Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 07:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Government restrictions have severely limited the amount of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Government restrictions have severely limited the amount of [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 07:56
+1 for A

Please make sure your OA is correct!
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 595 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Government restrictions have severely limited the amount of [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 00:43
Expert's post
I did the question in 1.22 and selected A as the answer. But when C starts blinking, then I started questioning my reasoning skills. After going through the posts, in search of the OE, finally I realised I am not the lonely soul.
No kidding, but seriously this one is a terrible question.
Has to be A.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 304

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Government restrictions have severely limited the amount of [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 22:30
Government restrictions have severely limited the amount of stem cell research American
companies can conduct. Because of these restrictions, many American scientists who
specialize in the field of stem cell research have signed long-term contracts to work for
foreign companies
. Recently, Congress has proposed lifting all restrictions on stem cell
research. Which of the following conclusions can most properly be inferred from the
information above?
A) At least some foreign companies that conduct stem cell research work under fewer
restrictions than some American companies do. (Already stated in premise and RED in Color above , had there been equal restrictions in foreign companies the scientists wouldn't have moved in the first place.)
b) Because American scientists are under long-term contracts to foreign companies, there will
be a significant influx of foreign professionals into the United States.
c) In all parts of the world, stem cell research is dependent on the financial backing of local
government.
d) In the near future, American companies will no longer be at the forefront of stem cell
research.
e) If restrictions on stem cell research are lifted, many of the American scientists will break
their contracts to return to American companies.

E- Conclusion / As stated in RED that because of restrictions only,american scientists turned to foreign cos.

Rgds,
TGC!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 27

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Government restrictions have severely limited the amount of [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 16:06
Its between A and E only ,
e sounded bit extreme to me, - as researchers are getting some thing more attractive in foreign countries they will still not come back so chosen A.

But still not clear after reading the comments what is the OA.

But I am happy to be not walking alone here :)

Regards,
Abhinav

GMAT 1 - 580 (Q47 V23) a-tight-slap-on-face-149457.html

GMAT 2 - 670 (Q48 V34) 670-one-month-off-from-office-and-2-months-hard-work-163761.html#p1297561

“If you don't change your life; your life will change you.”

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Government restrictions have severely limited the amount of [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 21:33
Marcab wrote:
I did the question in 1.22 and selected A as the answer. But when C starts blinking, then I started questioning my reasoning skills. After going through the posts, in search of the OE, finally I realised I am not the lonely soul.
No kidding, but seriously this one is a terrible question.
Has to be A.

Same here Marcab, the blinking of C got me worried too!

it has to be A

How about some KUDOS...ey??!!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 12

Re: Government restrictions have severely limited the amount of [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2013, 03:52
A
E can't because if they are good incentive and all they might not come back so these option is not "Must be true"

Posted from my mobile device Image
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 82

Kudos [?]: 369 [0], given: 323

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Government restrictions have severely limited the amount of [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2013, 07:50
Under no circumstances can the answer to this question be anything but A :)

ISB Class of 2016 | Chat Session with ISB ADCOM | How to get started with Essays | GMAT Retake Debrief
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview | General interview tips | How to tackle "Do you have anything to ask" question | Important links by the ISB ADCOM for applications and interview preparation

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Stanford '15
GPA: 3.61
WE: Consulting (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 97

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Government restrictions have severely limited the amount of [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2013, 19:10
GetThisDone wrote:
Government restrictions have severely limited the amount of stem cell research American
companies can conduct. Because of these restrictions, many American scientists who
specialize in the field of stem cell research have signed long-term contracts to work for
foreign companies. Recently, Congress has proposed lifting all restrictions on stem cell
research. Which of the following conclusions can most properly be inferred from the
information above?
A) At least some foreign companies that conduct stem cell research work under fewer
restrictions than some American companies do.
b) Because American scientists are under long-term contracts to foreign companies, there will
c) In all parts of the world, stem cell research is dependent on the financial backing of local
government.
d) In the near future, American companies will no longer be at the forefront of stem cell
research.
e) If restrictions on stem cell research are lifted, many of the American scientists will break

Main CR Qs link - Main link - cr-qs-600-700-level-131508.html

Hi,

Still no clear explanation for the OA (C). Can experts help?

My thinking - scientists changed their jobs/left US companies because they stem cell research was severely limited due to restrictions - basically they could not do the work they wanted to do in American companies.

A - Now, as long as they are able to the work they want to do, in non-American companies they will switch jobs. These non-American companies might or might not have more restrictions than American companies.
Also we do not know what type of restrictions we are talking about here. May be American companies denied completely the research on topic X, but the research on X, can be done in a non-American company. May be this non-American company has some restriction on funding..but still atleast research could be done there.
So the scientist will still have a motive to switch jobs.

