Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:31 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GPA: 3.24
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GPA: 3.24
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Got a low score of 650 in GmatPrep [#permalink]
Kudos
Aspiring760 wrote:
Hi GetSunny,

Thanks a ton for your wonderful insights. The points you made related to my PS and DS scores are quite correct. I have a bad habit of mixing up the choices in DS and ending up with a wrong answer. The same story applies to PS and add to that a lot silly mistakes. To give you an example, the questions that I get wrong I can immediately figure out at least 80% of them when I analyse them after the actual test.

I will be giving at least 4 more full tests and 6 more semi full length tests (Without AWA and some without IR) from now till I take the real thing. I went through the timing strategies and will apply them while taking the future tests. Hopefully that will take care of struggles with time. I badly need to improve my SC though, I have got only 4 weeks now, Do you think Manhattan SC will be worth it if I start doing it now?

I generally practice 20 SC, 20 RC and 20 CR problems and an additional 20 questions of either CR, SC or RC, every other day. So that's 3 days in a week. I interspred this with 2 days of quant (40-50 questions each day). I am now planning to give 2 tests in the remaining two days of the week. How do you like this plan? Can I please have your thought on this?
Moreover, do you think 710 is a realistic score from where I am right now? Do I need to put in more efforts?

Many Thanks GetSunny, Really appreciate it!
Aspiring760

Hey!

1) Yes, Manhattan GMAT for SC is definitely worth it. It shouldn't take you more than 2-3 days to go through it once. And then you can just make quick notes to go through them every 2-3 days. If you're feeling lazy, you can find the SC notes by Slingfox on this forum. They're really great to revise through the concepts explained in Manhattan. HOWEVER, you would have to go through the full book once to make any sense of those notes.

2) Solving questions - You're doing too many questions in a day. At this stage, your target should be quality and not quantity. Solve less number of questions and spend more time in reviewing them. You don't do good in GMAT by brute force, but by smart work. If you spend 2 minutes on solving a question, you should spend 3-4 minutes on reviewing and trying to find our why you got it right or wrong and how you can reduce the time spent from 2 minutes to 1.5 minutes.

3) Give full mocks - At this stage, any mocks that you give should be full mocks. You need to prepare your mind and body for the 4 hour marathon. Giving just 2 sections in the mock will not help you, as it would not be a true representation of your performance.

Remember - Smart work and not hard work. Your goal is realistic as long as you go about it smartly. Read the following debrief, it will be helpful:

ten-essentials-for-gmat-660-to-740-its-all-about-strategy-168560.html
Intern
Intern
Send PM
getsunny wrote:
Aspiring760 wrote:
Hi GetSunny,

Thanks a ton for your wonderful insights. The points you made related to my PS and DS scores are quite correct. I have a bad habit of mixing up the choices in DS and ending up with a wrong answer. The same story applies to PS and add to that a lot silly mistakes. To give you an example, the questions that I get wrong I can immediately figure out at least 80% of them when I analyse them after the actual test.

I will be giving at least 4 more full tests and 6 more semi full length tests (Without AWA and some without IR) from now till I take the real thing. I went through the timing strategies and will apply them while taking the future tests. Hopefully that will take care of struggles with time. I badly need to improve my SC though, I have got only 4 weeks now, Do you think Manhattan SC will be worth it if I start doing it now?

I generally practice 20 SC, 20 RC and 20 CR problems and an additional 20 questions of either CR, SC or RC, every other day. So that's 3 days in a week. I interspred this with 2 days of quant (40-50 questions each day). I am now planning to give 2 tests in the remaining two days of the week. How do you like this plan? Can I please have your thought on this?
Moreover, do you think 710 is a realistic score from where I am right now? Do I need to put in more efforts?

Aspiring760

Hey!

1) Yes, Manhattan GMAT for SC is definitely worth it. It shouldn't take you more than 2-3 days to go through it once. And then you can just make quick notes to go through them every 2-3 days. If you're feeling lazy, you can find the SC notes by Slingfox on this forum. They're really great to revise through the concepts explained in Manhattan. HOWEVER, you would have to go through the full book once to make any sense of those notes.

2) Solving questions - You're doing too many questions in a day. At this stage, your target should be quality and not quantity. Solve less number of questions and spend more time in reviewing them. You don't do good in GMAT by brute force, but by smart work. If you spend 2 minutes on solving a question, you should spend 3-4 minutes on reviewing and trying to find our why you got it right or wrong and how you can reduce the time spent from 2 minutes to 1.5 minutes.

3) Give full mocks - At this stage, any mocks that you give should be full mocks. You need to prepare your mind and body for the 4 hour marathon. Giving just 2 sections in the mock will not help you, as it would not be a true representation of your performance.

Remember - Smart work and not hard work. Your goal is realistic as long as you go about it smartly. Read the following debrief, it will be helpful:

Hi GetSunny,

Thanks again! I have ordered Manhattan SC and got 6 full tests free with it. I will use these and the rest of the GMAT Prep Tests as mocks for the next 4 weeks.

Yes, I was thinking so myself. I will concentrate more on reviewing questions and formulating better strategies. I am yet to book a date as I was unsure of a plan of action for the remaining days. Thanks for all your help, all these would hopefully hold me in good stead when I take the actual test.

I will re-post on this when I am week away from my test and may need your help analyzing the mock test scores. :P

Many Thanks,
Aspiring760
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Agree - reviewing is more important than taking lots and lots of tests. Each time you get a question wrong - ask yourself what you can do differently next time so you don't make the same mistake.

If you are just looking for practice questions, check out: www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-test/

For the real learning, we recommend upgrading for access to our course and all video explanations.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Aspiring760 wrote:
getsunny wrote:
Aspiring760 wrote:
Hi GetSunny,

Aspiring760

Hey!

Hi GetSunny,

Thanks again! I have ordered Manhattan SC and got 6 full tests free with it. I will use these and the rest of the GMAT Prep Tests as mocks for the next 4 weeks.

Yes, I was thinking so myself. I will concentrate more on reviewing questions and formulating better strategies. I am yet to book a date as I was unsure of a plan of action for the remaining days. Thanks for all your help, all these would hopefully hold me in good stead when I take the actual test.

I will re-post on this when I am week away from my test and may need your help analyzing the mock test scores. :P

Many Thanks,
Aspiring760

Hi again GetSunny,

As you had suggested I studied the Manhattan SC book thoroughly and took the following MGMAT tests that I got free with the book. As you can see I have improved my verbal considerably but my quant in going down. I learnt that quant is pretty tough in MGMAT as those questions takes a lot of time to solve. Considering all that, can you please evaluate my scores at this point and advise me an achievable score? I do not want to set my expectation wrong and suffer because of it. Also, can you figure out any areas I need to concentrate in? I am taking the real thing on 22-Sep-2014 which is three weeks away. I plan to give another 6 CAT tests.

26-Sep-2014
Manhattan Test 1 : 620
IR: 3.8 (4 out of 9 incorrect; missed 3)
Quant : 40 (15 out of 33 incorrect; 9 DS and 6 PS; missed 4)
Verbal : 35 (17 out of 41 incorrect;8 SC, 5 CR and 4 RC)

31-Sep-2014
Manhattan Test 2 : 670
IR 3.8 (7 out of 12 incorrect)
Quant : 44 (18 out of 37 incorrect; 9 DC and 9 PS) - Mostly ran out of time on last 7 question, getting only 2 right
Verbal : 37 (16 out of 41 incorrect; 5 SC, 5 CR and 6 RC)
GMAT Club Bot