Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 13:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GPA Too Low?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 07-01-2014
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GPA Too Low? [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2014, 07:11
Hello, I am new to the forum but am very glad I found it because it appears extremely helpful.

I started undergrad as a Pre-Med (Biology) major and did this for three semesters while also competing in athletics. My grades were poor (2.75) due to the challenging science courses and my complete lack of motivation. Since then, I switched to Finance and have a maintained a 3.75 or higher but my cumulative is still stuck around 3.2. I am hoping by the end of this semester and next (I graduate next Fall) I can pull my cumulative to at least a 3.45 assuming I get a 4.0 for these last two semesters.

My question: Will this be taken into consideration by the programs I apply to. A cumulative 3.45 is not glamorous but my grades are clearly on an uphill swing. What do you guys think I should? pay to take more classes this summer to get A's and boost my GPA? Explain the situation to the programs? I am aware I will also need to knock the GMAT out of the park with a 700.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Re: GPA Too Low? [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2014, 11:13
Above a 3.0 GPA is fine. You were in a science major and have upward progression. You will be fine. Aim for a 650 of better GMAT and you wont have an issue.

Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 07-01-2014
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: GPA Too Low? [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2014, 12:32
I want to apply to some of the best programs and after researching some of their current class profiles, anywhere from 3.4 to 3.8 seems average. Are you sure a low 3 will be acceptable?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Re: GPA Too Low? [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2014, 12:59
It depends on your GMAT and the rest of your application. You'll have mid-3.0's so you will be in the lower part of their range. You have a good story on why your GMAT is lower and have strong, upward momentum (3.75 and above in multiple semesters). Maybe MIT might be out of range (don't know without all information), but you will be in the running for all the other top, well placing programs.

Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com

Re: GPA Too Low?   [#permalink] 28 Feb 2014, 12:59