Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Got Dinged? It’s Not Over Yet…

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 496 [3] , given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Got Dinged? It’s Not Over Yet… [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2011, 06:44
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
So…you got dinged. One thing’s for sure—we can feel your disappointment from here. But all is not lost! The truth is, despite what it feels like, this is not the end. In fact, the only way it IS the end for you is if you think that it is. Do NOT lose hope and, for the love of God, don’t fall into the following three tempting mental traps.

1) If one school dinged me, the rest will too. This is flat-out false. Many applicants will be accepted to their top choices, and outright dinged at lesser places. Why might this happen? Well for one, every application is different. Your responses may have not been as strong for one school as for another. But also, many lesser schools will see your application and instantly know that you will get into a “better school.” Because they don’t want to be rejected by their acceptees, they will reject you instead. “Why accept the kid if he’s clearly going to Stanford or HBS anyway?” That happens quite a bit, as the schools LOVE to keep their retention ratios high. That ratio is a large part of how they measure themselves against one another.

2) If a few schools dinged me, I blew it and should stop applying. Nothing could be further from the truth. The more schools you apply to, the better your chances will be. Period. If you have been rejected from a few schools in a row, add some safeties to your list! Better to have some options than no options in April. And the great news is, sitting here today, you have nearly a month to craft those final applications. That is plenty of time.

My advice? Get a second set of eyes to review your work and find the holes. It can be a friend, a family member, or a professional. As long as it’s someone NEW who can see your apps from a fresh perspective, you’re on the right track. Then… fill in those holes and put out a BETTER application this time around.

3) Once I’m done submitting, I need a break! Nothing could be less true, guys. If you are gonna sit around ‘til results come back in April, you will only have…4 months to improve your apps for next year. So start that process the SECOND you finish your R2 apps.

Improve your GMAT score. Not only will this show that you are committed to the program, but it will also prove that you are TRYING to improve your candidacy.

Plug into some extra-curricular activities! Again, not only can you get some great experience this way, but you can also prove to the schools that you are doing your best to improve your candidacy.

And finally, VISIT! Reach out to the adcom. Learn everyone’s names. Become “that guy,” if you can. Next year, you need to write something like, “When I didn’t get in last year, I did some soul searching. I did tons of new research, and now I only want to go MORE than ever.”

Hope this helps, gang, and keep the faith! If getting into b-school were easy, everyone would be doin’ it…

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 119

Kudos [?]: 557 [0], given: 114

Re: Got Dinged? It’s Not Over Yet… [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2011, 08:09
I definitely think you bring up some great points! In many ways, the application is similiar to any other part of your Bschool journey. If you face adversity, and give up, your dream is gone. NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER GET DOWN, the journey is a rollercoaster ride, but it is always up to you to never give up.

Best of luck to everyone out there!

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership