Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 10:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Got 710 (Q49, V35) after 2 days of studying.Should I retake?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS, Booth, Tuck, Fuqua, LBS
WE 1: International 4 years Industry
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Got 710 (Q49, V35) after 2 days of studying.Should I retake? [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2011, 01:10
Guys,
I had booked the day for GMAT a month ago with the assumption that I would study for a month but at the end due to unexpected business trips I couldn't study at all. I took of from work for two-days and int he first day I read all topics through MGMAT books and on the second day I took two MGMAT practice test in which I scored 640 and 670 respectively.
Just to make it clear, those tests were the only times I have ever seen a GMAT question.

I took the real test yesterday and I got a surprising 710 (Q49, V35).
I knew that my quant was very strong but I had a trouble with SC and it can easily be seen in my score.

If I study for a month I am almost sure that I can improve my score significantly.
I'm aiming for top10 and my undergrad GPA is very low.

Now the question is: Should I retake the test?

What do you think?

Cheers..
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Got 710 (Q49, V35) after 2 days of studying.Should I retake? [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2011, 07:16
alobar00 wrote:
I took the real test yesterday and I got a surprising 710 (Q49, V35).
I knew that my quant was very strong but I had a trouble with SC and it can easily be seen in my score.

If I study for a month I am almost sure that I can improve my score significantly.

Now the question is: Should I retake the test?

Great job man! "I think", this is a great score and should be more than enough for any school.

I know that you think you can "improve significantly", but based on what MANY individuals have experienced it may NOT all that be true. Lot of people have lucked out on the real GMAT - outlying their potential. I am, at NO means, implying that you can't, but based on your mock test score you definitely performed more than you expected in the real test. Check this thread out gmat-s-luck-factor-95184.html on what I mean by being lucked out.

Just because you scored great in this GMAT, does not guarantee that you will improve it "significantly" in a "short" time. Once you start studying for all aspects of GMAT critically, you will realize there is a LOT more GMAT has to offer. The study process sometimes overwhelms you as you start thinking more and even worse start doubting yourself until you are fully prepared/ready. But having said that, I am NOT denying that everybody has different potential and there are outliers. My only indent here is to introduce the generally accepted reality by stating this general fact, which I have observed by reading experiences from all types of individuals in this and other forums for past 3 months.

If I were you, I would put this score in my bank and focus on the next steps. Primarily because you have just saved hundreds of hrs of preparation and head banging - you have EARNED that edge. If I were you, I would use this edge for my advantage. But if you think you don't trust me then that's fine - totally acceptable :). In that case, I would recommend you should take a GMATPrep 1 test under similar testing conditions and see if you can reproduce the score. Perhaps retake the same test 1 on another day; since you have not practiced, you will NOT see any repeats and that should give you accurate results. Hopefully, this exercise should tell you where you stand exactly. And you if can reproduce both times similar score, then prepare for a month and give GMATPrep 2 again after the month, and maybe you can ace with an 800 :)

Good luck! Hope this help.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 4

Re: Got 710 (Q49, V35) after 2 days of studying.Should I retake? [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2011, 17:25
The greater the number of years you spend in your industry -- the lesser your UG GPA matters.
Re: Got 710 (Q49, V35) after 2 days of studying.Should I retake?   [#permalink] 04 Sep 2011, 17:25