Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 07:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Gre verbal part for international students

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Gre verbal part for international students [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2011, 05:03
I want to apply to a msc in finance in eu. I'm an italian student and even my language skills are not bad, i'm havung many problems with the verbal part on the gmat. Looking on the websites of the programs i'm considering i found out that aboyt the gre scores they say just the quant score. Looking for a reason online i found that many schools just consider that score. Is it true also for the new version of the gre?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 286

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Gre verbal part for international students [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2011, 08:04
alexba91 wrote:
I want to apply to a msc in finance in eu. I'm an italian student and even my language skills are not bad, i'm havung many problems with the verbal part on the gmat. Looking on the websites of the programs i'm considering i found out that aboyt the gre scores they say just the quant score. Looking for a reason online i found that many schools just consider that score. Is it true also for the new version of the gre?

While the schools are more interested in the quant score, and have cut-offs for quant, I'm not sure they totally disregard the verbal score. Are there any schools that publicly say they're only interested in the Quant score?

Net Impact's BUSINESS AS UNUSUAL Guide - a must-read!

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Gre verbal part for international students [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2011, 14:38
rasta wrote:
alexba91 wrote:

While the schools are more interested in the quant score, and have cut-offs for quant, I'm not sure they totally disregard the verbal score. Are there any schools that publicly say they're only interested in the Quant score?

st.gallen university states on the information about the criteria for selection that they value only the score recorded in the quant part. i didn't find any other program where it was stated the same, but for example hec in the entry requirements for the finance economics program or lse for almost all its financial programs say only the average quant score, they don't say anything about the verbal one.
Manager
Manager
GMAt Status: Quant section
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
Schools: WBS (D)
GMAT Date: 12-30-2011
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 94

GMAT Tests User
Re: Gre verbal part for international students [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2011, 08:50
We are in the same boat :)
they are apathetic about the verbal, however, a bad verbal score might adversely affect your chances.
Oxford do requires the verbal section for financial programme.
good luck

How can i lose my faith in life's fairness when i know that the dreams of those who sleep on the feathers are not more beautiful than the dreams of those who sleep on the ground? - Jubran Khaleel Jubran

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Investment Banking)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Gre verbal part for international students [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2011, 09:08
This post received
KUDOS
Oxford indeed requires good verbal scores (financial economics), whereas cambridge does not for its finance and economics program. They only want you to have a descent writing score, besides quant of course. HEC has really modest requirements for its FE program ...

I have my GRE on the 3.1. Hopefully Manhattan's vocabulary helps me to reach a nice score ;)

Are you two guys applying for any of the LSE/CAM/OX programs? I do so for Applicable Math, Finance and Economics, and Financial Economics, respectively.
Re: Gre verbal part for international students   [#permalink] 31 Dec 2011, 09:08