Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 07:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

gpa weight?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

gpa weight? [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2006, 09:43
how much does gpa weigh compared to the rest of the application (i.e. GMAT, work exp, essays, LOR)? I ask because my GPA is quite low and wanted to find out if this is a huge factor in apps.

My target schools have ave gpa of 3.0... but I'm at 2.5

Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 237

Kudos [?]: 1479 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2006, 10:15
For the top universitities - you will need a strong GMAT score to balance that GPA. Anything under 700 is likely not acceptable. I'd also suggest enrolling in an adult course in accounting or statistics at a local university and acing it.

For other schools that are not top, that may be well in there 80% range - you'd have to check. In that case, it's less of an issue, but should still be balanced with a good GMAT score that is above the average for the school.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2006, 11:45
Jay - I am at a 2.55 myself so I can relate to your situation.

Extra courses are a MUST with a GPA in this range. I would recommend going to a local community college and taking undergraduate classes as a non matriculated student. DO NOT TAKE CONTINUING EDUCATION COURSES.

Take the full class and get undergrad credit for it even though you have your degree.

Recommended classes are: Calculus, Finance, and Accounting or Business Courses.

So far I have completed an Intro to Business Course with an A and I am 80% of the way through my Accounting Class with an A average so far that I expect to maintain.

I keep in touch with the Admission Directors at the 3 schools I have applied to, making them aware of my status after exams and quizzes. To overcome a low GPA I really don't see any other way of going about it. You will also need a GMAT of 80th percentile or better depending on the schools you want. Like rhyme said - if you are going for the elite cluster you will need a 700 or better.

Good luck.

What undergrad did you attend? Major?

I was Econ at Boston University - they are known for crushing their students GPA's so I am hoping that is also a factor, but I let the schools know I am to blame for the low marks and I take full responsibility - making it clear I have matured and am in a different place now.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2006, 12:01
thanks for the feedback.

My target school is USC Marshall. I'm above the GMAT mean, but not by much (20 points). In my optional essay, I plan on addressing my low GPA.

I don't know if it helps, but in my last year of undergrad, I had a 3.0. Do you think this might help the admissions committee with regards to my GPA? I've also taken an Econ class at a local community college and received an A for that. I also did a continuing ed. class (Real Estate) and received an A, but that won't matter much for b-school.

Oasis - I went to UC Davis and graduated with an Electrical Engineering degree, although my current job has nothing to do with EE. I currently do financial analysis for a Fortune 500.

So from the comments I've seen thus far, it would not bar me from getting into school. I just need to boost my other aspects of the app.

also, any other advice would be great...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2006, 12:08
The three o won't be a huge help but can't hurt.

My situation is similar i have a 3.0 overall but its boosted by a 3.7 my last two years.

I still wish I had taken a class before applying....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2006, 12:24
The 3.0 will help - I had one in my final semester as well. Honestly - I think it is pretty common for people with 2.5's to apply to b-school, have higher GPAs in their final semester, and take extra classes. That is why the optional essay is there - sure you can cover other aspects as well but I would put money that GPA is the #1 optional essay that is written.

Dont stress about it, you have some classes, take some additional coursework and throw that in your optional as well - letting them know you will update them as the course concludes (and when you have status updates).

Not only will it show you are committed, but it will also give you a reason to keep in touch and have them remember who you are.

One final note - you can always take Online classes at a university too - most schools accept those as well. Just make sure it is at a fully accredited university.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2006, 14:45
I have been struggling with the same dilemma... I majored in Computer Science in a top canadian university and had a 73% average. I practically failed out of second year and pulled it back together to graduate.

The program was very tough and I was not very mature. I wrote 2 different essays about this topic and ended up not submitting either of them.

Why? I actually asked an admission councillor and she said that it should be already self-explanatory. I think I really wanted to hear this answer also... because my essays always sounded like I was just giving excuses. Certainly have a a good GMAT will help your cause.

I am undecided for my next 2 apps... but unless I can find a good way to write this essay, i may just leave it up to the adcom to interpret it.

cheers
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2006, 16:07
That's strange. "Since GPA is the only factor that cannot be changed, all other portions of the app. should have something compelling to show..." This is what the Admissions Director had said in a nutshell. She went on to say that I should definitely speak to my GPA and what I have done to show improvement, such as taking additional courses at local college and receiving A's, getting a good score on the GMAT, and using the essay to speak to my GPA improvement.

