Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 23:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Graduatimg Senior: Advice to achieve a MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Graduatimg Senior: Advice to achieve a MBA [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2010, 21:21
I am just about to graduate college, and have decided that i want to get a MBA down the road. I plan on working 3-4 years. I want to know if you have any advice for me to improve my profile over the next 3 years. I want to eventually get into a top 10 MBA school. Here is what I have now....

GMAT: 760

Education
BS Of Industrial Engineering with a minor in Economics from Texas A&M Univ
Cum GPA 2.7, Major GPA 3.4: Last 60 hours: 3.5
(not that they would care but the low grades was from a medical incident and heavy involvement in extracurricular activities and working part time to pay for school)

Extracurricular:
4 years of military school training: Texas A&M Corps of Cadets.
-various leadership roles including managing small group of underclassmen for a year (around 12), and organizing an event invoving 100+ people
Selected for the student council at my school
Involved in a mentoring program for incoming and current freshmen.

Job Experience:
When I graduate this May I will be working for Bank of America in their technology division. The job is a leadership developmeny/ rotational program in their technology division. I also interned there over a summer and was given their highest rating exceeding expectations.

What can I do over the next few years to increase my resume and more specifically how to overcome the low GPA and prove that I can handle the academics?

Thanks!!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Graduatimg Senior: Advice to achieve a MBA [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 09:27
the GMAT already partially offsets the GPA. there's not too much else you can do except take community college courses. given that you already majored in industrial engineering (and minored in economics, so i'm guessing you at least took the intro level business courses) then there's not too much value in that.

one tip would be to get involved in an extracurricular. it doesn't have to be a save the world type thing - it can be anything from a professional organization to a local volunteer group at a church or school. whatever it is, make sure you enjoy it and are willing to stick to it.

another that goes without saying is to do a good job at work. you seem to already have the right idea, since you were commended during your internship. this is important because when it comes time to get letters of recommendation, people will write based on how good of a team member you were.

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Graduatimg Senior: Advice to achieve a MBA   [#permalink] 11 Feb 2010, 09:27