Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 08:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Got a 700 and need help!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Should I take the GMAT again?

You may select 1 option
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Got a 700 and need help! [#permalink] New post 18 May 2004, 19:02
Hi,

I took my GMAT a few weeks ago and scored a 700 (V-34, M-50). My essay scores are yet to arrive. It was rather disappointing because, through my prep, I always scored between 720 (it was my diagnostic score) and 780.

I have an eight-month work experience and right now taking a break. I plan to apply for a course starting in Fall 2005 and hope to goto an Ivy League institution. So, what should I be doing? Taking the test again or trying to make a great application? Some suggest that the score is high enough (and might be I score lesser in a re-try, what would schools think of me) and I should be finding my next job. However, equally compelling are some others who suggest that I should take the test again in full vigor (because this surely wasn't my best attempt at the test).

I have experience in both marketing and research setups. First, in the research setup, I was responsible for the vertical development of a common car jack for the company's product range, and pre-lim test vehicle layout design in an auto major. I was part of a two-man team to market research, design and first-step validate the projects. Second, in the marketing setup, I was a dealer account manager for an another auto-major and my work involved managing complete marketing and sales activities for a certain product-line in rural and suburban areas. I had 12 sales executives and a dealer manager under me. I initiated a CRM drive in the dealership, provided engineering inputs to the sales team, explored new segments and executed a new sales strategy for the dealer. In addition, market researched key account customers for developing products more in line with their needs. At school, I was a team leader for a university project and did a few research projects.

The situation has gotten me in a spot. A day before the test, a friend asked me, "What score would you loathe?" and I had replied, "700! Because I wouldn't know what to do next." And that's what has come true!

Hope to get the forum's perspective.

Best Regards,
Gaurav
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 50

Re: Got a 700 and need help! [#permalink] New post 19 May 2004, 07:18
Expert's post
encyclo wrote:
The situation has gotten me in a spot. A day before the test, a friend asked me, "What score would you loathe?" and I had replied, "700! Because I wouldn't know what to do next." And that's what has come true!

The short answer that I would give you is DON'T take the test again. I know that it's hard to swallow that advice when you're confident that you can do better, but a 700 will not keep you out of ANY school. Heck, even Stanford (the school that usually has the highest mean GMAT score) only has an average score of around 710. So, nearly half of the people they admit have a score below yours.

The best way to think of the GMAT is that a bad score (which you definitely DO NOT have) alone can keep you out, but a great score alone will not get you in. Our advice for applicants has always been to do well enough on the GMAT to be near a target school's average, and then focus on the other, harder (and more important) parts of your application. That especially means your essays and your recommendations.

Will moving up from a 700 to a 750 make it any more likely that you'll get into a top school? Not really. Will spending that time and energy to take your essays from good to great get you into one of those schools? It's much more likely. My advice is to FORGET about the GMAT now. It's done. You did fine! Now focus on the real meat of your application.

About your work experience, I didn't completely understand your note on your work experience. Do you mean that you've only been working for eight months since college? If so, I'd get another year or two of experience before I applied. Schools will want to see a lot of maturity and a record of accomplishment (both of which are far more important than your GMAT score).

Good luck!
Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews