Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 10:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Governor: The bridge that spans the Brookline and Kings boro

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 44

Governor: The bridge that spans the Brookline and Kings boro [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2014, 03:22
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (01:50) correct 35% (01:07) wrong based on 98 sessions
Governor: The bridge that spans the Brookline and Kings boroughs is in desperate need of repair with estimates in the range of $30 million. Over one million vehicles cross the bridge each day. Therefore, if the city charges a mere $1 dollar toll for crossing the bridge, we will be able to raise enough funds to make repairs to the bridge within a month.

Which of the following is an assumption upon which the governor's argument depends?

(A) The bridge, if not repaired, will likely collapse, causing the deaths of many people.
(B) The toll will not cause a significant hardship on the commuters that use the bridge.
(C) The toll will not induce some commuters to use mass transit when traveling between the two boroughs.
(D) After the repairs to the bridge are complete, it is estimated that the bridge will be able to handle 20% more traffic.
(E)Most of the residents in Brookline and Kings use the bridge to commute to work each day.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Why B is not the correct answer?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by carcass on 07 Jul 2014, 03:55, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the title of the question
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 312

Kudos [?]: 2622 [1] , given: 697

Governor: The bridge that spans the Brookline and Kings boro [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2014, 04:08
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Although is a question from veritas prep I think is not an excellent question. Between C and E both could be a possible answer

Conclusion says ;: Therefore, if the city charges a mere $1 dollar toll for crossing the bridge, we will be able to raise enough funds to make repairs to the bridge within a month.

Now we have the key words the city charges a mere $1 dollar toll for crossing the bridge so the assumption is : IF the commuters pass through the bridge we raise money because the have to pay.

But either in C and E we do have : in C some (i.e up to 99% of the commuters) and in E we do have most (i.e up to 99% ) though we do not know excatly the proportion of this group.

Alike E and C could be insert in the same scenario. It also true that C is stronger than E because E talks about commuters to work and C in a more general way with commuters pass through the bridge. But I think the argument is bias in somehow, not so clear at a closer look.

Back to your question : B is wrong because hardship is not an attinent argument for out conclusion.

Hope this helps

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 11-08-2014
GPA: 3.1

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 323

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Governor: The bridge that spans the Brookline and Kings boro [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2014, 23:30
carcass wrote:
Although is a question from veritas prep I think is not an excellent question. Between C and E both could be a possible answer

Conclusion says ;: Therefore, if the city charges a mere $1 dollar toll for crossing the bridge, we will be able to raise enough funds to make repairs to the bridge within a month.

Now we have the key words the city charges a mere $1 dollar toll for crossing the bridge so the assumption is : IF the commuters pass through the bridge we raise money because the have to pay.

But either in C and E we do have : in C some (i.e up to 99% of the commuters) and in E we do have most (i.e up to 99% ) though we do not know excatly the proportion of this group.

Alike E and C could be insert in the same scenario. It also true that C is stronger than E because E talks about commuters to work and C in a more general way with commuters pass through the bridge. But I think the argument is bias in somehow, not so clear at a closer look.

Back to your question : B is wrong because hardship is not an attinent argument for out conclusion.

Hope this helps

Hello,

i am having problems in eliminating ans.option B.

If we negate it,

the commuters will face significant hardhips in using the bridge..

bcz of tht they wont use the bridge and revenue wont b generated as per the conclusion..

please help me out with it.. :|

THE WORD IMPOSSIBLE ITSELF SAYS : I-M-POSSIBLE...SO,DREAM THE IMPOSSIBLE-AND DO THE INCREDIBLE

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 44

Governor: The bridge that spans the Brookline and Kings boro [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2014, 00:03
vards wrote:

Hello,

If we negate it,

bcz of tht they wont use the bridge and revenue wont b generated as per the conclusion..

Actually Governor is assuming that over one million vehicles are using the bridge so if he collects $1 from each of them then he would have enough funds to repair bridge.

If you negate C, it would be :

The toll will not induce some commuters to use mass transit when traveling between the two boroughs.

So if enough number of vehicles will not use the bridge then he would not be able to collect enough fund for bridge repair.

Governor is not considering the economical condition of commuters.
Raising fund might be the hardship on the commuters but he is not considering it.

Below is the explanation from Veritas. It says B strengthens the argument.

Correct Answer: C
The argument claims that by charging a $1 toll, the city will raise the required $30 million in a month to cover the cost of repairs. Using the Assumption Negation Technique (ANT), we will find that by negating answer choice C (the toll WILL induce some commuters to use mass transit) the argument is no longer valid. C, if negated, would mean that commuters who would otherwise pay the toll will use mass transit and, therefore, not contribute to the toll revenues, causing the city to fall short of the governor's prediction. Answer A is irrelevant. While tragic, the collapse of the bridge need not be assumed for the argument to be valid. While answer choice B strengthens the governor's argument, it is not an assumption that the argument is dependent upon. In answer choice D, the subsequent capacity of the bridge is irrelevant as to whether the toll will be able to raise enough money. While choice E helps the governor's case, it is not necessarily a required assumption of the argument. We do not care why the residents use the bridge, but whether they will use it at all after the toll is implemented.

Last edited by chetan86 on 08 Jul 2014, 04:06, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Followers: 312

Kudos [?]: 2622 [0], given: 697

Governor: The bridge that spans the Brookline and Kings boro [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2014, 03:52
Expert's post
vards wrote:
carcass wrote:

Hope this helps

Hello,

If we negate it,

Hi,

but have or not hardship is not related to our conclusion. Assumption question MUST BE TRUE in order to have our conclusion.

Hardship VS money to rise ......is not related. at all and in anyway.

Hope this helps

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: CBS '17
GPA: 4
WE: General Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 28

Re: Governor: The bridge that spans the Brookline and Kings boro [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2014, 06:57
carcass wrote:

Hope this helps

Can we reasonably define 90% or 99% of commuters as some commuters? I don't think so. Between C and E, though E has limited applicability only to commuters to work, it makes a stronger statement than does C.
E seems more appropriate.
Re: Governor: The bridge that spans the Brookline and Kings boro   [#permalink] 08 Jul 2014, 06:57