Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:03 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Mortar Board, Order of Omega, AMA
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing
 Q46  V47
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Duke
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Duke
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: Got 750 today (46Q, 47V)-Now What [#permalink]
So here is one thing I think you need to straighten out for yourself first - it is an inconsistency I am spotting in your thought process:

Quote:
I ended up scoring significantly higher than my highest practice test (720), and I am very pleased, but this has put a bit of a kink in my plans. I was assuming that I would score high 600's low 700's and get my MBA at my current University, and that I would then study REALLY hard and retake the gmat in a year or two to get a score that could get me admitted into a marketing or business and public policy phd somewhere. Now that I have the 750, I don't know if going to such a low ranked mba program is going to damage my academic resume.

So if you had not scored that high on the GMAT you would have been perfectly happy with your school? And now that you have scored high, you are not, right? Well, then you said this:

Quote:
I feel like I have built up a pretty great resume during my time in undergrad (selected top marketing graduate, first business student to receive an undergraduate research fellowship, solid gpa, tons of campus involvement including leadership positions) but the I was told I was "overqualified" for two internships I applied for

To me this doesn't make much sense together with the above statement. Again, to me this does not look like a low profile school applicant to begin with even with a 630 GMAT. Sure you do not have WE yet, but among the 'youngsters' going to B-school you seem to have a top profile.....so I am seriously questioning whether you ever really wanted to attend B-school at your current school. I'd give that some more thought and that just may eliminate one of your choices ;-) Sorry if this has a harsh undertone, not really meant that way, I am just a direct person.

And hey why do you want a MBA when you ultimately want a (possibly) business PhD ??
Intern
Intern
 Q46  V47
Send PM
ThomasD wrote:
So here is one thing I think you need to straighten out for yourself first - it is an inconsistency I am spotting in your thought process:

Quote:
I ended up scoring significantly higher than my highest practice test (720), and I am very pleased, but this has put a bit of a kink in my plans. I was assuming that I would score high 600's low 700's and get my MBA at my current University, and that I would then study REALLY hard and retake the gmat in a year or two to get a score that could get me admitted into a marketing or business and public policy phd somewhere. Now that I have the 750, I don't know if going to such a low ranked mba program is going to damage my academic resume.

So if you had not scored that high on the GMAT you would have been perfectly happy with your school? And now that you have scored high, you are not, right? Well, then you said this:

Quote:
I feel like I have built up a pretty great resume during my time in undergrad (selected top marketing graduate, first business student to receive an undergraduate research fellowship, solid gpa, tons of campus involvement including leadership positions) but the I was told I was "overqualified" for two internships I applied for

To me this doesn't make much sense together with the above statement. Again, to me this does not look like a low profile school applicant to begin with even with a 630 GMAT. Sure you do not have WE yet, but among the 'youngsters' going to B-school you seem to have a top profile.....so I am seriously questioning whether you ever really wanted to attend B-school at your current school. I'd give that some more thought and that just may eliminate one of your choices ;-) Sorry if this has a harsh undertone, not really meant that way, I am just a direct person.

And hey why do you want a MBA when you ultimately want a (possibly) business PhD ??

LOL no worries about the tone or directness - if I wanted someone to sugar coat it for me I would have talked to my Mom or sorority sisters. Part of the reason that I think I need to pursue an MBA is build up a more solid mathematical background before applying for a phd - I spent a lot of time and effort during my undergrad taking courses in special topics in business, women's studies and poli sci, and not doing any more math than was required.

I laughed because your confusion over whether or not I want to attend grad school at my current University mirrors my own. I originally considered applying to be the first student to be accepted into a new phd program here, and ended up chaning my mind about doing a phd here. I think my decision is going to come down to what kind of scholarship package I am offered, unless I hear from someone in the "business phd world" that having an mba from such a low ranked school is going to hurt me in my future application. I like the focus of the program here, I could complete it in 16 months and this University does provide a tremendous amount of access to resources...

So that's what I am thinking for now. Thanks for the input, and for pointing out the inconsistencies!

