Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 18:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GPA/GMAT/Work Experience Advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GPA/GMAT/Work Experience Advice [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2005, 20:24
Hi,

I am an Industrial Engineer from Venezuela. I would like to obtain some advice on applying to MBA Schools in the US. I plan to apply September 2006. Please read my profile bellow:

* Undergraduate Major: Industrial and Systems Engineering
* Undergraduate Minor: Economics
* Undergraduate Major GPA: 3.02 (Overall 2.57) - Not really good
* School: The Ohio State University (Top 20 School in Engineering)
* GMAT: Will take July 2005 - Goal 700

Work Experience (Almost 2 years - 1 Company) Location: USA
Industrial Engineer currently working with an Engineering Firm that focuses on Project Management, Operational Improvements and Supply Management Projects. I find my job to be very unique. The size of my company (less than 20 people) has allowed me to take very important leadership roles on projects for Fortune500 and small clients. With only 6 months of experience, my company asked me to lead a project with a major food manufacturer that represented 20% of the total revenue of the company. My day-to-day job requires dealing with our clients CEO's, VP's, GM's, Supervisors and Shop floor Workers. Our focus is to make money for our clients by Implementing Operational Improvements techniques that translate into savings by improving productivity, reducing cost, improving quality, etc. I do not have an office, as my job is 100% at the client's site; this has allowed me to work with more than 15 companies in two years. The projects that I have worked on average 40% increase profitability for our clients, and that translate to increase sales and profits for my company. My role varies from leader to facilitator. I take different roles in different projetcs.

I think that I have the work experience needed to apply to a great MBA program. I also have strong internship experience. My question is the rest of my resume.

Community Involvement:
* President of the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers - The Ohio State University Chapter (2002)
* Co-Founder of the International Institute for Democracy (2002) - The Ohio State University --- We took this organization from a student based, to a non-profit organization registered in the state of Ohio
* Co-Director of International Relations - The Ohio State University Undergraduate Student Government - 2002
* Member of the Phi Delta Theta fraternity - The Ohio State University Chapter
* Volunteer at the RCA Tennis Tournament in Indianapolis, IN
* Volunteer at the Church (Soccer Coach for kids 10 - 14)
* Founder of the Ana Maria Foundation. This foundation works with schools in my country to raise money for underprivileged kids in order to provide them with the necessary materials to attend classes.

Awards:
* 2002 Hispanic Leadership Award - The Ohio State University
* 1st Place - The Ohio State University Industrial Engineering 2003 Senior Project Competition
* High School Honors (Who cares??)

I would appreciate your advice on GMAT scores. I plan to apply to The Ohio State University, University of Michigan (Ann Arbor), University of Texas (Austin), Cornell University, Duke University, Univ. of Chicago and Harvard University (Why not!).

Thank you,

Omar
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 342 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: GPA/GMAT/Work Experience Advice [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2005, 17:15
Expert's post
oacm wrote:
Hi,

I am an Industrial Engineer from Venezuela. I would like to obtain some advice on applying to MBA Schools in the US. I plan to apply September 2006. Please read my profile bellow:

* Undergraduate Major: Industrial and Systems Engineering
* Undergraduate Minor: Economics
* Undergraduate Major GPA: 3.02 (Overall 2.57) - Not really good
* School: The Ohio State University (Top 20 School in Engineering)
* GMAT: Will take July 2005 - Goal 700

Work Experience (Almost 2 years - 1 Company) Location: USA
Industrial Engineer currently working with an Engineering Firm that focuses on Project Management, Operational Improvements and Supply Management Projects. I find my job to be very unique. The size of my company (less than 20 people) has allowed me to take very important leadership roles on projects for Fortune500 and small clients. With only 6 months of experience, my company asked me to lead a project with a major food manufacturer that represented 20% of the total revenue of the company. My day-to-day job requires dealing with our clients CEO's, VP's, GM's, Supervisors and Shop floor Workers. Our focus is to make money for our clients by Implementing Operational Improvements techniques that translate into savings by improving productivity, reducing cost, improving quality, etc. I do not have an office, as my job is 100% at the client's site; this has allowed me to work with more than 15 companies in two years. The projects that I have worked on average 40% increase profitability for our clients, and that translate to increase sales and profits for my company. My role varies from leader to facilitator. I take different roles in different projetcs.

I think that I have the work experience needed to apply to a great MBA program. I also have strong internship experience. My question is the rest of my resume.

