Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 17:58

Going on right now!

Live Q&A Session with HKU Admissions Team | Join the chat room to participate.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Grace makes an initial deposit of x dollars into a savings a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT Date: 06-22-2012
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 217

Grace makes an initial deposit of x dollars into a savings a [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2011, 14:42
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

48% (02:37) correct 52% (01:39) wrong based on 87 sessions
Grace makes an initial deposit of x dollars into a savings account with a z percent interest rate, compounded annually. On the same day, Georgia makes an initial deposit of y dollars into a savings account with a z percent annual interest rate, compounded quarterly. Assuming that neither Grace nor Georgia makes any other deposits or withdrawals and that x, y, and z are positive numbers no greater than 50, whose savings account will contain more money at the end of exactly one year?

(1) z = 4
(2) 100y = zx
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Best Regards,
E.

MGMAT 1 --> 530
MGMAT 2--> 640
MGMAT 3 ---> 610 :-(

Last edited by Bunuel on 18 Apr 2014, 03:33, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 60 [3] , given: 2

Re: Grace and its deposit [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2011, 17:14
This post received
KUDOS
B.

B is sufficient due to the constraints in the problem. Since no number can be greater than 50 and Z is the same for both.

100y =zx

Basically says that X is larger than Y. The differences between annual and quarterly compounding of an identical interest rate over only one year will be fairly negligible. Assuming Z = 50 which is the most it can equal we are left with 2y = x. So we know that Grace is going to have more money than Georgia at the end of year 1.

Statement 2 is sufficient.

Hope that helps.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1153

Kudos [?]: 5363 [1] , given: 165

Re: Grace and its deposit [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2011, 20:21
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
enigma123 wrote:
Grace makes an initial deposit of x dollars into a savings account with a z percent interest rate, compounded annually. On the same day, Georgia makes an initial deposit of y dollars into a savings account with a z percent annual interest rate, compounded quarterly. Assuming that neither Grace nor Georgia makes any other deposits or withdrawals and that x, y, and z are positive numbers no greater than 50, whose savings account will contain more money at the end of exactly one year?
(1) z = 4
(2) 100y = zx

Your help is desperately needed folks please.

Responding to a pm:

Actually, u0422811's solution is perfect. That is exactly what went through my mind when I read this question.
Quarterly compounding yields more than annual compounding but the difference is minuscule in % terms.
e.g. if you invest $10 at 10% annual compounding, you get $11 at the end of the year.
but if you invest $10 at 10% quarterly compounding, you get $11.038 at the end of the year.
You get a small fraction of interest extra.

So x is invested at annual compounding and y at quarterly compounding. If x=y, the amount received from y will be a little more.

Statement 1 tells us z = 4. We need to compare x with y so this is not sufficient.

Statement 2 tells us 100y = zx
x/y = 100/z
Since maximum value of z is 50, x is at least twice of y.
If z% = 50%, amount obtained from x is 1.5x (= 3y) and that obtained from y is a little more than 1.5y.
Definitely an investment of $x results in a higher amount at the end of the year.

Answer (B)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

CEO
CEO
Followers: 206

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Grace and its deposit [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2014, 01:54
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 58

CAT Tests
Re: Grace and its deposit [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2014, 09:44
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
enigma123 wrote:
(1) z = 4
(2) 100y = zx

Your help is desperately needed folks please.

Responding to a pm:

Actually, u0422811's solution is perfect. That is exactly what went through my mind when I read this question.
Quarterly compounding yields more than annual compounding but the difference is minuscule in % terms.
e.g. if you invest $10 at 10% annual compounding, you get $11 at the end of the year.
but if you invest $10 at 10% quarterly compounding, you get $11.038 at the end of the year.
You get a small fraction of interest extra.

So x is invested at annual compounding and y at quarterly compounding. If x=y, the amount received from y will be a little more.

Statement 1 tells us z = 4. We need to compare x with y so this is not sufficient.

Statement 2 tells us 100y = zx
x/y = 100/z
Since maximum value of z is 50, x is at least twice of y.
If z% = 50%, amount obtained from x is 1.5x (= 3y) and that obtained from y is a little more than 1.5y.
Definitely an investment of $x results in a higher amount at the end of the year.

Answer (B)

Hi Karishma,

taking B into consideration, we can have x=2, y=1, z=50.

so X after one year will be 3.

Y after one year and 4 interest bumps will be over 3....

Can you explain this?
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1153

Kudos [?]: 5363 [0], given: 165

Re: Grace and its deposit [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2014, 21:54
Expert's post
ronr34 wrote:
Hi Karishma,

taking B into consideration, we can have x=2, y=1, z=50.

so X after one year will be 3.

Y after one year and 4 interest bumps will be over 3....

Can you explain this?

How did you get that "Y after one year and 4 interest bumps will be over 3"?

If initial investment is $1 with an annual rate of 50% compounded quarterly, at the end of the year, the amount is 1(1 + 50/400)^4 = 1.608 i.e. somewhat above 1.5. How is it 3? Note that 50% is annual rate. If it is compounded quarterly, the quarterly rate becomes 50/4%

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Grace and its deposit   [#permalink] 08 Jun 2014, 21:54