Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 19:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Got a 580..need 700....please advise

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Got a 580..need 700....please advise [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2012, 13:05
Hi Folks, I'm yet another hopefully looking to get into a top ten MBA. My top choice is actually Yale but I will also to a few other MBAs.

I started studying about 4 months ago - this includes a couple of weeks off due to sickness etc. I bought the MGMAT books and went through all 8 books. I didn't take a diagnostic exam because I knew I would totally fail. Anyways, finished the MGMAT 8 strategy guides and the in the last month took a total of 7 practice exams. Here are my scores

On 5 MGMAT Cat exams I got a 590, a 570, a 570, a 590, and a 590.
On two actual GMAT prep exams on first one I got a ..you guessed it I got a 590 and then a 560.

Please note on the Verbal I was around 70% and on Quant I was around 40%. After every exam, I basically would go through the questions and figure out what I got wrong. There were definitely questions then when I retried, I got right or couldn't believe I got them wrong.

I took exam last Sat and got a ...wait for it....580. About 70% verbal and about 40% on Quant. My goal is 700 or at least 680 to have a shot at Yale.

Do you think its possible to increase GMAT score by another 100 points? I'm going to take it next year since I don't think I'll be able to in any good schools this year. So I have a year to prepare myself. Also looking into signing up for an actual course. Unfortunately after taking 6 exams on MGMAT, I can't really take their exams and see if I'm improving. I am basically going to start off with doing every single question on the 800 questions GMAT book and then also attempting the 300 questions verbal/quant books from GMAT.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Please post here or email me at bravo205@gmail.com
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 30

Re: Got a 580..need 700....please advise [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2012, 17:48
First, keep your head up. Really though, don't be too hard on yourself. Of course it is possible to see big improvement. Humans are capable of great feats as long as we are determined and diligent.

I would go over the fundamentals again. With a 40 percent on quant and 70 percent on verbal, you most likely still need a firmer grasp on the concepts.

Focus on your weak areas. You have the potential to see the most bang for your buck as you dedicate time to improving weaknesses.

I would definitely do more practice problems. The official guide is great as are the other books that you mentioned. Dedicate time to reviewing answer explanations and keeping an error log to tack why you get certain problems wrong. Some other good resources for practice questions include the GMAT Club forums/free resources and Kaplan question bank.

Good luck.

Give Kudos if my post was helpful!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 6

Re: Got a 580..need 700....please advise [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2012, 22:03
@ bravo205: Have you looked at Kaplan Math workbook or Jeff Sackman. You need to improve on your math to improve your score. Also try to be active on the forum. I think this forum has the best math discussions from what I have seen.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 63

Re: Got a 580..need 700....please advise [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2012, 02:49
you could try this link for video solutions of OG absolutely amazing explanations. Quant can only improve with practice and having strong foundations. Don't worry to much be positive and results will show.

http://www.gmatquantum.com/
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Got a 580..need 700....please advise [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2012, 08:05
Thank you much for the advice. I'm extremely positive so I'm not really in need of a pep talk haha more looking for real concrete solutions and if Quant can actually be improved from a 40% to 80%.

I've heard of Kaplan obviously but no didn't know about that specific resource. I'm adding it to my list so absolutely will look into it.

I haven't been too active on the forum but clearly I'm here now.

Just one question: I've already taken 5 MGMAT tests exams, is there another place to take exams where I won't see repeat questions and will know if I'm actually improving.

Also, on the day of my exam I saw a girl who was taking the exam as a practice..at the test center...I'm gonna try to look into that and see if I can do that maybe in April after 3-4 months of studying.

Please do post any other resources that you might have. I'm also scanning all the other posts. THANK YOU all for the reply, you guys don't realize how helpful these replys are so thank you again.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 110 [1] , given: 63

Re: Got a 580..need 700....please advise [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2012, 08:21
This post received
KUDOS
you could try the gmat club tests or take some of these free tests from other GMAT prep firms.

all-gmat-cat-practice-tests-links-prices-reviews-77460.html

Veritas has their question bank where you can choose questions to work on its free at the moment not sure for how long (maximum 50 at a time)

http://www.veritasprep.com/gmat-question-bank/

Also you can take the kaplan's free 20 minute work out

http://www.kaplanworkout.com/play

You have to sign up to get access!
Re: Got a 580..need 700....please advise   [#permalink] 07 Nov 2012, 08:21