Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 18:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Government officer , chances for an MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Government officer , chances for an MBA [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2014, 04:54
Good evening ,

I am from India and I am currently a government employee . I am a grade "B" officer in the income tax dept.My work revolves around checking the incometax filings and auditing , been working for over 4 years now . My concern is I want to move on to the USA and work in a finance background . I was wondering would my workex be valid or rather "competitive" , cause generally people who apply for MBA from India are engineers from IIT's or CA's etc...

Following are my concerns :
1. Would my exp. be a good or competitive exp ?
2. Would getting a job after an MBA be hard keeping in mind that I have no exp in the private sector ?

Awaiting a reply ,

Win
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 1

Re: Government officer , chances for an MBA [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2014, 07:13
Expert's post
Hi Win,

I'm going to provide some preliminary answers to your questions but I'll caveat this by saying it would be great if you can provide some more information. The more you share, the more I can help!

1) Your work experience is different. That doesn't mean different good, and that doesn't mean different bad. If you had sub-par or below average work experience as a government employee, you may lose to someone from the IT sector with great work experience. On the other hand, if you're a rockstar in the government, then that is a completely different thing. So as a grade B officer, what does that mean? Can you describe your role, responsibilities, impact, and scope? So from a simple stand point, yes, being a government officer CAN be a plus but only if you're still a relatively strong candidate. It won't make up for any gaps or shortcomings. Does that make sense?

2) Generally speaking, moving from the private to public sectors is a bit of hurdle but nothing that's insurmountable. If you're coming out of a strong MBA program, you'll be fine. If you were really strong in the public sector, you'll be fine. It's difficult to answer this question with any degree of certainty, however.

On a side note, as I'm sure you know, the majority of the folks admitted to the top MBAs are from IITs or other equally prestigious universities. I'm not sure where you studied but that's something to keep in mind!

I'm happy to help you out here and I'm looking forward to getting more info!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Government officer , chances for an MBA [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2014, 10:19
Hi Bhavik ,
Thanks for taking out the time .
Basically ,
I did my B.com from a college under Madras university . (It's a respected college in my city but not sure about nation wide). Scored 65% in it .
I worked in a family business for 3 long years , but due to some family problems I thought it was better to move on to a job (parents also supported this decision) . So I wrote my SSC exams and gave an interview . I have been working as a Tax Assistant in CBDT . (Central Board of direct taxes) , I was promoted to Senior tax assistant after 3.2 years of service (We have to give an exam + senior employees consent = promotion ).

My extra curricular include being a part of "make a difference" initiative , helping them set for concerts/seminars and teaching kids various subjects .

So basically this is my profile . Not as impressive like a person from the private sector (I guess it's cause getting promoted in the indian govt. is a huge challenge in itself ). Would there be any college which would fit my profile ? USA or UK , although I would like to prefer USA (Wanna get into the finance game and Wall street is the dream place for any finance person).

Oh, Recently I've been taking finance and economics courses on coursera and have completed few (Not sure if these would have any kind of impact or value , but i guess its better if I mentioned it).

Regards,

Win
Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 1

Re: Government officer , chances for an MBA [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2014, 13:33
Expert's post
Hi Win,

Thanks for providing us with this valuable information about your family business experience. More and more schools are focusing on family business these days. You can position your experience as strongly as possible focusing on the knowledge and experience you gained about different aspects of business: sales, production, marketing, customer service, and basic finance. The skills you acquired in your family business must have helped you in your job as a Tax Assistant. I am positive that if you have a detailed discussion of your skills and experience with a consultant, you will be able to create a strong and engaging story of your candidacy.

I worked with some clients with family business background in the Round-2 and they all are accepted into their target schools (Rice, Rochester, and Georgia Tech).

You may email me at poonam@myessayreview.com to schedule a free half hour consultation.

MyEssayReview - A personalized and dedicated essay-review service
Email:poonam@myessayreview.com

Image Image Image

Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 1

Re: Government officer , chances for an MBA [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2014, 07:05
Expert's post
Hey pal,

Thanks for the info! Family businesses can be a perfectly viable and impactful career path. They just have to hit a few criteria but it seems you shouldn't have issues with that. Can you share a little more about what you DID for the business?

As for your time in the government, I don't think it is a well hidden fact that the Indian government is incredibly bureaucratic. Promotions are rare in most public agencies and India is no exception.

Your extracurricular involvement is on the light side, there's no skirting that, but there might be a few impactful things we can really highlight so that is what it is. From a coursera perspective, they aren't that valuable just yet. However, while they don't go towards building an alternative transcript, they are still good to mention somewhere.

So...that said...we're still missing one BIG part of your profile. *Cough* GMAT score *cough* It's a pretty futile exercise throwing around school names until we know that part of the puzzle!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Re: Government officer , chances for an MBA   [#permalink] 28 Jan 2014, 07:05