Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 16:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Got a 440, and a conditional offer from top b school in asia

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Got a 440, and a conditional offer from top b school in asia [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2014, 23:17
I need advice on taking the GMAT. My background:

1st gmat score 320 sept 10 2013 studied using the online mgmat package around , was scoring 520 after 2 months then i think i got burnt out the last 2 months and had a really tough schedule at work at the later part of my prep, 3 weeks before exam date my work schedule got really crazy and was not able to focus on studying. Total months of study was 5-6 months

2nd gmat score 440 nov 1 2013- attended a weekend class plus a one on one coaching, spent almost 4,000 USD for both. total months of study 1.35 months (started studying last week of september until october 31, test was november 1)

I got a conditional offer to study in a very reputable school here in Asia, conditional offer if I get an acceptable score (600) and I need to submit my score latest by June 1, 2014. This course is ranked number 2 in financial times. Credit goes to my interview which I did well I believe. I applied for a masters program not an MBA.

I also got a full offer from a European school for the same course. Not ranked as the program is only a year old but very promising and they are partner school with the asia school where I got the conditional offer. I did well on my phone interview.

If I take the exam late may, I only have 2 months to prepare for the exam, do you guys think its doable to go from 440 to 600 in 2 months? I have huge difficulties in quant. And my work hours vary from 12-15 hours a day. But if I really feel its doable I will go register for the exam in May 30

Thanks

SpecialK0003
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 539

Kudos [?]: 2260 [0], given: 31

Re: Got a 440, and a conditional offer from top b school in asia [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2014, 09:19
Expert's post
specialK0003 wrote:
I need advice on taking the GMAT. My background:

1st gmat score 320 sept 10 2013 studied using the online mgmat package around , was scoring 520 after 2 months then i think i got burnt out the last 2 months and had a really tough schedule at work at the later part of my prep, 3 weeks before exam date my work schedule got really crazy and was not able to focus on studying. Total months of study was 5-6 months

2nd gmat score 440 nov 1 2013- attended a weekend class plus a one on one coaching, spent almost 4,000 USD for both. total months of study 1.35 months (started studying last week of september until october 31, test was november 1)

I got a conditional offer to study in a very reputable school here in Asia, conditional offer if I get an acceptable score (600) and I need to submit my score latest by June 1, 2014. This course is ranked number 2 in financial times. Credit goes to my interview which I did well I believe. I applied for a masters program not an MBA.

I also got a full offer from a European school for the same course. Not ranked as the program is only a year old but very promising and they are partner school with the asia school where I got the conditional offer. I did well on my phone interview.

If I take the exam late may, I only have 2 months to prepare for the exam, do you guys think its doable to go from 440 to 600 in 2 months? I have huge difficulties in quant. And my work hours vary from 12-15 hours a day. But if I really feel its doable I will go register for the exam in May 30

Thanks

SpecialK0003

Dear SpecialK0003,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

I want to support you in doing this. It's a big challenge, but I believe you can do it.

First of all, here's a one-month study schedule --- it's very intense, so given your work schedule, you may want to pursue it at half-tempo, taking two weeks to complete every week of the schedule.
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/1-month-gm ... -schedule/

Between now and the end of May, do not touch a calculator. I want you to practice mental math every day --- addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, each every day. Estimation is a huge GMAT Quant skill: practice estimating every day with ugly real world numbers. Here's a blog on estimation:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/the-power- ... mat-quant/

Here's a blog about number sense, with several recommendations for how to build number sense:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/number-sense-for-the-gmat/

Here's a blog about out-of-the-box thinking in GMAT math:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/how-to-do- ... th-faster/

Math happens in the details. One thing that would help you a great deal is posting on GMAT Club individual math questions you have gotten wrong. Many questions in standard sources (OG< MGMAT, etc.) have already been posted, so always do a search first --- it may be that if you read through what experts say on thread, you can figure out everything you need. If not, post to the thread, and be detailed in explaining what you understand and what you don't understand. You are always more than welcome to send me a private message if you would like my input.

Here's a powerful strategy for mental arithmetic:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/doubling-a ... gmat-math/
Finally, I want to recommend Magoosh. I realize you have already spent a great deal of money on your test prep. Compared to some of those other sources, Magoosh is much less expensive. We have 100+ math lessons that will cover everything from square one, all the content and strategies you will need. Here, for free, is a PS question:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/2613
Here's a free DS question:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/1022
When you submit your answer to either of those, the next page will have a full video explanation. Each one of Magoosh's 800+ GMAT practice questions has its own video explanation --- that immediate feedback is exactly what can bring rapid improvements in understanding.

Even if you decide not to purchase Magoosh, I hope you get everything you can out of that free blog. There is a ton of resources there, material that can really help you.

Best of luck to you!
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Expert Post
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Affiliations: Economist GMAT Tutor
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 3

Premium Member
Re: Got a 440, and a conditional offer from top b school in asia [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2014, 10:36
Expert's post
Congrats on receiving your conditional offer! A 440 to a 600 is possible, but it will take a lot of work and time. You mention that you regularly work 12+ hour days, and that jumped out at me. Is there any way you can take off some time to focus on your GMAT prep? A 100+ point jump is quite significant and it will be challenging to find the time to devote to your studies if you are working so many hours.

Regards,

Elizabeth

http://econgm.at/GCfreetrial
For free GMAT practice questions, follow us @econgmat_qs
Economist GMAT Tutor
(866) 292-0660

Re: Got a 440, and a conditional offer from top b school in asia   [#permalink] 21 Mar 2014, 10:36