Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 11:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GPA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GPA [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2007, 19:45
How important is the GPA portion weighted versus the rest of the admission package? I had a 3.65 undergraduate overall and this year if I do how I expect to do, I'll hopefully land a 3.7 or 3.75. Is that enough to get into the top 10 schools for an accounting phd assuming the rest of my package is outstanding like high gmat and excellent recs and a great sop?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2007, 20:48
short answer: yes

nothing is guaranteed - fit is important and i have been reminded repeatedly that NOTHING guarantees admission at the phd level. but that is obviously a strong GPA and is middle 80% (i think - someone correct me please if i am mistaken) for most top-tier schools.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 304 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2007, 03:34
emarinich wrote:
short answer: yes

nothing is guaranteed - fit is important and i have been reminded repeatedly that NOTHING guarantees admission at the phd level. but that is obviously a strong GPA and is middle 80% (i think - someone correct me please if i am mistaken) for most top-tier schools.

I agree that fit to the program is the most important thing. there is no specific weights for part of the application. the grades and GMAT/GRE are there just to show your a record of potential.
the most important part of the application is the SOP. recommendations are also important. these are the places where you can show both your strengths and suggest a fit to the department.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 2

[#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2007, 20:56
There was some kind of "model of PhD admissions" discussion about a year ago on this very forum; the conclusion (which I agree with) is that some elements of an applicant's profile are definitely more binary (ie. you're above the threshold or you're not), while other elements are "graded" on a more continuous scale. I would think GPA, and to some extent GMAT score, are more of the threshold type, while the SOP/fit factor and past coursework would have a finer appreciation scale (e.g. great/very strong/strong/average/mediocre/bad) in the minds of decision makers.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2007, 23:52
well if thats the case, does my gpa make the cutoff for top 10 schools?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 2

[#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2007, 07:31
ReDx wrote:
well if thats the case, does my gpa make the cutoff for top 10 schools?

Who knows? I would think it does, but at some point it's both highly unpredictable and depends on where that undergrad degree was.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2007, 16:58
If the rest of your app is really outstanding, I don't think a 3.75 vs 3.9 GPA makes much of a difference.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2007, 18:46
Its going to come down to my SOP and Gmat if thats true. Still a LONG way to go but I'm excited that theres still a chance for a top school. I'll be around and I'll let you guys know how it goes in about 1 to 1.5 years from now. lol.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2007, 13:35
Whats a "top ten" school?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2007, 22:21
josh478 wrote:

Depends on who you ask, and they may differ for each field of PhD study. I'm guessing that if you took a survey on an "overall" top ten, you'd probably get around 20 schools that get significantly more than 0 votes.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2007, 08:32
bauble wrote:
josh478 wrote:

Depends on who you ask, and they may differ for each field of PhD study. I'm guessing that if you took a survey on an "overall" top ten, you'd probably get around 20 schools that get significantly more than 0 votes.

Exactly ;)

Depends also on the specific area and field. Its more who you work with than the school itself in many cases.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2007, 22:56
I rank them according to the number of publications in the top 3 journals of whatever your phd is in. The data is publically available on UT dallas, just google it.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2007, 10:44
ReDx wrote:
I rank them according to the number of publications in the top 3 journals of whatever your phd is in. The data is publically available on UT dallas, just google it.

Yeah, I have seen it. Problem is, if I remember it correctly, it is not weighted for school size or by department. You could have a lot of lame faculty, but two or three highly productive and recognized faculty in specific areas who are not reflected in the stats. My feeling is it really depends on the productivity of your advisor/committee and your personal productivity when it is time to find a job... not the school per se. "Top" schools are usually so because of their endowment and overall size--but that is my opinion. Also, if your faculty has associate editors or editors of A journals, that is a great program in my book. Also, if faculty are active reviewers for As, all the better. Especially as faculty change year to year--one new prominent faculty member can change the whole dynamic and value of a program--all the more if that new faculty is in your research area.

The most important question is will you be able to publish while in the program in A journals? One A pub is huge for a newly minted Phd--and worth going to a sub-"top-twenty" school.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2007, 08:51
ReDx wrote:

If "top-ranked" means the best Ph.D. programs, this is a decent quick assessement. But, as others have correctly pointed out, there are many factors, e.g., those rankings don't citation-weight the pubs either, as far as I know. Another good way is to ask faculty. They know their colleagues and the research that they do, so it is just a matter of the "rankings" being filtered through their subjective lens (you might want to discount their own institution).
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2007, 23:30
I understand the factors. Ranking schools is kind of like stereotypes: there is some truth to it but there are always exceptions. I just feel you cant go wrong with a school thats at least perceived to be better than not. Of course, I'd rather be a non top 20 with more productive faculty but all else equal, I'd choose the better school. How about that? :-D
  [#permalink] 22 Dec 2007, 23:30