Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 04:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Graphic approach to problems with inequalities

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA, INSEAD
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 15

Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2010, 20:26
Very interesting approach. I definitely need to practice this a bit before trying to use it on the exam.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 12

Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2010, 10:02
sanjay_gmat wrote:
walker wrote:

There is another easier method to solve such questions. Let's take the same example to illustrate the method.

given : x > 2y

so we can write x = 2y + k where k is a positive number - equation 1

Fact 1 : x - y < 2

we can rewrite this as x -y + m =2 where m is a positive number - equation 2

solving equation 1 and equation 2

y = 2 -m - k AND x = 2 - m + y = (4 -2m -k)

=> 3x + 2y = 12 - 6m -3k + 4 - 2m - 2k = 16 -8m - 5k

so, 3x + 2y = 16 -8m -5k which is less than 18

now considering fact 2

Fact 2 : y - x < 2

we can rewrite this as y -x +m = 2 - equation 3

solving equation 1 and equation 3

y = m -2 -k and x = 2m -k -4

=> 3x + 2y = 8m -5k -16 which may or may not be less than 18 (since m and k may be of any positive value)

Hence A.

Is this method legitimate for inequalities? I've never heard of it and frankly I don't quite get it!

Help
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 16

Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 13:27
Very useful, THANK YOU !
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Schools: Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 15

Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 15:35
Can someone solve this without the graphical approach? Bunuel?

Consider kudos, they are good for health

Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3636

Kudos [?]: 29410 [5] , given: 2934

Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 15:50
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
mainhoon wrote:

My solution from: tough-inequality-challange-89225.html?hilit=walker%20graphic#p732298

If (x/y)>2, is 3x+2y<18?

(1) x-y is less than 2
(2) y-x is less than 2

\frac{x}{y}>2 tells us that x and y are either both positive or both negative, which means that all points (x,y) satisfying given inequality are either in I or III quadrant. When they are both negative (in III quadrant) inequality 3x+2y<18 is always true, so we should check only for I quadrant, or when both x and y are positive.

In I quadrant, as x and y are both positive, we can rewrite \frac{x}{y}>2 as x>2y>0 (remember x>0 and y>0).

So basically question becomes: If x>0 and y>0 and x>2y>0, is 3x+2y<18?

(1) x-y<2.

Subtract inequalities x>2y and x-y<2 (we can do this as signs are in opposite direction) --> x-(x-y)>2y-2 --> y<2.

Now add inequalities x-y<2 and y<2 (we can do this as signs are in the same direction) --> x-y+y<2+2 --> x<4.

We got y<2 and x<4. If we take maximum values x=4 and y=2 and substitute in 3x+2y<18, we'll get 12+4=16<18.

Sufficient.

(2) y-x<2 and x>2y:
x=3 and y=1 --> 3x+2y=11<18 true.
x=11 and y=5 --> 3x+2y=43<18 false.

Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2010, 22:24
Apologies for asking such a basic question - I'm afraid i haven't yet figured out how to draw these graphs accurately in the actual exam- I've heard you aren't permitted to take a ruler into the center.

How do you draw the figure for eg. x-y < 2 accurately enough to see that the equation passes through point P in your diag. ?
Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 369

Kudos [?]: 1869 [0], given: 359

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2010, 03:24
Expert's post
akshey2021 wrote:
Apologies for asking such a basic question - I'm afraid i haven't yet figured out how to draw these graphs accurately in the actual exam- I've heard you aren't permitted to take a ruler into the center.

How do you draw the figure for eg. x-y < 2 accurately enough to see that the equation passes through point P in your diag. ?

Yes, you can't use a ruler. In many cases even if you don't draw accurate, you will see key points and areas. Then (like in 4. here) you can calculate for a couple of questionable points their precise positions.