Originally posted by epercy19 on 23 Mar 2010, 19:37.
Last edited by epercy19 on 25 Mar 2010, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
What quantitative courses would you take during the MBA program? Are they intended to prepare you for a PhD or is it going to be little more than modeling in Excel? Do you have any details on the course outline, readings etc? What research opportunities would be available to you during the MBA? Would these still be available if you were not an enrolled student?

EDIT: Also, which schools are you targeting for your eventual PhD applications? Which branch of marketing? What are your research interests?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72861 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
First of all, congratulations!

Tough situation. On one hand - you can get into a lower ranked program now vs. looking for a job, getting something very low level, and not getting into top 20 a year from now due to a weak work experience. Let me make it easy for you - getting an MBA without work experience is going to suck - your classmates wont' respect you; you won't have any skills/experience/hooks/connections after graduation or for the internship. You will be much better off working a few years and getting your feet wet.

It sounds like you are pretty smart and good with things - 750 is not easy to get; you should be able to get a decent job and work towards a career. Afterall an MBA is for those who want to further their career, not start :) (though that's changing).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
I agree with BB here. Definitely get some work experience on your resume before applying for MBA. You already got a 750 so I am sure you are smart enough to get a decent job.

You will then be set for a great resume and apply to some top MBA schools
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
hey

first, congrats on getting a great score and on beating your practice scores by such a large margin

second, i just wanted to share a few things i learned in my own process to b school (i'm still an applicant, and a younger one, although slightly older than you).

the MBA and the PhD are largely incongruent with each other. the MBA, although it does give you some mathematical background, is really more about teaching a broad selection of skills and improving your marketability and leadership abilities for a future position in industry. the PhD is largely an academic degree, used primarily in research and teaching.

getting the MBA solely for the math skills would not be a good investment of your time or money IMO. a masters in mathematics or something related might be better, but it would be hard to say without knowing what you want to ultimately get your PhD in.

if you're 100% set about getting your PhD, you might be better off looking at alternative positions if you can't find a good job (and believe me, i know it's still very tough to land a job). maybe working for a nonprofit, or working at your university in a department relevant to what you ultimately want to do.

also, consider posting this question in the admissions consultants subforum to see what sort of feedback you get from them. good luck
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Congrats.
Intern
Intern
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Buttermaker wrote:
What quantitative courses would you take during the MBA program? Are they intended to prepare you for a PhD or is it going to be little more than modeling in Excel? Do you have any details on the course outline, readings etc? What research opportunities would be available to you during the MBA? Would these still be available if you were not an enrolled student?

EDIT: Also, which schools are you targeting for your eventual PhD applications? Which branch of marketing? What are your research interests?

The course outline for the MBA program is:

Fall 1:

•Financial and Managerial Accounting
•Quantitative and Research Methods
•Managerial Economics
•Organizational Behavior and Theory
•Business Law, Corporate Social Responsibility, & Ethics
•Negotiations & Communications

Spring:

•Applied Financial Management
•Marketing Management
•Innovation and Entrepreneurial Management
•Decision Sciences and Systems Analysis

Summer:

Students will participate in Experiential Learning Projects administered from the campus. Students will have access to COB facilities to perform analysis and develop recommendations, although it is expected that the students will spend substantial amounts of time on site at the sponsoring clients' facilities.

Fall 2:

•Capstone Strategy Course with sustainability overtones
•9 credit hours of graduate-level electives in- or outside the College of Business

I am currently researching the opportunity to secure money to fund a GA position(which is not present in the MBA program) through the Academic Affairs Office here at the University. I could then take my GA through Academic Affairs and use that position to assist oany professor i wish, provided they are interested in having a "free" GA assist in their research. This opporutnity does require that I am a full time student.

As far as schools and research opportunities for the phd, I conducted independent undergraduate research on the use of microexpressions in marketing, but I would be most intersted in pursuing research in the areas of sustainable business practices and how they are effectively marketed to consumers and /or business and public policy as they relate to sustainable business practices. I don't have defined targets yet, but would prefer the California/Washington/Oregon schools because I think that they generally have faculty who are more inclined to pursue research in sustainable business practices, and I am kind of a midwest/west coast girl.