FYI, i'll be in enrolling in 2 more classes at a local college in Jan. (accounting and business management). Although I will already have submitted my apps by mid Dec and probably receive an admission/rejection by end of Jan, I think it'll help with my weak GPA...

thinking back, I wish I had focused more on school in my first 3 years of college. I didn't think that this would bite me back in the butt (didnt expect to go to b-school)
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2006, 16:09
fyi, I also plan on re-taking the GMAT in 3 weeks in hopes that it'll be a greater diff. between my score an the school's mean.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2006, 17:11
I've a 3.5... Hope it counts! :)
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2006, 18:27
Guys...between GPA and GMAT, which one do you think carrys more weight?

I think GMAT is surely more important because:

1. It represents your quant and verbal skills at present (and close to present) compared to GPA that was 5-10 years ago.

2. Its the only thing that adcoms can use to compare you with others.

I believe its yogurt!

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2006, 18:48
gmatmba wrote:

1. It represents your quant and verbal skills at present (and close to present) compared to GPA that was 5-10 years ago.

Agreed with you based on #1. Its the most accurate representation of your skills today.

#2 I don't think is necessarily true - there are some schools that are "harder" than others, but a 3.5 vs a 2.5 is pretty cut and dry.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2006, 19:15
rhyme wrote:
gmatmba wrote:

Agreed with you based on #1. Its the most accurate representation of your skills today.

#2 I don't think is necessarily true - there are some schools that are "harder" than others, but a 3.5 vs a 2.5 is pretty cut and dry.

well...all other things being equal (i know its not a reality)

would you take a 700 and 3.9
or a 760 and 3.1

I believe its yogurt!

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2006, 19:16
gmatmba wrote:
rhyme wrote:
gmatmba wrote:

or a 760 and 3.1

I'll take the 760 and 3.1
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2006, 19:25
rhyme wrote:
gmatmba wrote:
rhyme wrote:
gmatmba wrote:

or a 760 and 3.1

that was my point....gmat owns gpa :)

I believe its yogurt!

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2006, 19:45
Yeah... but what if your school is comfortable with their GMAT average but not their GPA avg. I could see a place like Tuck saying... "we don't care about padding our GMAT anymore... we are already up there, but 3.3GPA avg... that could definately be better."
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2006, 19:46
gmatmba wrote:
rhyme wrote:
gmatmba wrote:
rhyme wrote:
gmatmba wrote:

or a 760 and 3.1

that was my point....gmat owns gpa :)

And I said I agreed, just that I agreed primarily on point #1, and less so on point #2.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2006, 19:48
Mark4124 wrote:
Yeah... but what if your school is comfortable with their GMAT average but not their GPA avg. I could see a place like Tuck saying... "we don't care about padding our GMAT anymore... we are already up there, but 3.3GPA avg... that could definately be better."

Meh, I still say GMAT reigns supreme. It's consistently the quoted number when people look at schools. It's always the first thing people ask. It's something thats been increasing year over year at the top schools. It's more pertinent. Exclusivity is driven not so much by overall GPA but much more by selectivity % and GMAT score. It's much easier to appear exclusive when you can say your average gmat score is over the 90%th percentile. It's far more difficult to come up with a figure like that for GPAs. 3.5? 3.4? 3.2? 3.6? 3.8? Etc.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2006, 20:05
I think if you are a school that has a GMAT very comparible with others in your league but your GPA is a little down from those in your league you're gonna wanna bring that up. I don't think the top schools are dying for good GMAT scores anyhow... They have them in spades already. Looking at profiles on here I have been struck by high GMATs and mediocre GPAs... If business schools see this too they may say "we got GMAT down, lets look at GPA." This is of course only at the very top... A school like Kelly for example would kill for anyone with a top GMAT.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2006, 20:19
In general, I agree with Rhyme since the GMAT tends to be a better predictor of performance in business school. The validity coefficient for the GMAT (mean of 0.459) easily beats the validity coeff for Undergrad GPA (mean of 0.283).

However, Mark makes an interesting point with regard to the relative value of a higher GPA.
  [#permalink] 14 Nov 2006, 20:19