Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 14:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

grammer problem

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 23

grammer problem [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2012, 11:54
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Whats the difference between simple gerund phrases and complex gerund phrases?how simple and complex gerund phrases related problem appear in gmat sentence correction problem?.....plz explain me in details with example .
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 539

Kudos [?]: 2272 [2] , given: 31

Re: grammar problem [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2012, 17:35
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
supri1234 wrote:
Whats the difference between simple gerund phrases and complex gerund phrases?how simple and complex gerund phrases related problem appear in gmat sentence correction problem?.....plz explain me in details with example .

I'm happy to help with this. :-)

This is a distinction that MGMAT draws in Vol 8, Ch. 11 of its series. I am not sure how useful a distinction this is.

First of all, a gerund is the "ing" form of a verb used as a noun. It can take any of the noun-roles in a sentence.

Singing is fun. (gerund as subject)
She hates waiting for the bus. (gerund phrase as direct object)
I will win the argument by turning the professor against her. (gerund phrase as an object of a prepositional phrase)

The first is just a single gerund by itself. The second two are gerund phrases --- MGMAT would call them "simple" gerund phrases.

According to their distinction, a "complex" gerund phrase would be one in which the gerund became even more "noun-like" because it is either preceded by an article or modified by an adjective.

The howling of a wolf in the distance is chilling at twilight.
Intemperate eating causes indigestion.

Both of those sentence contain gerund phrases that MGMAT would classify as "complex." Notice: complex is not necessarily long --- in the final sentence, the entire complex gerund phrase is compose of merely two words.

GMAT SC are simply littered with gerund phrases, all over the place, both simple & complex phrases. Again, as long as you recognize a gerund for what it is, it's not particularly clear to me that the distinction between simple & complex gerund phrases is going to help you much on GMAT SC.

Does all this make sense?

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Re: grammar problem   [#permalink] 05 Nov 2012, 17:35