Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:17 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools:IIM
 Q49  V24
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Re: Got only 600 in GMAT, but consistently got over 650 in Mocks [#permalink]
mahajanakhil1985 wrote:
<snip>
I took my GMAT on June 2 and got 600 (Q48 V25).
<snip>
4. 2nd GMAT Prep Mock: 620 (Q48, V28) ------> 14 V questions incorrect.

I don't see how the real GMAT threw that big a surprise as you ended up with a similar score as your GMATPrep. As you have correctly pointed out there is no point in discussing how close other algorithms are. GMATPrep is the real deal.

mahajanakhil1985 wrote:
In the last three mocks, I also did the AWA section.

This is a big difference - doing the test with AWA and without AWA. You are talking about 1 more hour of the test which you underwent on the actual test. Something you had the luxury of avoiding in the practice test.

Arun
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
ranjeet75 wrote:
I gave GMAT on 26.05.2012 and I get extremely disappointed after seeing by GMAT test score - 600 (49 Q, 24 V),
<snip>
GPrep 1: 740 (Q-49, V-42) (there is 6 repeated ques in Verbal)
GPrep 2: 710 (Q-47, V-40) on 25.05.2012 (there is nearly 6-7 repeated ques in Verbal)

This is the difference. On the test with repeats you end up having a huge unfair advantage. Just assume you got 1 RC passage with 4 questions repeated. That not only means you saw a question at a far higher difficulty but also saved close to 10 minutes.

ranjeet75 wrote:
i am still not able to come to terms with this result. My queries are as follows : -
1. Can I cross 700 mark in real GMAT and if yes, what should I do?
2. Where would i have gone so wrong that i performed not badly but miserably in Verbal?
3. I am grateful to the MGMAT tests. perhaps if it weren't for them, I may have ended up with an even worse score. Does my 600 Gmat score mean that 700+ score is off limits?
5. I am severely demoralized, battered and still shell-shocked. Please care to give me sound advice whether I should prepare again or should I leave.
6. I have exhausted all material like OG, Manhattan CATs and books, GMAT Prep and its all questions that is floating on various forums. Actually what I will read.

Answers below:

Take a short few weeks break and try to clear out the air. Right now you are too depressed and won't do justice if you analyze it now. The short answer is "Perhaps". In anycase that is the only chance/shot you have. If not a 700 - atleast a significant score improvement.

I think what has happened is you have pretty much "seen" all question types since you practiced from OG, GMATPrep etc but on the real test you were shown questions that were nothing like you had ever seen before. Go back to the basics and ask yourself (like run it through your mind):

a) What happens when you see an SC question? Do you apply the basic grammar rules first? Are you able to identify the basics i.e. subject-verb, pronouns, parallelism, comparisons etc quickly? How good are you at spotting preposition shifts in idioms? If you are able to do this you should be able to get easily above a 30.

b) In CR are you confident of getting assumption/strengthen/weaken questions by applying negation? Do you eliminate answer options with a reason? Do you get why inference/conclusion type questions have to be 100% correct - not 99.99%. This should see you in the 30s (lower if not higher 30s).

c) In RC do you ensure you don't fall into the trap of spending way too much time reading the passage? Do you map the passages well and use the skim-scan technique effectively? Do you prephrase the answer by going back to the passage than rely on your memory? Do you have enough stamina to last 3+ hours? This should make sure you maintain the 30-level.

Net-net I don't see how you should not get a Q49 V36 (700) if you do this right.

You just need to take out some time and analyze by going through your earlier responses. See if you are seeing a pattern there. Right now what will help you isn't reading the MGMAT SC book again but introspecting your own performance and doing a SWOT.

HTH,

Arun
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V42
Send PM
ranjeet75 wrote:
Same case here.

I gave GMAT on 26.05.2012 and I get extremely disappointed after seeing by GMAT test score - 600 (49 Q, 24 V), especially after performing reasonably well in the MGMAT & GMAT PREP practice tests, the scores of which are as follows:-
MGMAT 5 - 680(Q-44, V-38), 21.05.2012
MGMAT 4 - 660(Q-47, V-33), 18.05.2012
MGMAT 3 - 680(Q-47, V-35), 09.05.2012
MGMAT 2 - 380(Q-03, V-34), 08.04.2012[because I want to test only Verbal and just gone out guessing in Quant]
GPrep 2: 710 (Q-47, V-40) on 25.05.2012 (there is nearly 6-7 repeated ques in Verbal)

I practiced the tests (barring one) in actual simulated conditions, taking only the 8 min breaks in b/w. I also gave all the AWAs for each of the MGMAT tests.

As you see that my verbal score is not below 33 on MGMAT and 44 on GMAT Prep. On the test day there is no timing constraints, I managed timing well. Moreover, in Verbal I could not find what went wrong as the questions were clear and I answered very well after understanding the questions (as per my view). As I Was going through the questions and by the time I completed the Verbal sections, I felt that my verbal was turning out to be better than what I was expecting. I was sure that Verbal would help me score 700+ minimum (the score I was aiming for). However, I was shocked to death when I saw that I had performed very badly in verbal.

i am still not able to come to terms with this result. My queries are as follows : -
2. Where would i have gone so wrong that i performed not badly but miserably in Verbal?
3. I am grateful to the MGMAT tests. perhaps if it weren't for them, I may have ended up with an even worse score. Does my 600 Gmat score mean that 700+ score is off limits?
5. I am severely demoralized, battered and still shell-shocked. Please care to give me sound advice whether I should prepare again or should I leave.
6. I have exhausted all material like OG, Manhattan CATs and books, GMAT Prep and its all questions that is floating on various forums. Actually what I will read.

