Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm probably going to give a slightly different answer than some others here, however I'm in the same boat as you. I was practicing in the 750-770 range, and I got a 730 on test day. I did much worse on the verbal section than in any of my practice tests. I set a personal cut-off of 730 to re-take, but unfortunately I didn't decide if 730 was the lowest score I would be happy with, or if 730 was the score at which I would re-take. I decided to re-take and I'm going in for my second try in a week.

Here's what you should ask yourself in order to decide:
1. Do you think you will do better on Q if you take it again. The answer seems to be yes, as your other scores were all higher.
2. Do you think you can maintain or improve on your V score. You're the only one that can answer this based on your test experience.
3. Do you have time to take the test again? You must wait 31 days before taking it again, and if you are planning to apply this year, time may be getting short.
4. You'll probably have to do a minimum level of studying just to maintain your current level, and you may need to devote another month of serious studying in order to be as sure as possible that you can do better and are not just wasting your time. Are you up for it?

I think if you sit down and think about these questions, you'll have an answer. 710 is great, but if your past performance indicates that you can get into the 750 range, it's probably worth it. You are looking into top schools, so yes 710 is in the ballpark, but 750+ can be a factor that helps separate you from a crowd.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
Re: Got a 710 today (45Q, 41V), should I retake? [#permalink]
shantog wrote:

Should I retake? I'm looking to go to the top schools, but wanted to hear what you guys thought about the score. I know its in the ballpark, but I also know that had I not royall f***ed up on the math, I'd be in the 750 range.

Is it worth it?

You need to also increase your V to 44. If you think you can do that, and at the same time hit a 49 for Q, then go ahead and make yourself happy. Otherwise, be happy with 710 and focus on the rest of your apps. It is a good score.

And save yourself $200. All the best.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I was in a similar situation. I scored a 710. I was pretty excited. But the more I thought about it, the more I wondered why I didn't score near where I had in practice - between 750 and 770. I started worrying about my GPA (wasn't great) and the fact that I majored in History in undergrad. I thought they might question my quantitative abilities. So, six weeks after I took the GMAT, I took a practice test for fun. Again, I scored in the high 700s. On a whim, I booked the test. Didn't study anymore, just hoped that all of the studying from the previous attempt would pan out. I got a 760 last friday.

In retrospect, I wonder if I should have taken it. I DEFINITELY wouldn't have taken it again if I had to re-study. It was basically 4 hours and $250 out of my life. I've been so busy with essays that I wouldn't have had any time to study.

Also, I've HEARD (never heard firsthand of this actually happening, though) that adcomms will 'question your judgment' if you re-take the GMAT after scoring 700+. Especially if your essays aren't top notch. I realize now that I'm extremely lucky that I scored so much better. I don't think it would have looked great if I had scored only 10 points or so higher - or even scored lower. The fact is, I was more interested in getting a top score for me (I'm competitive) and for my resume post-MBA.

Finally, I just hope that if the Adcomms do notice, that they'll just think 'oh, she had a bad day the first time around'. And not assume that I spent lots of time studying again. I think my essays are pretty good (Rhyme's read them), so I don't want them to think that a somewhat useless GMAT retake took up all my time.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 323 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
First of all CONGRATULATIONS, 710 shake the room.

Second, only you will now if you need to retake the exam. Remember that the GMAT is not everything. You need to evaluate your Work Exp, Essays, GPA, Letters of Recommendation, Other Activities, etc..

I would be more than happy if I got a score like yours.

CHEERS!!!!
:beer
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 269 [0]
Send PM
Re: Got a 710 today (45Q, 41V), should I retake? [#permalink]
shantog wrote:
My 3rd attempt at the GMATs, and this time I finally studied the Verbal (thanks to Manhattan GMAT's SC Guide).

However, I bombed on the math. I freaked at the first two questions, spent an inordinate amount of time on them, and then had to guess on the last few questions due to lack of time.

On my practice GMATs, I was scoring 49 - 50 in the Quant section.

Should I retake? I'm looking to go to the top schools, but wanted to hear what you guys thought about the score. I know its in the ballpark, but I also know that had I not royall f***ed up on the math, I'd be in the 750 range.

Is it worth it?

You are the best person to answer this quesiton!

Ask your self what are your target scholls? top schools will mind low quant! yOu may able to compensate with strong undergrad GPA

and make sure that you are confident about improving score next trials!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think if you are confident about a 750 go ahead. I think it's much easier to improve Quant rather than improve verbal. With a bit of practise you'll surely hit 49/50 levels in Quant. Just hold on to the verbal.. and you'll cross 750.

Scoring in Quant is also much leniant..so that de-emphasises the luck factor.

I would say go ahead and crack the exam.Why settle for something less than you are capable of.
Quote:
You must wait 31 days before taking it again, and if you are planning to apply this year, time may be getting short.

Hey..can't the application be done in the 2nd round. I myself am planning to take the test somewhere in the 3rd week of October. (Cud not take it sooner bcoz of work).
Is it really a big disadvantage applying in Round2 viz a viz Round1.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Send PM
Got a 710 today (45Q, 41V), should I retake? [#permalink]
imjimmy wrote:
I think if you are confident about a 750 go ahead. I think it's much easier to improve Quant rather than improve verbal. With a bit of practise you'll surely hit 49/50 levels in Quant. Just hold on to the verbal.. and you'll cross 750.

Scoring in Quant is also much leniant..so that de-emphasises the luck factor.

I would say go ahead and crack the exam.Why settle for something less than you are capable of.
Quote:
You must wait 31 days before taking it again, and if you are planning to apply this year, time may be getting short.

Hey..can't the application be done in the 2nd round. I myself am planning to take the test somewhere in the 3rd week of October. (Cud not take it sooner bcoz of work).
Is it really a big disadvantage applying in Round2 viz a viz Round1.

I am in the same boat, as I am planning to apply for Round 2 as well. I don't know how bad is that. I think Round 2 should be ok, usually round 3 is considered some what risky. Maybe other people can comment.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think most round 2 application deadlines are in early January, and your chances should comparable in round 1 and round 2. But even with the January deadlines, if you take the GMAT in October you will have to work hard to get your applications in on time. If you look at their websites, many schools say that you should devote 1-2 weeks on their applications. I think the estimate is accurate based on feedback from other members. If you are applying to 4-5 schools, then you will need all the time between the exam and the deadline.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:
If you look at their websites, many schools say that you should devote 1-2 weeks on their applications. I think the estimate is accurate based on feedback from other members. If you are applying to 4-5 schools, then you will need all the time between the exam and the deadline.

So what you're saying is that if one has to apply to 4-5 schools then the application time would be 5*(1-2) weeks i.e approximately 8-10 weeks..

Hence for R2 apps in January one should finish off the GMAT by Oct end.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 262 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
imjimmy wrote:
Quote:
If you look at their websites, many schools say that you should devote 1-2 weeks on their applications. I think the estimate is accurate based on feedback from other members. If you are applying to 4-5 schools, then you will need all the time between the exam and the deadline.

So what you're saying is that if one has to apply to 4-5 schools then the application time would be 5*(1-2) weeks i.e approximately 8-10 weeks..

Hence for R2 apps in January one should finish off the GMAT by Oct end.

I think that is accurate. Alternatively you could finish off your apps early(say oct.) and take your GMAT in mid-dec. That way you will have about 3 weeks to brush up your essays and final application package before applying.

Thanks.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37306 posts