Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 12:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GOT SCARED/CONFUSED

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GOT SCARED/CONFUSED [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2010, 09:43
Well guys

I will be really honest here.

After not feeling confortable with the bank, where I am interning now, I decided, despite an offer, that I did not want to work with them anymore.... unfortunately, it took me a while to realize this and could not apply for analyst positions for this summer...

My short-noiced B strategy is to do a Masters degree. I will do the GMAT on Tuesday and I just got cold feet, and would appreciate some advice:

1) I always wanted to do an MBA, so in a moment of desperation of what was going to happen with me, financial crisis etc... I decided to pursue a Master Degree at a very good university... but still as I said, I always wanted to go for the MBA, and just have the feeling that if I do the master, there is no point of doing an MBA afterwards (First I have the feeling the future interaction with people wih work experience would bring me a higher added-value than a M. Sc. )

2) I rushed on doing the GMAT as soon as possible becuase of the rolling admissions of the University... I think I could score over 600 easily but not sure over 700 (as you might see I am non-native speaker and it all depends on my verbal performance).

3) Fortunately, I got an interview with a top PE-House on February and if I would get this position I wouldnt do the masters even if I get admitted.

I am still young (22) so even if I dont get the position, I could wait a year to apply to both Analyst positions and with more time and WAY better prepared for my master

4) As I invested a lot of time for the GMAT and my internship ends in January I could even reschedule for the end of February or March, and as my internship will be over this month, with 100% preparation I would feel a lot more confident to break the 700

So here are my questions

1) Can I actually reschedule one day before the exam? To be honest I have more and more the feeling this Master was just some vague thought and I didnt really want to do it anyway. If I take it in February I would definetely improve (and if I recall correctly most of the MBA Programms permit GMAT scores that are even older than 4 years)

2) If I do the GMAT get 640 or so and then get the position at the PE-House and after three years I re-take the GMAT does it actually look so bad as people say?

You can be honest... but constructive :D ... please do not take into account the Fee... those are sunk-costs

Thanks for the help guys and I am sorry if its not well written but as I said I have to continue sudying
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: GOT SCARED/CONFUSED [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2010, 11:00
[quote="rollerduck"][/quote]

Give the GMAT only if you think you are confident. This is atleast a 7 days before your G-day. If your G-day is fast approaching, you don't have to panic either. And no need to give-in. Go give the test, and give it your best shot, at least you should feel satisfactory.

Move on with life as it comes, you get the position with the PE-firm, you want to take it, take it. You wanna leave it, leave it. Life goes on, and GMAT always and always gives you many many chances. A failure at GMAT once is just a learning curve, you'd actually know how to do it better the next time. It is absolutely immaterial how many times you take the test, of course, 4 and beyond might start seeming that there is repeatedly something going terribly wrong.

You are just 22, don't plan. Just go with the flow. Typically, an MBA degree carries much weight only after a real-time 5 or 6 yrs of experience out there, in the corporate world. And GMAT scores are valid until 5 years, exactly on your test date, so you could actually take 2 years off if you wished to. Just make sure, you don't waste time or money with bad decisions. If you have a potential situation that let's you earn, better make some bucks first.

I am AWESOME and it's gonna be LEGENDARY!!!

Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1978

Kudos [?]: 6402 [0], given: 3564

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: GOT SCARED/CONFUSED [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2010, 16:27
Expert's post
rollerduck wrote:

2) If I do the GMAT get 640 or so and then get the position at the PE-House and after three years I re-take the GMAT does it actually look so bad as people say?

For MBA, you can retake the GMAT as many times as you want, only the highest score matters - no down side. For MSc - not sure. They may be more picky about it, but you can easily explain your decision - nobody expects you to have it figured out at 22.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: GOT SCARED/CONFUSED [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2010, 15:02
So guys decided to take the test at the end...

Was ok... but was a bit dissapointed

Result was 680... However... math score (45) way worse than all my practice tests (48-50)... to be honest i kind of felt that i must have done some unnecesary mistakes during the test... as the questions were somehow easier than those of the practice test... (gmat prep, manhattan and two kaplan).

Still given my short time of preparation I feel it is no bad score and that i could even improve it ...

Of course it is sufficient to apply for my masters... so we will see what happens...

I have a weird question... during the verbal exam... i felt that a passage was way too similar if not the same as a gmat pr... i will not say whicho one but is it actually possible or was i just allucinating (if i was really like this i did not rembmer the answers anyway,,,)

Thanks for the help guys...

Regards
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: GOT SCARED/CONFUSED [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2010, 23:50
awesome score with such short prep time congrats
Re: GOT SCARED/CONFUSED   [#permalink] 19 Jan 2010, 23:50