Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Nov 2014, 13:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

GRE Diagnostic Test score interpretation - Pls help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

GRE Diagnostic Test score interpretation - Pls help [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2012, 13:11
Hi Folks,

I took the GMAT earlier this month and after much deliberation decided to take the GRE instead of retaking the GMAT.

I had posted in the 'Ask the experts ' forum regarding my dilemma and got great insights ( gmat-revised-gre-trying-to-understand-what-will-suit-me-125754.html )

As advised by the experts I took a GRE diagnostic test , the powerprep and need to understand the scores. Although i missed marking a few Quant questions and in verbal i was struggling in vocab as i hadn't done any i want to understand where to focus. I owe some of these misses to the fact that i wasn't familiar with the GRE format at all.

Score and strategy:
My diagnostic test score is 360-460,Verbal ; 670-770,Quant. The college i want to get in to has a median score of 574 Verbal; 672 Quantitative. I have about 2-3 months so pls advise how to go about preparing ?

Study material:
I had prepared for the GMAT so i have the OG 11 and the manhattan series. I will do self study so pls advice which book to pick , which forums to follow (this one looks good though :) I am in Boston so pls advise accordingly. I want to continue practicing math so which book do u think i should refer to?

Best,
B
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh Co-Founder
Schools: UC Berkeley (Haas) - Class of 2010
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 12

Re: GRE Diagnostic Test score interpretation - Pls help [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2012, 12:39
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi B,

Based on the results of your diagnostic, I'd suggest focusing on Verbal. Your Quant range seems to be above the median of the program you are targeting, though it wouldn't hurt to do a some additional prep in Quant, as performing well above average will certainly help your chances of admittance. The new scoring scale for the GRE has led to a bit of confusion, I recently wrote a blog post that details out how to think about your score (http://magoosh.com/gre/2012/new-gre-score-conversion/)

We also have a link to a 2-3 month study plan for the GRE here: http://magoosh.com/gre/2011/2-3-month-gre-study-guide/

I hope that helps!
Bhavin

Bhavin Parikh
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern

Re: GRE Diagnostic Test score interpretation - Pls help [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2012, 12:41
Thanks Bhavin.

Need clarification on the GRE format.. during the actual exam are we allowed to mark the questions and review them later if time if left?
Intern
Intern

Re: GRE Diagnostic Test score interpretation - Pls help [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2012, 12:43
and thanks for pasting these links.. i have gone through most of Chris's blogs.. thanks a bunch
Expert Post
Magoosh Co-Founder
Schools: UC Berkeley (Haas) - Class of 2010
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 12

Re: GRE Diagnostic Test score interpretation - Pls help [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2012, 13:59
Expert's post
No problem! And yes, you can mark or flag questions and review them later on the actual exam. The Powerprep mock test you took from ETS should have had this feature. If you'd like additional practice, we (Magoosh) also have practice in which you can set up timed sessions to create a "mock test". You can learn more at http://gre.magoosh.com

Thanks!
Bhavin

Bhavin Parikh
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern

Re: GRE Diagnostic Test score interpretation - Pls help [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2012, 14:16
Thanks for the prompt reply Bhavin. Yes, that feature was there but i got a little confused. I will check the links you have pasted.

Appreciate your help.

Best,
B
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 585

Kudos [?]: 2386 [1] , given: 33

Re: GRE Diagnostic Test score interpretation - Pls help [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2013, 10:24
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I hope Bibli is now in school and having a wonderful time.

If anyone else reading this has questions about taking the GRE for business school, instead of the GMAT, I would recommend this blog:
http://magoosh.com/gre/2013/gre-for-business-school/

Let me know if anyone has any questions.
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Re: GRE Diagnostic Test score interpretation - Pls help   [#permalink] 11 Apr 2013, 10:24