Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 21:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Got 710 (Q45 V42), need 730 - how to get Q45 to Q48 in 4wks?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Got 710 (Q45 V42), need 730 - how to get Q45 to Q48 in 4wks? [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2011, 07:13
Hey everyone,

I hit 710 (Q45/71% V42/95%) on my first GMAT and am currently torn about how I should feel.
First things first: Yes, it was a relief to break into the 700s, and GMATclub was a great help along the way. Thank you all.

I will start to work in management consulting come march 2012, until then I am planning to invest 4 more weeks this January for my final GMAT prep.
I really want to to hit 730, as I feel my overall profile could give me a decent shot at HSW a few years down the road - and I will make sure the GMAT does not get in my way.

Here's where I am right now:
710 (Q45/71% V42/95%) means that my score is not very well-balanced.
My plan is to lift Q45 to Q48 while keeping V42.

Although I am not a native speaker, the verbal part seems easy.
I use no technique in CR or RC, usually just read the text and answer the question.
SC can be a bit tricky, but I took 6 years of Latin in high school, so I feel right at home in grammar discussions.

The quant section seems an awful lot harder to me - but if I want to improve my score, this is definitely the part I need to tackle!

Basically, my question is this:
What's the best way to lift a Q45 to a Q48+ in four weeks?

Materials I've used thus far to achieve 710:
1) Manhattan Strategy Guides
2) OG12

Materials I just bought to make the jump to 730:
1) Manhattan Advanced Quant
2) OG Quant Review

Any input appreciated - be it further questions, book recommendations, websites,... hit me!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GMAT 2: Q V0
GPA: 3.66
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 58

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Got 710 (Q45 V42), need 730 - how to get Q45 to Q48 in 4wks? [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 09:11
How's your quant stamina?
Do you know what components of the quant are your weaknesses?
Are you using an error log or other method to diagnose your performance?

You sound a little like me. The verbal comes extremely naturally to me but I can struggle in quant. When preparing for my first attempt (640, Q31 V44) I spent about 70% of my time on quant fundamentals, another 20% on practice problems, and 10% on verbal. Clearly that was not (for me) the right approach.

Seven weeks later I drastically improved my quant score to 48 (740, 48Q 44V)

Before my second exam, I focused on stamina building, and did 100% quant practice problems.
I also used an error log to identify that my problem solving abilities were stronger than my data sufficiency abilities, and that I had trouble with arithmetic, particularly on number property questions. I learned I was getting virtually none of my DS number problem questions right. Knowing this allowed me to revise my study plans somewhat to do some focused effort on DS and arithmetic

I think your key is to ensure your stamina is up to par so that you can attack each problem with the energy it deserves and to check to see that you are doing enough practice problems in your weak areas to make improvements.

I'd be happy to offer some more specific thoughts if you've already addressed these items above.
Happy studying!

Edited to add: I'm a manager in the human capital practice of a management consultancy, so I understand the workload demands of this career and I also travel 100%. No excuses :) You can carve out a weekend focused study plan with some weekday afterwork sessions. Your life might not be overly fun during this period, but it's possible.

GMAT Story http://gmatclub.com/forum/100-point-improvements-they-are-possible-124223.html
Profile/School Status http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-40.html#p1028789

Re: Got 710 (Q45 V42), need 730 - how to get Q45 to Q48 in 4wks?   [#permalink] 16 Dec 2011, 09:11