Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 18:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Graphic approach to problems with inequalities

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
42 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 365

Kudos [?]: 1809 [42] , given: 358

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2008, 03:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi all! My friend, Tarek, PM me and asked me to show how to use the graphic approach to problem with inequalities. I really love such approach because it is not only fast one after training, but also reliable. So, I try to illustrate how to use it.

1) If (x/y)>2, is 3x+2y<18?

(1) x-y is less than 2
(2) y-x is less than 2

1. First of all, we draw x/y>2. x/y=2 - is a boundary. (see figure 1). we should note that if one of the variables is negative and other is positive, x/y will be always negative and less than 2. Therefore, our set of x,y that satisfied x/y>2 lies between line x/y=2 and x-axis.

2. Next, we draw our main inequality: 3x+2y<18. 3x+2y=18 - is a boundary. (see figure 2).

3. Now, we should combine our main inequality with the restriction, x/y>2. (see figure 3). Eventually, we defined two areas (sets) were the main inequality is TRUE and were it is FALSE. Two lines intersect in point P with coordinates: (4.5;2.25).

4. Let's consider fist condition: x-y<2. x-y=2 is a boundary. (see figure 4). As we can see all y,x that satisfies the fist condition lie in "green-TRUE" region. Therefore, the first statement is sufficient to answer the question. We should be careful and check where line x-y=2 passes point P, through left side or right side. We can put y=2.25 into x-y=2 and find that x=4.25<4.5 (left side). In other words, line x-y=2 passes y=2.25 (y-coordinate of P) early and goes above P.

5. Finally, let's check last condition: y-x<2. y-x=2 is a boundary. (see figure 5). As we can see all y,x that satisfies the second condition lie in both "green-TRUE" and "red-FALSE" regions. Thus, the second condition is insufficient.

So, answer is A

This approach took less than 2 minutes.

Tips:

1) How fast can we draw a line, for example 3x+2y=18? Simple approach: we need two points to draw line, let's choose intersections with x- and y- axes. x=0 (intersection with y-axis) --> y=9; y=0 (intersection with x-axis) --> x=6.

2) Let's suppose we have a linear inequality, such as 38y-11x>121, suppose we've already drawn the line. How can we find what side is "true" and what side is "false"? The fastest method is just use y=0,x=-infinity. In our case, 0-(-infinity)=infinity>121 - true. Therefore, we take a left side.

see also: http://gmatclub.com/forum/7-t75657

That's all :)
Regards,
Serg a.k.a. Walker

Attachment:
tarek99.png
tarek99.png [ 17.04 KiB | Viewed 30836 times ]

see also post by Nach0: Quick Way to Graph Inequalities

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 0

Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2008, 03:55
Thanks Walker, I use this approach for such problems, but sometime I'm too lazy to make a diagram on computer and post it.. :wink: I prefer pen and paper....
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 1809 [4] , given: 358

Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2008, 04:02
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This is a so powerful approach that I decided to spent some time to illustrate it. Good luck all with your exam!

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2008, 05:21
Thnanks for sharing this kind of approach. I will use this approach. Great job.

Thanks again.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 07:44
walker wrote:
Hi all! My friend, Tarek, PM me and asked me to show how to use the graphic approach to problem with inequalities. I really love such approach because it is not only fast one after training, but also reliable. So, I try to illustrate how to use it.

(1) x-y is less than 2
(2) y-x is less than 2

1. First of all, we draw x/y>2. x/y=2 - is a boundary. (see figure 1). we should note that if one of the variables is negative and other is positive, x/y will be always negative and less than 2. Therefore, our set of x,y that satisfied x/y>2 lies between line x/y=2 and x-axis.

2. Next, we draw our main inequality: 3x+2y<18. 3x+2y=18 - is a boundary. (see figure 2).

3. Now, we should combine our main inequality with the restriction, x/y>2. (see figure 3). Eventually, we defined two areas (sets) were the main inequality is TRUE and were it is FALSE. Two lines intersect in point P with coordinates: (4.5;2.25).

4. Let's consider fist condition: x-y<2. x-y=2 is a boundary. (see figure 4). As we can see all y,x that satisfies the fist condition lie in "green-TRUE" region. Therefore, the first statement is sufficient to answer the question. We should be careful and check where line x-y=2 passes point P, through left side or right side. We can put x=4.5 into x-y=2 and find that y=4.25<4.5 (left side).

5. Finally, let's check last condition: y-x<2. y-x=2 is a boundary. (see figure 5). As we can see all y,x that satisfies the second condition lie in both "green-TRUE" and "red-FALSE" regions. Thus, the second condition is insufficient.

So, answer is A

This approach took less than 2 minutes.

