Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 05:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Great Way To Study/Expand Vocabulary While Having Fun

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.02
WE: Engineering (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Great Way To Study/Expand Vocabulary While Having Fun [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2013, 04:50
I know this isn't as intensive as on the GRE but I have just started studying for the GMAT and, outside of the normal studying procedures, I also resolved to start reading a lot more. I used to read a lot but since high school haven't read much in terms of fiction, and this presented me with a great opportunity to do so. I've picked up a bunch of the classics, some of which are on the GMAT book list thread here, as well as Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco. I've also picked up a small Moleskine notebook. As I read through a book I'm underlining words that I don't completely understand. In the notebook I'm writing down the page number on which they occur, their definition, the definitions and sources of their roots (usually Greek or Latin), as well as some synonyms. I'm then going back over the section I read and reading it over again, referencing any underlined words in my notebook if I don't completely remember it.

Usually I can get a rough understanding of words' meanings based on their context and roots, but that doesn't stick with me enough to actually understand the word, so this process is really helping me. It's exhausting when going through an Eco novel for sure, but it's really satisfying. I'm not sure where I'm going to go with this but I think once I get through a book I'm going to work up some flash cards or something from the words I wrote down, as well as their roots.

I'm hoping this will drastically improve both my vocabulary, understanding of roots, and reading comprehension. Having an engineering background, I'm assuming quant will be my best section by far, so I'm really hoping this will bring up my verbal scores drastically.

This is also a really fun way to expand one's vocabulary, and has really helped me sit down and absorb a book in a more complete way than just skimming over words and getting a vague understanding based on their context. I'm finding I get a lot more out of reading when I do this.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Princeton Review Representative
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 0

Re: Great Way To Study/Expand Vocabulary While Having Fun [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2013, 14:47
Expert's post
Remember that vocabulary is not directly tested on the GMAT but reading is still an excellent way to study outside the realm of doing actual questions. One way you can improve your reading comprehension is by reading intellectual articles one paragraph at a time and then summarizing the paragraph in one sentence. Then, once you have read the entire article use your paragraph summaries to summarize the entire article in one or two sentences. Good magazines to read are TIME and Newsweek - those tend to be written at the same reading level as many of the reading comp questions on the GMAT.

Special offer! Save $250 on GMAT Ultimate Classroom, GMAT Small Group Instruction, or GMAT Liveonline when you use the promo code GCVERBAL250. Or, save $150 on GMAT Self-Prep when you use the code GCVERBAL150. Enroll at www.princetonreview.com

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 218

Kudos [?]: 329 [0], given: 5

Re: Great Way To Study/Expand Vocabulary While Having Fun [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2013, 21:19
Expert's post
Interesting discussion. Here is another thread with "off-GMAT" reading material/tips to prep for GMAT Verbal: the-economist-reading-comprehension-challenge-151479.html#p1219005

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Great Way To Study/Expand Vocabulary While Having Fun [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2014, 18:57
Devon, one way you can expand your vocabulary AND have fun doing it is reading vocabulary words in context sentences.

The source I linked has over 1,000 GRE/SAT level vocabulary words in context sentences so you can decipher the word's meaning without referring to the definition. This is the proper and fun way to do your vocabulary because IT STICKS! Definitions are amnesic. Statements are memorable.

Since I've been reading intermediate and advanced level words in sentences, specifically written in a way that screams out the word's meaning, I find myself peppering the words throughout my conversations with ease. So needless to say, I remember vocabulary learning this way rather than just using the dictionary. ;)

It's fun and rewarding to know a word for life instead for just a test.
Re: Great Way To Study/Expand Vocabulary While Having Fun   [#permalink] 01 Aug 2014, 18:57