Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 05:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

got 730 with quants 99 percentile...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

got 730 with quants 99 percentile... [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2004, 06:37
I got a score of 730. Wanted to know which schools to apply?

Done my graduation from REC and worked for three years in a manufacturing firm. Joined an IIM for a FPM (equivalent to PhD) course - studied there for 3 years could not complete - felt that i would not be able to come up with concrete research output and left.

Presently working with a group of entrepreneurs - abt 6 months. Developed a financial product and am into marketing and modifying the same.

What are the options i should be considering? I have taken courses in finance, systems and research methods. Also took a course in econometrics.

I know i wont make it to any of the top 4 or 5 institutes. Should i consider applying at Chicago, Maryland or go for lower ranked institutes. I have two fields in mind. One is Systems development because i have taken a lot of courses in the same. I have identified that for systems - Carneige Mellon, Maryland and Texas are good. Any other institute say from 10th to 15th ranked one and what are the chances of my making it there?

Another area which I am comfortable with is Finance...

Shall i try for Financial engineering course? WIll i make it at Haas berkley or Cornell - especially with 99 percentile in quants. Also can you recomment other institutes in FE with good placement record...and i dont have any experience in Finance apart from 4 courses i took at IIM and have done a bit of trading.

Eagerly waiting for your reply
Regards.
P.S.: If I get a reco from someone who is reputed and a PhD from any of the top 5, say Wharton then is it that my chances of getting admitted there increases?

To be or not to be....

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2004, 07:08
Expert's post
For what you're interested in, and given your own assessment of your chances, I think CMU, Maryland, and Texas are good choices. You will probably have a good chance of getting into at least one of those if you successfully differentiate yourself with some interesting non-work related experiences.

About the reco, I doubt it would make much of a difference. Make sure to get it from a good writer who know syou well. That's the most important thing.

Best,
Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews