Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 21:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Grading system for the Verbal:

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

Grading system for the Verbal: [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2009, 10:31
Hi all,

I just took the GMATprep practice test again (Q:48, V:42, 740). I find the grading system rather strange. On the quant, I missed 10 questions (starting with the 4th question), yet I still scored a 48, even though my performance was clearly poor. By contrast, I missed only 4 verbal questions (starting with the 9th question, and the rest were spaced out pretty far), but my verbal score plummeted all the way to a 42.

I understand scores are not calculated by how many right Vs. how many wrong, and that the first 10 questions give a lot of weight to the overall score; this makes me wonder even more, since my first ten on the verbal were WAY better than those on the math.

Perhaps I was just incredibly lucky that all the math questions I missed happened to be part of the 25% of non-scored questions on a test? Heck, I'd imagine I would have a greater chance of getting hit by a meteor than that happening...

Could there be some bug in the GMATprep software that produced such strange results? I hope its just a bug... or else I would have zero margin of error on the verbal section...
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Grading system for the Verbal: [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2009, 11:22
GMATaddict wrote:
Hi all,

I just took the GMATprep practice test again (Q:48, V:42, 740). I find the grading system rather strange. On the quant, I missed 10 questions (starting with the 4th question), yet I still scored a 48, even though my performance was clearly poor. By contrast, I missed only 4 verbal questions (starting with the 9th question, and the rest were spaced out pretty far), but my verbal score plummeted all the way to a 42.

I understand scores are not calculated by how many right Vs. how many wrong, and that the first 10 questions give a lot of weight to the overall score; this makes me wonder even more, since my first ten on the verbal were WAY better than those on the math.

Perhaps I was just incredibly lucky that all the math questions I missed happened to be part of the 25% of non-scored questions on a test? Heck, I'd imagine I would have a greater chance of getting hit by a meteor than that happening...

Could there be some bug in the GMATprep software that produced such strange results? I hope its just a bug... or else I would have zero margin of error on the verbal section...

although there are lots of rumors/speculations about the first 10 questions vs rest, etc, in this case its pretty simple percentile difference. The verbal and quant raw scores are cannot be compared to each other - remember, this is a standardized test. A 42 in verbal is in the 95%tile, a 48 in quant is only in the 85%tile.
http://www.gmatcat.com/Percentiles.html

-----------------------
btw as a point of reference, I took the GMATPrep tests 3 times and I missed from 6 to 10 in quant (score ranged from 48 to 50) and from 5 to 8 in verbal (score ranged from 41-44)
Re: Grading system for the Verbal:   [#permalink] 23 Jun 2009, 11:22