Community Involvement:
* President of the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers - The Ohio State University Chapter (2002)
* Co-Founder of the International Institute for Democracy (2002) - The Ohio State University --- We took this organization from a student based, to a non-profit organization registered in the state of Ohio
* Co-Director of International Relations - The Ohio State University Undergraduate Student Government - 2002
* Member of the Phi Delta Theta fraternity - The Ohio State University Chapter
* Volunteer at the RCA Tennis Tournament in Indianapolis, IN
* Volunteer at the Church (Soccer Coach for kids 10 - 14)
* Founder of the Ana Maria Foundation. This foundation works with schools in my country to raise money for underprivileged kids in order to provide them with the necessary materials to attend classes.

Awards:
* 2002 Hispanic Leadership Award - The Ohio State University
* 1st Place - The Ohio State University Industrial Engineering 2003 Senior Project Competition
* High School Honors (Who cares??)

I would appreciate your advice on GMAT scores. I plan to apply to The Ohio State University, University of Michigan (Ann Arbor), University of Texas (Austin), Cornell University, Duke University, Univ. of Chicago and Harvard University (Why not!).

Thank you,

Omar

If you achieve your goal of a 700 GMAT you would have good chance at all the schools on your list. To further strengthen that chance, take business -related classes, like stats, accounting, or finance and earn A's in them. Obviously your low GPA is going to cause concern even with a strong GMAT. Mitigate that concern by showing you can earn A's in business classes.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2005, 17:27
Linda,

Thank you for your advice. What kind of classes should I consider taking prior to applying to an MBA?

Thanks again!

Omar
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2005, 17:37
Expert's post
oacm wrote:
Linda,

Thank you for your advice. What kind of classes should I consider taking prior to applying to an MBA?

Thanks again!

Omar

Accounting, finance, econ, statistics for business.

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2005, 14:17
Hi Linda

Thank you for your helpful suggestions. I noticed in this post that you recommend some courses to take. What are your thoughts for individuals who travel full time in consulting careers. Are there online classes that you would recommend? Any specific programs or schools? I am shooting for top 15 level schools and hope to invest the time into a good set of classes that will not only impress adcoms but also benefit as a future student. Thank you for your time!
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2005, 10:52
Expert's post
MBAguy2005 wrote:
Hi Linda

Thank you for your helpful suggestions. I noticed in this post that you recommend some courses to take. What are your thoughts for individuals who travel full time in consulting careers. Are there online classes that you would recommend? Any specific programs or schools? I am shooting for top 15 level schools and hope to invest the time into a good set of classes that will not only impress adcoms but also benefit as a future student. Thank you for your time!

If you travel a lot and a traditional course would not work for you, then yes I recommend online courses. UCLA Extension has online courses as does NYU and I think the University of Maryland. I would recommend a university extension class over a for-profit school's online class because I believe that the adcoms will respect the univeristy's brand more than they would a for-profilt (like University of Phoenix) class.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2005, 09:08
Linda,

Thanks for your advice. I have noticed you have given advice to some users depending on their country of origin and field of work (i.e. Indian national with an IT Background). I am from Venezuela (Undergraduate from The Ohio State Univeristy), as I previously stated on my first note. Do you have any advice for me when it comes to comparing myself to people from my country/region (Latin America) and what gmat/gpa/work experience business schools usually use to benchmark students from my region?

Omar
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2005, 11:18
Expert's post
oacm wrote:
Linda,

Thanks for your advice. I have noticed you have given advice to some users depending on their country of origin and field of work (i.e. Indian national with an IT Background). I am from Venezuela (Undergraduate from The Ohio State Univeristy), as I previously stated on my first note. Do you have any advice for me when it comes to comparing myself to people from my country/region (Latin America) and what gmat/gpa/work experience business schools usually use to benchmark students from my region?

Omar

Latin Americans are typically underrepresented in the business school population and are often accepted with lower than average (especially in the verbal section) GMAT scores. HOwever, in your case, you have a low GPA. I think at least an average GMAT for the schools you are applying to will be important. They will want to know that your lower overall GPA was not caused by a lack of ability. Furthermore I still encourage you to take some classes and earn A's. Unless there were extenuating circumstances, for the top schools a 2.57 is a very hard GPA for them to ignore, unless accompanied by recent A's and a competitive GMAT.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2005, 16:12
Thanks Linda. My situation is unique, my job requires 90% travel and most of the classes you mentioned to me I have already taken. My GPA for my upper courses is 3.1 (about l, the 2.57 comes from a very low 1st year (2.1). My Stats classes are above 3.0 as well as my Econ clases. I even took a Business Graduate Level Class in managment and earned a B+. Thanks for your advice again!

Omar