Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Oxford'10
 Q49  V37
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 545 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q50  V45
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, entrepreneurship
Schools:Booth, Stern, Haas
Send PM
Re: GRE is becoming an option instead of GMAT at Bschools [#permalink]
just wandering, which one is more difficult?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Oxford'10
 Q49  V37
Send PM
kazakhb wrote:
just wandering, which one is more difficult?

I've heard GMAT is more difficult, but GRE needs better vocabulary.

https://www.800score.com/gmat-and-gre.html
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Err..to make money? Both from ETS and GRE-taking applicants. I think it's a good idea...having a choice between the SAT and ACT for college admissions seems to have worked out rather well, too.

eschn3am wrote:
I don't like the idea that much. The part about students who may take the GRE for something else and then apply to B-school on a whim is something I especially disagree with. Why would schools want to open themselves up to a torrent of applications from seemingly less than committed individuals?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 545 [0]
 Q50  V45
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
Err..to make money? Both from ETS and GRE-taking applicants. I think it's a good idea...having a choice between the SAT and ACT for college admissions seems to have worked out rather well, too.

eschn3am wrote:
I don't like the idea that much. The part about students who may take the GRE for something else and then apply to B-school on a whim is something I especially disagree with. Why would schools want to open themselves up to a torrent of applications from seemingly less than committed individuals?

I don't like the idea of a new flood of applications from people taking a (from what I've heard) significantly easier test who may or may not even want to do business school. Obviously it makes tremendous sense for ETS, but I don't know, nor care about them 8-)
VP
VP
If this does happen, I'm sure the bar will be higher for GRE-applicants. Assuming the GRE is indeed "easier" to crack than the GMAT. I like that bit about the GRE being accessible to more test takers than the GMAT is. And it's not 250$ a pop!

eschn3am wrote:
I don't like the idea of a new flood of applications from people taking a (from what I've heard) significantly easier test who may or may not even want to do business school. Obviously it makes tremendous sense for ETS, but I don't know, nor care about them 8-)
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
solaris1 wrote:
If this does happen, I'm sure the bar will be higher for GRE-applicants. Assuming the GRE is indeed "easier" to crack than the GMAT. I like that bit about the GRE being accessible to more test takers than the GMAT is. And it's not 250$ a pop!

eschn3am wrote:

I can't see much value for students really - savings of $70? more testing centers? I don't think that's very advantageous.
On the other hand, having millions of other applicants who were originally thinking about a PhD in Philosophy and now are applying for an MBA, just for the sake of it, is increased competition for the limited number of seats at B-schools.
VP
VP
c'mon bb, Ph.D's in Philosophy (or Ph.D's in anything for that matter) are a pretty self-selecting pool to begin with.
I doubt they'd decide to apply for an MBA, just for the sake of it, simply because they can now avoid taking the GMAT.

The grad folks who'd apply to b-school using GRE scores are the same folks who would have applied to b-school any way, even if this had never happened. There is not going to be any significant increased competition.

Moreover, once GRE scores start getting accepted, GMAC is going to be forced to make GMAT testing and sending score reports more affordable. And I'm sure 70$ is a fair bit of money to students taking the GMAT abroad.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
I just can't believe that GMAC is allowed to have that kind of monopoly, requiring the GMAT. I can't imagine that standing up in court. Just doesn't seem legal.

But at any rate, yeah $70 is a big diff when you add up the costs of preparing for the test, applying, etc. For internationals especially, I'm sure.

I'm not really sure which test would be less painful. GRE has the vocab and geometry (which I hate) and the GMAT has those damned permutations and combinations. I HATE DS especially. Both tests suck, if you ask me.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
vocabulary on the GRE alone would add weeks, perhaps months to my studying time. all else being equal I would prefer the GMAT
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Interesting discussion / topic. I am a victim of the reverse - i.e. a graduate course not accepting GMAT but accepting ONLY the GRE. My original intention was to do a Masters in Finance (or equivalent), however I realised that the GMAT it would open me up to all b-schools for MBA and some schools for Finance. However i soon realised that all grad finance courses want very high numbers in quant - supposedly much easier to achieve in the GRE than in the GMAT. Some finance course - Chicagos MSFM and NYU's MS come to mind - do NOT accept GMAT altogether.

In fact NYU has introduced this wonderful MBA/MS conjoint which I'd LOVE to do, except to qualify, it seems I'd need to do both, the GMAT and the GRE. This I find totally ridiculous...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Well well...

The example there in that article hits so close to home.....It is almost vicarious...

If i can share my exp...i started thinking of mastering in Comp Sc after under-grad and gave my GRE before getting into a Top Indian IT company. I got a decent score of 1470 and thought about giving couple of years in the industry and then going for MS. However, the wheels of destiny and my total disillusionment with my work profile messed it up. In May 2007 i gave up on MS and went in for a GMAT. I've ended up applying to my "choice" of schools with a 680 :| :cry: ....

I remember reading a similar article on internet about stanford accepting GRE scores for an MBA. I even posted a new thread on this GRE acceptance for an MBA program.... but couldnt gather any information on schools other than stanford accepting GRE scores...alas...if only i could ever utilise my GRE scores! :|

In any case, i def think GRE is a little easier than GMAT and with more affordable rates..it will open options to a wider audience. But i also think and agree that it will add little to the number of ppl applying to GMAT already.... if you can afford to go for an MBA then 70 bucks wont make that big a difference... and in any case folks would get more competitive scores in GRE....making GMAT the filtering criteria and ultimately the credible choice.

Just my view.

FP
GMAT Club Bot