Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Nov 2014, 20:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Grading curve

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GPA: 1
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Grading curve [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 22:15
How many questions can you exactly (or, approximately) miss to score a V 45 ?

From what I read, top scorers routinely miss 20% of the questions - is this a fact or a myth?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 37

Re: Grading curve [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2012, 23:16
This really isn't worth considering, IMO. You could miss 20 questions in a row, then get every question correct after that, and still end up with a decent score. Or you could get the first 35 questions correct, then miss the last 6, and end up with something in the high 30's.

CAT is a tricky animal. You've got to try to put 100% of your focus on each question in turn without considering the bigger picture. There is no "strategy" except to answer as many questions as you can correctly.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 14

Re: Grading curve [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2012, 00:22
heintzst wrote:
How many questions can you exactly (or, approximately) miss to score a V 45 ?

From what I read, top scorers routinely miss 20% of the questions - is this a fact or a myth?

Well, don't. I repeat DON'T think about leaving ANY question. It is better to attempt remaining questions incorrectly if time runs out, rather than leaving those unattempted. Missing responses demands a higher penalty than incorrect response.

If you are really concerned about the scoring of negative penalty, think of it like this. The penalty on a wrong response is directly proportional to the percentage of questions remaining in the exam. And the negative weight is more on unattempted than incorrect.

Shouvik
http://www.Edvento.com
admin@edvento.com

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 230

Kudos [?]: 366 [0], given: 5

Re: Grading curve [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2012, 21:57
Expert's post
Unfortunately, there actually isn't an answer to your question. Because the GMAT is adaptive, the difficulty level of the questions is different for each test taker. The questions do NOT carry equal weight. You get more credit for getting hard questions right (compared to getting easy questions right) and you get a steeper penalty for missing easy questions (compared to getting hard questions wrong). Additionally, up to 1/4 of your questions will be experimental and not part of your score, so you could miss all of those without impacting your score at all! [If you want a deep dive into how GMAT scoring really works, here is an interesting, though lenghty, article: http://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... our-score/]

If you are trying to maximize your Verbal score, make sure you start from the bottom up. Get everything correct that is below your ability level, try to get 75% correct at your ability level and shoot for 50% on the questions above your ability level. I've not heard about the 20% correct statistic, but I do know that the GMAT tries to have the average test taker miss about 40% of questions.

-KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Re: Grading curve   [#permalink] 12 Jun 2012, 21:57