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Intern
Intern
WE 1: IT Consultant (6Yr)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 5

Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2010, 15:44
Hi,

Maybe some help for these two questions (graphical method)

i) Is x.|y|>y^2 ?

a)x>y
b)y>0

ii) If x and y are non-zero integers and |x| + |y| = 32 what is xy?

a)-4x -12y = 0
b)|x| - |y| = 16

Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB, IIM-A
WE 1: 4 yrs in finance

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2011, 10:16
I m not able to understand here one thing at while testing condition's one or two how came at conclusion that it is not sufficient or sufficient ???????
pls help me its really a bouncer to me

rahul

Rahul

Intern
Intern

Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 10:05
Wow... never considered using linear programming technique's to solve for these. Going to use matrix algebra next :)?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink] New post 25 May 2011, 11:56
jsahni123 wrote:
Hi,

Maybe some help for these two questions (graphical method)

i) Is x.|y|>y^2 ?

a)x>y
b)y>0

ii) If x and y are non-zero integers and |x| + |y| = 32 what is xy?

a)-4x -12y = 0
b)|x| - |y| = 16

Personally I think that if you an inequality with an absolute value, it is probably easier to just do it without the graphical method. In my opinion, if you really did want to graph an absolute value, I think you would have to keep in mind that |x| (where x is any value) is equal to sq root ((x)^2). With this being stated, I would rewrite the inequalities to reflect this and graph from there.

As an example, if I were to calculate the first question, this would be my approach:

1. Is x.|y|>y^2 ?

i. x>y
ii. y>0

In order for the inequality x|y| > y^2 to be true, either (a) y is -ve, and x is +ve or (b) both x and y are +ve. If (a) is the case, |x|>|y|. If (b) is the case, x>y. For an answer A, B, C, D, the statements (i) and (ii) must satisfy or not satisfy both statements (a) and (b). If statements (i) and (ii) satisfy only (a) OR (b), and not both, then the answer is E.

Statement (i): x>y. This is always true for case (b), but not (a). If y is -5 and x is -4, x>y, this violates the requirement that |x|>|y|, and the inequality is not true. Therefore not sufficient.

Statement (ii): Not sufficient because this does not tell us anything about x.

The answer would be C - x>y>0, as this satisfies the requirements we set out in (a) and (b).
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 47

Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2011, 03:55
walker wrote:
Hi all! My friend, Tarek, PM me and asked me to show how to use the graphic approach to problem with inequalities. I really love such approach because it is not only fast one after training, but also reliable. So, I try to illustrate how to use it.

1) If (x/y)>2, is 3x+2y<18?

(1) x-y is less than 2
(2) y-x is less than 2

1. First of all, we draw x/y>2. x/y=2 - is a boundary. (see figure 1). we should note that if one of the variables is negative and other is positive, x/y will be always negative and less than 2. Therefore, our set of x,y that satisfied x/y>2 lies between line x/y=2 and x-axis.

2. Next, we draw our main inequality: 3x+2y<18. 3x+2y=18 - is a boundary. (see figure 2).

3. Now, we should combine our main inequality with the restriction, x/y>2. (see figure 3). Eventually, we defined two areas (sets) were the main inequality is TRUE and were it is FALSE. Two lines intersect in point P with coordinates: (4.5;2.25).

4. Let's consider fist condition: x-y<2. x-y=2 is a boundary. (see figure 4). As we can see all y,x that satisfies the fist condition lie in "green-TRUE" region. Therefore, the first statement is sufficient to answer the question. We should be careful and check where line x-y=2 passes point P, through left side or right side. We can put y=2.25 into x-y=2 and find that x=4.25<4.5 (left side). In other words, line x-y=2 passes y=2.25 (y-coordinate of P) early and goes above P.

5. Finally, let's check last condition: y-x<2. y-x=2 is a boundary. (see figure 5). As we can see all y,x that satisfies the second condition lie in both "green-TRUE" and "red-FALSE" regions. Thus, the second condition is insufficient.

So, answer is A

This approach took less than 2 minutes.

Tips:

1) How fast can we draw a line, for example 3x+2y=18? Simple approach: we need two points to draw line, let's choose intersections with x- and y- axes. x=0 (intersection with y-axis) --> y=9; y=0 (intersection with x-axis) --> x=6.

2) Let's suppose we have a linear inequality, such as 38y-11x>121, suppose we've already drawn the line. How can we find what side is "true" and what side is "false"? The fastest method is just use y=0,x=-infinity. In our case, 0-(-infinity)=infinity>121 - true. Therefore, we take a left side.

