC - Do the reading strategies again, and then solve GMAT Prep question pack 1. In addition, purchase paper based tests from GMAC. Make sure that you follow the reading strategies, focusing on the transition words. When you solve a question, you should be very certain why that particular answer choice is correct (and why others aren't). Do at least 20 passages. At the end of this exercise, you should feel that you can tackle most RC passages.

3. Repeat the same with CR.

4. Take a mock test. Take one which you have not taken before.

5. AWA and IR would be a cakewalk once you have mastered CR - spend no more than 5 hours on AWA (take a template), and 10 hours on IR.

Focus on getting your score out of 800 up first. Then worry about AWA and IR.

-Rajat

Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 312

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Got 680- journey has to be on [#permalink] New post 13 May 2014, 03:43
I fully agree with the experts regarding the focus to be made in your next attempt.

Furthermore, you should work on verbal before working on quant since the jump from Q49-Q50 will cost you time which you can use for V35-V38.

For quant:
Follow user bunuel and practice quants using tests offered by gmat club

For verbal:
Practice is the key
Use OG's,Aristotle RC 99, Aristotle grail series, GMAT question packs

CR has fixed errors of reasoning, try to find out those.

SC has rules of grammar and meaning errors.

RC: More passages huge success

Mocks:
Additional mocks offered by GMAC: GMAT exam pack

Rgds,
TGC!

Re: Got 680- journey has to be on   [#permalink] 13 May 2014, 03:43