Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:00 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 297 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Given Kudos:
Re: Got a 720! Yaaah! [#permalink]
I think the God of standardized tests was keeping his eye on me last night ;-)

Think of the worst thing happening at work that could happen to you, well that happened to me last week. It was so bad, I almost cancelled my test becuase I thought there would be no way that I would do well under the amount of stress that I was under. But my husband, whom I am convinced must be an angel or something, convinced me that my studying these past 3 months was nothing to shy away from. So I decided to push forward, I exercised almost every day last week, brought my notecards to the gym, came home and did about an hour and a half of studying each night. Nothing too extreme, but I made sure to prep myself for the test environment by doing the GMAT math challenges and the GMATTERS sentence correction and critical reasoning. I am the biggest advocate of excersise, I truly believe keeping your body in shape keeps your mind in shape - especially if you are dealing with a good amount of stress.

Yesterday I took my test around 4, and took a power nap around Noon for half an hour. I was used to taking my test at 8 am but I couldn't get a test slot for earlier in the day. The entire test was extremely difficult. I was mentally exhausted from math, probably because I wasn't used to taking the quant portion late in the day, and the verbal was even more exhausting since it was 7pm. But I kept pushing through and ignored my thoughts about exhaustion. This is huge compared to the first time when I got a 630. My first time I began to freak out when time was running out, or when I was tired, and was unable to fully concentrate on the questions.

There was this lady who had an annoying cough the entire test. Make sure you get those ear plugs they offer, they are a God send!

When I saw my score I wanted to scream!! But the administrator was carefully cleaning up other test areas since it was the end of the day so I waited patiently. But the minute I was able to leave the test center I pretty much called all of my family and close friends and then screamed in their ear ;-).

My test prep was a very diligent process. I can't stress enough the importance of taking practice tests and using the GMAT club tests. Make sure to simulate the test environment as much as you can. Coming from me, a girl who cannot just take standardized tests and ace them, simulating this environment is vital. Getting your mind used to the stress of the test, the timing, the variety of difficulty is very important. Make sure to bring a snack with you. I brought a power bar and took a bite out of it, only because I had a huge lunch before the test. Not being hungry during the test is VERY important! I'm a girl, and obsessed with working out and dieting, so usually I'm hungry ;-) The first time I took the test I was extremely hungry, but this time around I was full for the entire test. I also worked out the morning of which I really believe helped my mental stability during the test.

My prep materials consisted of the Princeton Review and Kaplan basic books which I think are not worth it. They teach the basics and nothing else. The PR CAT tests are okay, but I felt the calculations of the final test score were a bit off sometimes.

The Manhattan GMAT books I am obsessed with. I got every book and felt each was very valuable. I did not get the Reading Comprehension book, but every other was useful for me. The SC book was great, and so was the word translations book. However; I only got one probability question and no questions on ratios, combinatrics, or work questions on my test. The MGMAT CATs are hard, but the more you take them the easier they get, which I also think helped my quant score tremendously (I usually scored 43-45 prior to my MGMAT CATs).

I also got the verbal and quant OG workbooks the last month of prep. They served only one purpose, to give me more OG questions. The OG11 book is also vital in order to get yourself used to the type of questions you will be dealing with during the test.

Finally, make use of the GMAT club tests!! They also seem difficult at first, but the more you work through them and understand your mistakes, the better you get at preparing for those difficult questions. I would complete half a test some days after work, just to give my mind a mental exercise. Keeping my mind active and used to these difficult questions was a huge help for the test day.

My last piece of advice is to never give up. Trust the hard work you've completed and yourself. Sometimes you can surprise yourself. I have never gotten a 720 on a practice test, my highest was 710. I was afraid of scoring less than a 630 before I walked into the test center, but knew my practice test scores had the potential of being above 700. I kept faith but didn't get down on myself or get my hopes up. Don't put too much pressure on yourself. This is just a test. In the end, I know the schools I will be applying to will check this number, but will read deeply into my life experience, work experience and my passion - which is nothing this score could ever reveal. So keep at it, study hard, and if you don't get the score you ideally want, don't give up. There is never a good excuse for giving up on yourself, you'd be surprised at what you are capable of accomplishing.

