Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 08:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Governments have only one response to public criticism of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 41

Governments have only one response to public criticism of [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2011, 08:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

68% (01:42) correct 32% (01:12) wrong based on 25 sessions
Governments have only one response to public criticism of socially necessary services: regulation of the activity of providing those services. But governments inevitably make the activity more expensive by regulating it, and that is particularly troublesome in these times of strained financial resources. However, since public criticism of child-care services has undermined all confidence in such services, and since such services are socially necessary, the government is certain to respond.
Which one of the following statements can be inferred from the passage?

(A) The quality of child care will improve.
(B) The cost of providing child-care services will increase.
(C) The government will use funding to foster advances in child care.
(D) If public criticism of policy is strongly voiced, the government is certain to respond.
(E) If child-care services are not regulated, the cost of providing child care will not increase.

Official Answer
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

Please provide detailed explanation for the correct answer.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

If you like my post, consider giving me Kudos !!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Child-care Services (Aristotle CR Question) [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2011, 11:54
ardk wrote:
Governments have only one response to public criticism of socially necessary services: regulation of the activity of providing those services. But governments inevitably make the activity more expensive by regulating it, and that is particularly troublesome in these times of strained financial resources. However, since public criticism of child-care services has undermined all confidence in such services, and since such services are socially necessary, the government is certain to respond.

(A) The quality of child care will improve.......No where mentioned in the stimulus that the quality of the service will improve
(B) The cost of providing child-care services will increase.......after the government regulation cost of the services increases and in the last few sentences it is mentioned that childcare services are important and government will definitely act therefore this option can be correctly inferred
(C) The government will use funding to foster advances in child care......Not at all related to the stimulus
(D) If public criticism of policy is strongly voiced, the government is certain to respond....not related to the stimulus
(E) If child-care services are not regulated, the cost of providing child care will not increase.....not within the scope of the stimulus

Official Answer
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

Please provide detailed explanation for the correct answer.

Hence B

Check this link

http://www.rupeemail.com/rupeemail/invite.do?in=NzYxOTkxJSMlRzF0NGJKQnllT1kzVmRmbTVBb2tLZ1Q4RA==

http://www.rupeemail.com/rupeemail/pages/rupeemail/images/joinImage.gif

Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 887 [0], given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: Child-care Services (Aristotle CR Question) [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2011, 12:41
ardk wrote:

(A) The quality of child care will improve.
(B) The cost of providing child-care services will increase.
(C) The government will use funding to foster advances in child care.
(D) If public criticism of policy is strongly voiced, the government is certain to respond.
(E) If child-care services are not regulated, the cost of providing child care will not increase.

Consider this almost analogous scenario:
At dawn, rooster crows. If rooster crows, farmer wakes up.

Same happens here;
If we can prove that there is public criticism of socially necessary services, then government will say let's regulate the service, and the regulation will cost money.

From the passage:
since public criticism of child-care services has undermined all confidence in such services -> Public criticism occurred.
and since such services are socially necessary -> child-care services are socially necessary services. -> Means, a public
criticism on socially necessary services occurred. It must trigger Event B, government response with regulation; Event B will trigger event C, regulation will cause money.

Ans: "B"

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 41

Re: Child-care Services (Aristotle CR Question) [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2011, 08:12
Thanks Vyassaptarashi & Fluke.

P.S. - Just realized I posted the question in the wrong place. Sorry about that.

If you like my post, consider giving me Kudos !!

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Child-care Services (Aristotle CR Question) [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2011, 22:09
Why is E not the answer , can someone explain ,In E it is mentioned that if no regulation happens then cost willnot increase , which can be inferred from the statement --->Government inevitably make the activity more expensive by regulating it ..... the government is certain to respond. how do u assume that government response can only be by regulation ???

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: Child-care Services (Aristotle CR Question) [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2011, 02:19
Crack HSW...

we know that if the services are regulated, the cost is certain to rise. but we are not told of what will happen if the services are not regulated... the costs may rise for some other reason

if the statement said "may not rise" it would be a good contender.. but by saying will not rise, E falls apart
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 887 [0], given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: Child-care Services (Aristotle CR Question) [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2011, 05:42
crackHSW wrote:
Why is E not the answer , can someone explain ,In E it is mentioned that if no regulation happens then cost willnot increase , which can be inferred from the statement --->Government inevitably make the activity more expensive by regulating it ..... the government is certain to respond. how do u assume that government response can only be by regulation ???

No assumption:
Governments have only one response to public criticism of socially necessary services: regulation of the activity. Thus, regulation will happen, for the public criticism happened.

"E" can't be inferred properly.
If event A occurs, B occurs.
Does not mean:
If event A does not occur, B will not occur.

If I go to the bar, I'll drink Scotch whiskey.
Does not mean;
If I do not go to the bar, I won't drink Scotch whiskey. I may drink one at home, who knows?

B is correct because of the ripple:
A occurs->B occurs->C occurs
We can infer only the following:
If A occurs, B occurs
If A occurs, C occurs
If B occurs, C occurs.

Rest is written in my earlier post.

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Child-care Services (Aristotle CR Question) [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2011, 07:34
Thanks viks4gmat and fluke for the nice explainations , I have my problem resolved

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, IIM
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 11

Re: Child-care Services (Aristotle CR Question) [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2011, 07:49
+1 B

* An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
** Every single second counts.
*** One KUDO earned is One step closer to GMAT. Help me in getting closer to GMAT.
**** i-invite-you-in-my-gmat-journey-121396.html.

Test Description_______Date____Total___Quant_____ Verbal
GMAT PREP1_____________________610
GMAX online test 1____29.07.2011__540_____43________19
MGMAT CAT 1_________03.09.2011__580____42________28
MGMAT CAT 2_________02.10.2011__690____48________36
GMAX online test 2_____16.10.2011__640____48________32
MGMAT CAT 3_________23.11.2011__670____47________34
Veritas free CAT______ 31.10.2011___630___ 46________33
MGMAT CAT 4_________06.11.2011__690____48________36
MGMAT CAT 5_________13.11.2011__660____46________34
MGMAT CAT 6_________19.11.2011__680____51________33
GMAT PREP2__________23.11.2011__680
GMAT Exam___________24.11.2011__690____50________34

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 18

Re: Child-care Services (Aristotle CR Question) [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2011, 00:25
Thanks fluke!

I first went for choice E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 6

Re: Governments have only one response to public criticism of [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2012, 03:49
Straight B.

The correct answers to inference questions avoid extremes and have no frills: in short, they stick to the script and avoid drawing conclusions for which sufficient info is not provided.

If government is certain to respond to public outcry by regulating day care, then costs will inevitably rise.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 126

Kudos [?]: 571 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Governments have only one response to public criticism of [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2012, 06:44
Expert's post
That was an easy take but my question is why "however" has been used in the stimulus. However introduces a contrast but there is no need for it. I chose B under 40 secs but was wondering about the usage of "however", and wasted some time. I will highly appreciate if anyone explains its usage.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Re: Governments have only one response to public criticism of   [#permalink] 22 Nov 2012, 06:44