Can someone explain C ?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

Re: Government restrictions have severely limited the amount of [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2013, 20:27
C is clearly wrong. C is jumping to the conclusion that since companies is the US are dependent on financial backing from their government than this is true for all parts of the world. It doesn't explicitly say this is true of US companies, but it is arguably common knowledge is the US. Also, anytime an answer choice says all it's probably going to be wrong. Do you see anything in the passage that leads to the conclusion that all parts of the world are dependent on financial backing from their local government? The passage doesn't even say anything about funding in other countries.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 28

Re: Government restrictions have severely limited the amount of [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 06:53
Well for the starters the answer cannot be A for the following reason:

At least some foreign companies that conduct stem cell research work under fewer

This implies that some American companies have similar restrictions as some foreign companies. It cannot be A for sure. Just one word (some) provides a nuance to the argument. If some did not exist, A would have been the best answer.

As far as C is concerned, I do not like it at all as it seems to be out of scope. But that is the OA.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: Q V
GMAT 3: Q V
GMAT 4: Q V
WE: Business Development (Internet and New Media)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 18

Re: Government restrictions have severely limited the amount of [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 23:08
The answer is clearly A. If scientists go to foreign companies then it means that restrictions there are not so severe. This is what A states.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: Q V
GMAT 3: Q V
GMAT 4: Q V
WE: Business Development (Internet and New Media)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 18

Re: Government restrictions have severely limited the amount of [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 23:12
targetgmatchotu wrote:
foreign companies
. Recently, Congress has proposed lifting all restrictions on stem cell
information above?
restrictions than some American companies do. (Already stated in premise and RED in Color above , had there been equal restrictions in foreign companies the scientists wouldn't have moved in the first place.)
government.
research.

E- Conclusion / As stated in RED that because of restrictions only,american scientists turned to foreign cos.

This is the inference question and hence it MUST pass the FACT TEST. The only answer that passes this test is A. E fails this test since there is nothing in the argument that mentions breaking the contracts.
Hope it helps.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1079

Kudos [?]: 4841 [0], given: 163

Re: Government restrictions have severely limited the amount of [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 19:53
Expert's post
GetThisDone wrote:
foreign companies. Recently, Congress has proposed lifting all restrictions on stem cell
information above?
government.
research.

Main CR Qs link - Main link - cr-qs-600-700-level-131508.html

The only thing wrong with this question is the given OA. Otherwise the question is very clear cut.

You need to find the conclusion. Look at the first two sentences of the argument:

foreign companies.

American companies have severe restrictions. Because of these restrictions, American scientists are signing contracts with foreign companies. We can conclude that some foreign companies do not have such severe limitations otherwise it doesn't make sense that american scientists are signing contracts with foreign companies because of these restrictions. Note that right now, congress has only proposed lifting all restrictions. The restrictions haven't been lifted yet and we don't know whether they will be lifted. It's just a proposal. Hence we cannot say that there are no restrictions in America. Still there are severe restrictions as mentioned in the
first sentence.

Answer is definitely (A).

(C) - Financial backing is not even mentioned in the argument. 'Severe restrictions' could be any kind of restrictions - laws not allowing certain experiments etc. Also, where does the argument tell us that it is dependent on financial backing of local govt in ALL parts of the world?

(D) - We cannot conclude what will happen in the future. Since congress has proposed lifting all restrictions, if these restrictions do get lifted, American companies could still be at the forefront. Perhaps enough number of scientists have not left for foreign companies yet and the situation can be salvaged. We don't know. Also, American companies may still be at the forefront while some foreign companies come to the forefront too. The point is, we certainly cannot conclude this from the limited info.

(E) - We cannot conclude that American scientists will break their contracts. Perhaps the restrictions are being lifted so that more scientists do not sign contracts with foreign companies.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Schools: Schulich '16

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Government restrictions have severely limited the amount of [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 21:05
+1 A.

C would be my first choice to eliminate...as the passage doesnt suggest the given inf.

IRRELEVANT/

This is an INFERENCE question and the answer choice should comw solely from the argument.No outside inf.
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 491

Kudos [?]: 2016 [0], given: 30

Re: Government restrictions have severely limited the amount of [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2013, 12:45
Expert's post
I edited the question at the head of this post, correcting the OA. Clearly (A) is the correct OA, so I made that change.
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Re: Government restrictions have severely limited the amount of   [#permalink] 24 Jul 2013, 12:45