That's all :)
Regards,
Serg a.k.a. Walker

Attachment:
The attachment tarek99.png is no longer available

i have a doubt...while plotting x/y>2...i multiplied both sides with y and got the inequality x>2y and followed nach0's rules... i got this graph...what am i missing here? whats wrong...?
Attachments

graph.png
graph.png [ 12.14 KiB | Viewed 1970 times ]

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate :
I am the captain of my soul.
~ William Ernest Henley

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 369

Kudos [?]: 1869 [1] , given: 359

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2011, 05:28
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
fivedaysleft wrote:
i have a doubt...while plotting x/y>2...i multiplied both sides with y and got the inequality x>2y .....

Your problem is a typical one for inequalities and modulus questions. You just forget to consider the case when y is negative.
Here is what you should do:

1. x/y >2
2. x >2y (y>0) & x <2y (y<0)
3. solve both inequalities BUT don't forget to apply conditions (y>0 and y<0). For example, in your plot y can't be negative.

By the way, try to check out whether the answer makes sense. Moreover, sometimes it's useful think a bit about expression at the beginning. For example, x/y > 2 only if x and y have the same sign. So, your last graph fails to pass this test.

Actually, that is why I used graphic approach as it allows to avoid such kind of mistakes.

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 47

Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2011, 10:48
so thats what i was missing!
thanks a lot!

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate :
I am the captain of my soul.
~ William Ernest Henley

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 27

Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2011, 09:14
This post received
KUDOS
Bunuel wrote:
mainhoon wrote:

My solution from: tough-inequality-challange-89225.html?hilit=walker%20graphic#p732298

If (x/y)>2, is 3x+2y<18?

(1) x-y is less than 2
(2) y-x is less than 2

\frac{x}{y}>2 tells us that x and y are either both positive or both negative, which means that all points (x,y) satisfying given inequality are either in I or III quadrant. When they are both negative (in III quadrant) inequality 3x+2y<18 is always true, so we should check only for I quadrant, or when both x and y are positive.

In I quadrant, as x and y are both positive, we can rewrite \frac{x}{y}>2 as x>2y>0 (remember x>0 and y>0).

So basically question becomes: If x>0 and y>0 and x>2y>0, is 3x+2y<18?

(1) x-y<2.

Subtract inequalities x>2y and x-y<2 (we can do this as signs are in opposite direction) --> x-(x-y)>2y-2 --> y<2.

Now add inequalities x-y<2 and y<2 (we can do this as signs are in the same direction) --> x-y+y<2+2 --> x<4.

We got y<2 and x<4. If we take maximum values x=4 and y=2 and substitute in 3x+2y<18, we'll get 12+4=16<18.

Sufficient.

(2) y-x<2 and x>2y:
x=3 and y=1 --> 3x+2y=11<18 true.
x=11 and y=5 --> 3x+2y=43<18 false.

Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

Sorry for being naive. Can you please to me the second part of the solution when you conclude it as "Not sufficient". How did you get the numbers 3, 1, 11,5 ?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 14

Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2011, 23:16
walker wrote:

1. First of all, we draw x/y>2. x/y=2 - is a boundary. (see figure 1). we should note that if one of the variables is negative and other is positive, x/y will be always negative and less than 2. Therefore, our set of x,y that satisfied x/y>2 lies between line x/y=2 and x-axis.

[/url]

Hello Walker and everyone
I might sound really dumb here but just wanted to clarify a doubt as to WHY NOT any point in quadrant 1 and quadrant 3 relating to (X,Y) will give x/y>2. How did you calculate that the points "x/y>2 lies between line x/y=2 and x-axis."
I understood that both need to be negative or both the variables need to be Positive. But these values seem to be satisfied by points in whole of quadrant 1 and quadrant 3

Waiting for your reply
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 22

Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2011, 06:30
Thanks walker for the super cool approach :) +zillion

Regards,
Asher

Intern
Intern

Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2011, 16:33
Is x > y?

(1) > y

(2) x3 > y

can some one solve this non linear which has x3 and sqrt (x) with graph method.
i need to decide on choosing on the graph method finally for my test. please help me..

if this is not feasible please suggest alternative options
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 610 Q45 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 34

Reviews Badge
Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2011, 20:14
Good post!! really helpful :)

Thanks,
GC24

Please click Kudos ,if my post helped you ;)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 59

Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2011, 02:58
I am not too clear on point no 5 Walker. Will you please help me understand?

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++

-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities   [#permalink] 18 Dec 2011, 02:58