-J

Originally posted by olive on 24 Aug 2008, 05:18.
Last edited by olive on 24 Aug 2008, 13:39, edited 1 time in total.
Given Kudos:
Here are my scores and test materials:

A brief history of my studies and test scores:
Books Completed:
OG11 - Gone through about 95% of the problems in the book
OG Quant and Verbal workbooks
MGMAT SC (read through this three times), CR, Number Properties, Geometry, Inequalities/Vic/Fractions, Word Translations
Basic PR Book
Basic Kaplan Book
GMATTERS software

CATS:
Kaplan - 530 and 550 - last year
PR1 - 570 - around Jan this year
(The past 2 months)
PR1 - 640 34/45
PR2- 570 30/39
PR3 - 650 37/43
GMATPrep1 - 680 42/44
PR4 - 600 31/42
MGMAT 1 - 570
GMATPrep2 - 630
GMATPrep1 - 620
GMATPrep2 - 600
GMATPrep1 - 700 (this software was buggy for me, so I didn't trust this score)
-----------------
(after first GMAT official test)
PR 1 retake - 690
PR 2 retake - 590 (After a REALLY bad day at work - do not take CAT tests after stressful work days!)
Powerprep1 - 710 - Saw repeat questions from OG, don't recommend this software
MGMAT 2 - 610
MGMAT 3 - 620
GMATPrep1 - 670
GMATPrep2 - 710
MGMAT 4 -640
MGMAT 5 - 710
MGMAT 6 - 640
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
Congrats!!! :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Non-Profit
Schools:R1:Cornell, Yale, NYU. R2: Haas, MIT, Ross
GMAT 2: 710  Q48  V39
Send PM
Hey,
Thank you for your excellent debrief. I am pretty much in the same situation as you. Did my first attempt in May and scored a 640. I plan to sit the test in October, however I have to do my applications at the same time. I really know what you mean about the exercising/dieting coz I always need to stress eat when I am studying and I always believe the 700+ questions can be solved with a bar of chocolate. So basically on my first attempt I wrote the 4 hr exam on a non fat macchiato and nothing else. Well in short I am definitely hopeful after reading your post. How long did you take between your first and second attempt. I took 2 mnths off after sitting the exam because I was doing another course which I needed to study for. So now its back to the og books. Well good luck in your applications. Your drive is definitely inspirational!!
Given Kudos:
Thanks everyone!

Ventivish- I took 1 week off from studying and went back at it. I took my first test in early June of this year, so I had about 2.5 months in between. However; because of work I had to take days off from studying sometimes. I studied the day before the test for about 3 hours which I also think helped (the last attempt I didn't study the day before). I really recommend using note cards - they were a quick study fix to refresh my memory on topics when work was just taking too much of my time. Good luck to you, I'm sure you will do great!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Good job!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Non-Profit
Schools:R1:Cornell, Yale, NYU. R2: Haas, MIT, Ross
GMAT 2: 710  Q48  V39
Send PM
jlola21 wrote:
Thanks everyone!

Ventivish- I took 1 week off from studying and went back at it. I took my first test in early June of this year, so I had about 2.5 months in between. However; because of work I had to take days off from studying sometimes. I studied the day before the test for about 3 hours which I also think helped (the last attempt I didn't study the day before). I really recommend using note cards - they were a quick study fix to refresh my memory on topics when work was just taking too much of my time. Good luck to you, I'm sure you will do great!

Hey jlola21- Thank you for your reply, Great Advice!! I hope 2 months is good enough, its all I have. Good luck with your applications!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Send PM
congrats!!!

nice ideas
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder