Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 01:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Got a 640 (Q42, V36) - Need to retake for B-school appl. ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Got a 640 (Q42, V36) - Need to retake for B-school appl. ? [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2006, 07:41
First off, this is a great site and - you know the line - I wish I had come across this place a lot sooner. I assume that some of you will smile at the above score but I would still appreciate your feedback.

I just sat the GMAT yesterday and have mixed feelings about my score: While I think that 640 is a realistic reflection of how I performed that day I don't know if it will get me where I want to get - that would be within one of the top 20 US or the top 10 in Europe. My ideal score would have been 650-700.

At the danger of repeating something that was posted already: The actual look and feel is just like the GMATPrep. Q seemed similar in terms of difficulty though quite focussed on Number Props. V to my surprise was quite difficult (some RC questions were in fact CR) and judging from my score (I only missed the last question on V) I must have been pretty mediocre (I am not a native speaker but would consider myself fairly proficient when it comes to English and did well while practicing on even the harder CR questions) - not only by my standards.

I had a total of 2 months prep time for the whole thing (including two weeks of almost full time during holiday) - though admittedly I studied last year for about 2 weeks and took the PowerPrep and shot a 550 without preparation. This year I think I did the best of what my time allowed me (usually 50 hour working week and stressfull job) - so I often got up earlier in the morning to study for an hour or so and would mostly use the weekends to study and practice. I had graduated 5 years ago and my math was already a bit rusty (except for percentages :lol: ).

My question is if I should already plan on retaking the GMAT or wait till the schools I will be applying to say: Hey you got a nice app. but why don't you take the GMAT again (which would be the "positive-negative" response) ? I feel that while I was lucky in the math section as I did quite some educated guessing I could have done better in V (though the tests with GMATPrep showed a 630 and 620 - what had changed as well was that the 620 test had opposed to the first one a similarly weak V as the real).

What are my chances of scoring higher ? I feel that as for Q I could at best keep what I did today and would be in danger of scoring lower; for V I could do better. What are you opinions ?

P.S.: To be honest, I am not eager to retake the test . :lol:
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2006, 09:13
Well, I think you might have answered your own question. You should only re-take the test if you feel you can do better, probably 30 points better at least to justify the additional time and effort you will need to put into it. You say that 640 is a pretty accurate representation, that your actual score was better than your GMATprep, that you may have capped out your Q score, that you are extremely busy with work and that you are not eager to take it again.

The reality is that 640 below the 80% middle range of 1-15 schools, and is near the bottom of the middle range of 16-20 schools. If other parts of your application are exceptional you still have a shot. But if other parts of your application are average (or below average) or if you are from a tough demographic your chances are probably slim at most top 20 schools. Even so, it only makes sense to take the test again if you plan to put in the work to do better. It makes no sense to go in without additional preperation just to score at the same level again. Good luck.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Got a 640 (Q42, V36) - Need to retake for B-school appl. ? [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2006, 09:17
Actually Pelihu raises a good point. Another thing is to do well, you really have to be motivated be willing to re-take the test. Since I know that it is a pain to the test over, a lot depends on how you feel about it and how your overall application package is.

Good luck
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2006, 10:50
.... thanks for your feedback, guess I'll give it a try with my current score and see what happens. pelihu is for sure right in that without additional work there is no real prospect of significantly pushing my score. I'm sort of torn between knowing that I feel I could do better given enough prep time and (right now) not really willing to spend so much more time preparing for a single test.

Anyway, good luck for everybody with everything here.
  [#permalink] 28 Sep 2006, 10:50