Additional tip: Let's suppose we have a linear inequality, such as 38y-11x>121, suppose we've already drawn the line. How can we find what side is "true" and what side is "false"? The fastest method is just use y=0,x=-infinity. In our case, 0-(-infinity)=infinity>121 - true. Therefore, we take a left side.That's all :)

Regards,
Serg a.k.a. Walker

never thought of using this approach. brilliant!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 07:55
i have no talent in using this, but thanks, good advice!
Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 5

Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2008, 08:34
Hi - can someone help me explain Tip #2? I don't really understand what it is saying. Thanks.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 1809 [1] , given: 358

Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2008, 09:27
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
bigfernhead wrote:
Hi - can someone help me explain Tip #2? I don't really understand what it is saying. Thanks.

See fig.2 - we have line 3x+2y=18. Where is 3x+2y<18? left or right side? we put x=-infinity and y=0 --> -infinity<18. Is is correct? Yes. Therefore, left side corresponds to 3x+2y<18 (orange color in fig.2)

Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 5

Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2008, 09:42
Gotcha. Thank you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2008, 23:49
Very useful, Walker!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2008, 00:42
Is there any other method to solve these type of questions????
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth, Stern, Haas

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 2

Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2009, 04:40
walker wrote:

(1) x-y is less than 2
(2) y-x is less than 2

How do we find which area should be shaded? In first step you defined that set of x and y lies between line x/y=2 and x-axis. Thanks
Expert Post
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 1809 [0], given: 358

Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2009, 08:24
Expert's post
kbulse wrote:
How do we find which area should be shaded? In first step you defined that set of x and y lies between line x/y=2 and x-axis. Thanks

One of approaches is to check any point.
Let's consider x>0 and try point between x/y=2 and x=0, for example, x=2, y=0.5. For this point x/y=4>2 and the expression is true.
We could also try point above x/y=2 line. For example, x=2, y=2. For this point x/y=1 <2 and the expression is false.
In conclusion, to find what area works, just pick any point in that area (the better to choose a point, for which it is possible to calculate fast).

Manager
Manager

Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2009, 09:07
walker wrote:
kbulse wrote:

One of approaches is to check any point.
Let's consider x>0 and try point between x/y=2 and x=0, for example, x=2, y=0.5. For this point x/y=4>2 and the expression is true.
We could also try point above x/y=2 line. For example, x=2, y=2. For this point x/y=1 <2 and the expression is false.
In conclusion, to find what area works, just pick any point in that area (the better to choose a point, for which it is possible to calculate fast).

Hi walker,

how about this way:
x/y>2 => y>x/2 then draw the line y=x/2 and shade everything which is upper side of the line? is it not correct?
Expert Post
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 1809 [0], given: 358

Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2009, 10:05
Expert's post
kbulse wrote:
how about this way:
x/y>2 => y>x/2 then draw the line y=x/2 and shade everything which is upper side of the line? is it not correct?

1) you should be careful with first operation because it is an inequality and you multiply both sides by y that can have a different sign and change a sign of the inequality.

The correct answer will be:
x/y>2 => x/y * y>2 *y at y>=0 and x/y * y<2 *y at y<0 ==> y<x/2 at y>=0 and y>x/2 at y<0

Manager
Manager

Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2009, 10:14
I didn't know that :oops: , i was hesitating whether to ask that question, now I am glad that I asked about that. Thanks
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO

Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2009, 10:28
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
kbulse wrote:
I didn't know that :oops: , i was hesitating whether to ask that question, now I am glad that I asked about that. Thanks

No problem :) that is why we all are here

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2009, 00:30
This post received
KUDOS
Let's consider fist condition: x-y<2. x-y=2 is a boundary. (see figure 4). As we can see all y,x that satisfies the fist condition lie in "green-TRUE" region. Therefore, the first statement is sufficient to answer the question. We should be careful and check where line x-y=2 passes point P, through left side or right side. We can put x=4.5 into x-y=2 and find that y=4.25<4.5 (left side).

Hi ! Can you please clarify the above part for me. According to me, to check for point p, if we put x=4.5 and y = 2.25, we get 4.5-2.25=2.25, which does not satisfy the inequality x-y<2 and thus lie in the false region. I am a little confused here, trying my hands at this for the first time, please correct me if I am wrong.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO

Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2009, 02:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Thanks, there is a typo here:
Instead of
walker wrote:
... We can put x=4.5 into x-y=2 and find that y=4.25<4.5 (left side).

should be: ... We can put x=4.5 into x-y=2 and find that y=2.5>2.25 (left side, line x-y=2 goes above P).
or even better: ... We can put y=2.25 into x-y=2 and find that x=4.25<4.5 (left side). In other words, line x-y=2 passes y=2.25 (y-coordinate of P) early and goes above P.

I've fixed it in original post.
+1

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2009, 10:06
Yep, it all makes sense to me now..thanks, really appreciate all the effort.
Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities   [#permalink] 10 Mar 2009, 10:06