Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 10:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Government official: Clearly, censorship exists if we, as

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 182 [2] , given: 304

Premium Member CAT Tests
Government official: Clearly, censorship exists if we, as [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 23:08
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

55% (02:53) correct 45% (02:33) wrong based on 83 sessions
20. Government official: Clearly, censorship exists if we, as citizens, are not allowed to communicate what we are ready to communicate at our own expense or if other citizens are not permitted access to our communications at their own expense. Public unwillingness to provide funds for certain kinds of scientific, scholarly, or artistic activities cannot, therefore, be described as censorship.
The flawed reasoning in the government official’s argument is most parallel to that in which one of the following?

(A) All actions that cause unnecessary harm to others are unjust: so if a just action causes harm to others, that action must be necessary.
(B) Since there is more to good manners than simply using polite forms of address, it is not possible to say on first meeting a person whether or not that person has good manners.
(C) Acrophobia, usually defined as a morbid fear of heights, can also mean a morbid fear of sharp objects. Since both fears have the same origin.
(D) There is no doubt that a deed is heroic if the doer risks his or her own life to benefit another person. Thus an action is not heroic if only thing it endangers is the reputation of the doer.
(E) Perception of beauty in an object is determined by past and present influences on the mind of the beholder. Thus on object can be called beautiful, since not everyone will see beauty in it.

Can someone pour in with explanation as mentioned below:

A-> B NOT B -> NOT A

here Public willing (not allowed) => Censorship (Premise)
Public unwilling => Not Censorship.

How above cause effect can be structured inA/B form as explained above

Plz pour in thoughts

source:LSAT
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Rgds,
TGC!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT Date: 12-03-2013
WE: General Management (Retail)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 119

Re: Government official: Clearly, censorship exists if we, as [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2013, 02:48
First, sorry about my English, I am still learning.

I am not sure if my reasoning is 100% correct, but I got the right answer, so, it might help.

Clearly, censorship exists if we, as citizens, are not allowed to communicate what we are ready to communicate at our own expense or if other citizens are not permitted access to our communications at their own expense.

For me, the most parallel argument not only should have the "A-> B NOT B -> NOT A", but also should have "something that depends on the person".
The (D) is the only option with this kind of stuff.

(D) There is no doubt that a deed is heroic if the doer risks his or her own life to benefit another person. Thus an action is not heroic if only thing it endangers is the reputation of the doer.

Regards.

-------------
Did I help you? How about +KUDOS for me?
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 117

Kudos [?]: 1162 [2] , given: 118

Premium Member
Re: Government official: Clearly, censorship exists if we, as [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2013, 22:17
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi TGC

I’m happy to help.

GENERAL THEORIES

This is a parallel reasoning question, but it's more like a flaw of reasoning question, so it’s important to find the fallacy first. If you can’t realize the flaw of reasoning in the stimulus, it’s difficult to pick a correct choice.

This question uses a fallacy, namely, Denying the Antecedent.
The form is:
If A, then B
Conclusion: If Not A, then Not B.

Note: The logic is WRONG.

For example:
If I have 800 GMAT score, I will be accepted at Harvard Business School.
Conclusion: If I don’t have 800 GMAT score, I will NOT be accepted at HBS.
It’s wrong. Even though 800 is exceptional score. If one has 800 GMAT, HBS will accept him. However, 800 GMAT is not the ONLY condition to decide an applicant is accepted or not.

APPLY TO THE QUESTION:

If [as citizens, are not allowed to communicate –OR-- other citizens are not permitted access to our communications], then censorship exists.
Conclusion: if public is unwillingness to provide funds for XYZ, then censorship does NOT exist.

KEY word is “unwillingness” which means people are ALLOWED to provide funds, but not willing to do so. I will paraphrase the conclusion like:
Paraphrased version of conclusion: If public is ALLOWED to provide funds for XYZ, then censorship does NOT exist.

This is an alternate version of “Denying the Antecedent”.
Form used in this question is:
If A is negative (not allowed to...), then B positive (censorship exists).
Conclusion: If A is positive (is allowed to....), then B negative (censorship does not exist).
This is a wrong logic.

Only D has a parallel reasoning.

Let examine D:

The form of D is:
If doer risks his or her own life, then a deed is heroic.
Thus, if doer does not risk his or her own life (the doer only risks his or her reputation), then an action is not a heroic.

Clearly, the conclusion in D has a similar fallacy as we discussed above. Hence, D is the answer.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Re: Government official: Clearly, censorship exists if we, as   [#permalink] 11 Sep 2013, 22:17