My University is accredited AACSB too, in case that makes a difference.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
epercy19 wrote:

•Quantitative and Research Methods
•9 credit hours of graduate-level electives in- or outside the College of Business

These would be useful. :-D How quantitative do you anticipate your work at PhD level will be? I couldn't really tell from the description of your research interests. If it's going to be mostly behavioural, then doing well in a sequence of doctoral level statistics for the social sciences courses should allay all fears of your quantitative background. The managerial economics course could also help if you need to take a basic applied micro course as part of your PhD program's GPR.

Quote:
I don't have defined targets yet, but would prefer the California/Washington/Oregon schools because I think that they generally have faculty who are more inclined to pursue research in sustainable business practices, and I am kind of a midwest/west coast girl.

If you're not targeting an elite program, then I don't think your school's name (coupled with what I assume to be the relative anonymity of your professors) should be too much of a problem provided your profile is strong elsewhere. If you keep up your research activity and add a publication, you'd have a shot at some good schools.

The thing is, unless you want to completely rule out attending a higher ranked or more disciplinary focused program, you might be better served acquiring an academically oriented master's degree in a cognate or parent discipline to marketing and public policy. There aren't many options available in the US but you could find something useful in Canada or the UK. Unfortunately, most deadlines have passed but it's not too late for an application to a place like the LSE. If you can wait a year, you could look at Columbia and Chicago (QMSS and MAPSS respectively). I've heard rumours that Chicago doesn't treat their students all that well though so you may want to look into that if you're considering them.

I think it would be a good idea to research your target PhD programs immediately. If they're lower ranked but fit your interests then sticking with your current university, especially if they give you a full ride, should be fine. If you're targeting Stanford GSB or Haas, you may want to look elsewhere.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Also, it's unfortunate but you may need to bump up your GMAT quant score to around 49.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
 Q47  V35
Send PM
Congrats !!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
I think the question here is what do you want to do long term? The MBA is a professional degree- thats a whole different ball of wax from an academic degree. Im not sure why the MBA has even entered into the discussion here as it sounds like you are more interested in pure research. Ive had a couple of MBA courses before as part of my masters degree, and they more assuredly are NOT cutting-edge research focused. If anything I wonder if an MBA would damage your academic resume if you are looking to move into pure research and teaching at the university level (eventually).

I dont think doing the MBA right away is a good thing, especially if its for the reason that there "arent any good jobs". There werent any good jobs either when I graduated undergrad in 1999 or grad in 2002 coming out of a no-name program (anthro and econ respectively). There never are until you start building up a network and that takes time. Having the work and life experience to understand arguments and ask questions relating to business issues you have personally observed or experienced is invaluable for getting the most out of the program, and contributing the most as well. And after two years, then what? You are in an even greater Catch-22- back in the same job pool as recent undergrads, but now grossly overqualified in the eyes of entry-level hiring managers, and untested in the eyes of MBA hiring managers. Learning from a book is not the same as doing. If you are trying to plug quant holes, then why not take a fifth year of school and load up on stats, calc, and even data mining capabilities? Or go part time and work part time?

That 750 is good for 5 years- have you spoken to a trusted adviser about your ambitions? I would forgo applying to the MBA now and take some time to fully find out where you want to go and why and whats necessary. Also- learn to be skeptical about higher education. Remember always that higher education is first and foremost a business- a revamped MBA makes me wonder what was going on before, and Im not sure I would want to be a guinea pig for a new revised program that hasnt had all the kinks worked out yet.

Finally if you take a year out to do the PhD application then please dont look upon it as "doing nothing". Take the time to do as much as you can- take courses that would help your application, find a job and do volunteer work, come up with side projects to pursue on your own, etc. Ensure you have the desire and stamina to finish the PhD and that its what you really want- please read Chronicle of Higher Education for in-depth understanding of issues facing faculty and TAs throughout the country.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
congratulations!!!!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37300 posts