Please help me and advise what to do.

I am grateful to Manhattan GMAT for its help so far.

Thanks

Ranjeet

Bottom line: just because you scored a 600 does not mean that a 700+ score is out of your reach. My first real GMAT that I took I scored a 600 and then ten weeks later I took it again and scored a 700. It is very doable. Just focus on improving the weak point (verbal) as much as absolutely is possible and you'll get there. Put in the effort and you'll get the result you want.
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V24
Send PM
2Victory wrote:
ranjeet75 wrote:
Same case here.

I gave GMAT on 26.05.2012 and I get extremely disappointed after seeing by GMAT test score - 600 (49 Q, 24 V), especially after performing reasonably well in the MGMAT & GMAT PREP practice tests, the scores of which are as follows:-
MGMAT 2 - 380(Q-03, V-34), 08.04.2012[because I want to test only Verbal and just gone out guessing in Quant]

I practiced the tests (barring one) in actual simulated conditions, taking only the 8 min breaks in b/w. I also gave all the AWAs for each of the MGMAT tests.

As you see that my verbal score is not below 33 on MGMAT and 44 on GMAT Prep. On the test day there is no timing constraints, I managed timing well. Moreover, in Verbal I could not find what went wrong as the questions were clear and I answered very well after understanding the questions (as per my view). As I Was going through the questions and by the time I completed the Verbal sections, I felt that my verbal was turning out to be better than what I was expecting. I was sure that Verbal would help me score 700+ minimum (the score I was aiming for). However, I was shocked to death when I saw that I had performed very badly in verbal.

Thanks

Ranjeet

Bottom line: just because you scored a 600 does not mean that a 700+ score is out of your reach. My first real GMAT that I took I scored a 600 and then ten weeks later I took it again and scored a 700. It is very doable. Just focus on improving the weak point (verbal) as much as absolutely is possible and you'll get there. Put in the effort and you'll get the result you want.

[b]Please advise me what should I do for getting minimum 40 - 42 in verbal. I have already exhausted OG, Manhattan Tests and Manhattan 700-800 Ques series. Is there any other test that is close to Actual GMAT Verbal? Please reply and help me.[/b]
Intern
Intern
Send PM
2Victory wrote:
ranjeet75 wrote:
Same case here.

Thanks

Ranjeet

Are you native speaker of the language? Which area were you weak in when you scored 600?
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V24
Send PM
mahajanakhil1985 wrote:
2Victory wrote:
ranjeet75 wrote:
Same case here.

Thanks

Ranjeet

Are you native speaker of the language? Which area were you weak in when you scored 600?

Thanks for the prompt response. I am not a native speaker, however at the time of exam i was at comfort level. I got only 6 - 7 wrong in GMAT Prep Tests and the wrong is not in any one section but it is in all sections (CR, RC & SC). So , I could not understand in which area I should work more. Moreover, when I want to start now, I come across the questions which I can easily solve. I have also solved GMAT Prep Questions (185 Ques for SC and 108 Ques for CR) from GMAT Club and so when I sit for exam all questions are known to me and I could not judge myself and therefore, it is again tough for me.

Please give me some suggestions. Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ranjeet, I have the same case as yours. Someone told me that Veritas has around 15 tests which we can use. If you are from India, you can also take Mock tests of Verbal section only of CAT to improve on RCs. My case is that I am okay with SC but not very okay with RCs and CRs. We just can't afford to get more than 8-9 questions wrong if we want to score at least 700. So, understanding the content very well in verbal section and practicing it are the keys to perform well in verbal.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V42
Send PM
mahajanakhil1985 wrote:
2Victory wrote:
ranjeet75 wrote:
Same case here.

Thanks

Ranjeet

You mean English? Yes. I was weak in both Verbal and Quant when I scored a 600. Seeing as how you have only 1 area to work on makes it seem easier doesn't it?

As far as recommendations to improve verbal, READ THE NEWSPAPER EVERY MORNING. It uses so much of the grammar and style that is tested on the GMAT and if you constantly expose yourself to those concepts by reading the newspaper you will become more familiar with them than you may realize until you start doing some practice problems.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Quote:
You mean English? Yes. I was weak in both Verbal and Quant when I scored a 600. Seeing as how you have only 1 area to work on makes it seem easier doesn't it?

As far as recommendations to improve verbal, READ THE NEWSPAPER EVERY MORNING. It uses so much of the grammar and style that is tested on the GMAT and if you constantly expose yourself to those concepts by reading the newspaper you will become more familiar with them than you may realize until you start doing some practice problems.

Thanks! I think that I did well in SC and am particularly weak with RCs. I am not sure how long will it take if I read newspaper daily before I see an improvement in me in doing RCs. :)
GMAT Club Bot