Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2014, 00:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Got a 660, need a 700 before September , Pls Help !!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Got a 660, need a 700 before September , Pls Help !!! [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2012, 00:21
Hi there, Just gave my GMAT yesterday and got a score of 660 . Got a 50 in Quant but bombed the verbal section , got only a score of 30.

Being a non native speaker , found it difficult to score in Verbal ( haven't prepared much for it either ). Planning to give a retake somewhere around Mid August .

Advice needed on the below;

1) Is 1.5 months of preparation enough to improve my score in verbal , pretty good at quant ( so no headaches there ) and reach a score of 700.
2) When does the round 1 start for most universities ? I hope I wont be missing out on the application for any of the good universities, if I give the retake in August.

Please help !!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 640 Q39 V38
WE: General Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 3

Re: Got a 660, need a 700 before September , Pls Help !!! [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2012, 02:53
Hi,

Must congratulate you on impressive Q score. Lets swap the scores, as my handicap is quant. Jokes apart, I feel you can increase your score drastically if you reach to 80th percentile or a score of 36 in verbal, which is very much possible considering that you haven't paid much attention to verbal and your verbal score is quite low.

SC is the one area where you should pay maximum attention. As has been advised by many in this forum and else where, you should consult Manhattan SC guide only and then do practice through Official source i.e. OG 10, 11 and 12 and subsequently take help of GMAT Prep Question bank posted on this website. Do let me know if you do not find them here.

Second sub section which you should focus on is CR. I personally like Powerscore CR guide because it helped me to understand the type of questions asked and their relative importance. Once you have done this book, your RC will be taken care of automatically. In both these sub sections, inference and main idea questions are the one which normally give trouble to non native speakers.

Through a lot of practice, you will be able to understand the pattern and tricks adopted by GMAC and a hit rate of 70-75% will be possible.

All the best.
Intern
Intern

Re: Got a 660, need a 700 before September , Pls Help !!! [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2012, 03:11
Thanks a lot Manjeet for the reply. Yeah, if only we could have swapped the scores . :) :)

Do I need to do one more practice test to see which sections I am facing trouble in. Also considering my current workload, it's difficult to do all the questions in the books you mentioned. So wanted to know how to split it up and do questions in different books and of different levels as in Verbal I am stuck in the 500-600 level itself.

Also I practiced by reading the materials from the books and am not used to sitting in front of the comp and reading passages which is kind of a big strain for me. So I need to develop that too right ? any suggestions ??

Also I hope that I have time till Sept for getting the 700 mark right and applying??

Thanks !!
Intern
Intern

Re: Got a 660, need a 700 before September , Pls Help !!! [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2012, 02:17
Need help in verbal . Just started doing MGMAT SC and OG 12 and realised that my basics in grammar itself is very weak. Need to get the basics right before proceeding with the sections in these books. Could you please suggest some books/online material which will help me in brushing up the basics.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.22
WE: Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 16

Re: Got a 660, need a 700 before September , Pls Help !!! [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2012, 04:20
akhilmk1 wrote:
Need help in verbal . Just started doing MGMAT SC and OG 12 and realised that my basics in grammar itself is very weak. Need to get the basics right before proceeding with the sections in these books. Could you please suggest some books/online material which will help me in brushing up the basics.

Just focus with what you have first. The two will give you a very strong foundation in sentence correction. Don't forget to time your practice and use an error log. In reality, the verbal question type that is easiest to improve is sentence correction. :)

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
- T. Roosevelt

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1087

Kudos [?]: 4875 [0], given: 163

Re: Got a 660, need a 700 before September , Pls Help !!! [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2012, 22:27
Expert's post
akhilmk1 wrote:

Sentence Correction is not about Grammar. It is about logic. You will not be asked to recognize parts of speech in SC questions. All you need to be able to say is whether the sentence is correct or not. The decision is based on logic and meaning. Read these excellent articles written by Brian:

http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2011/06 ... trategies/
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2011/04 ... orrection/

They will help you understand how to prepare for SC.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Current Student
Affiliations: UWC
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 100

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Got a 660, need a 700 before September , Pls Help !!! [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2012, 00:10
Why not try egmat? Personally, I have not enrolled in any of their courses but their articles and drills on this forum have been immensely helpful to me.
Re: Got a 660, need a 700 before September , Pls Help !!!   [#permalink] 02 Jul 2012, 00:10