Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 17:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Greek tragedy, one of the enduring pillars of our belief

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 348 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Greek tragedy, one of the enduring pillars of our belief [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2012, 21:35
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

29% (02:27) correct 71% (01:35) wrong based on 446 sessions
Greek tragedy, one of the enduring pillars of our belief system, dramatized the concept that
the misfortune a person suffers is not an accident, but rather a logical outcome of flaws in
that person’s nature; the misfortune is thus that person’s “fault.” Nonetheless, today the
public broadly supports bankruptcy protection, family welfare and other “social safety net”
programs that shield the destitute in the face of their hardships, at taxpayer expense. Which
of the following, if true, would best resolve the paradox in the statements above?
A) The ancient Greeks had few, if any, such social safety net programs in their society.
b) The majority of the public is more familiar with the works of Shakespeare than those of
Greek tragedy.
c) Some people insist that society, not the individual, is to blame for most accidents.
d) Many people in financial difficulties feel too ashamed to declare bankruptcy or to take
advantage of other social safety net programs.
e) The religions practiced by most people today strongly encourage people to contribute to
charities that assist innocent people injured in natural disasters, such as hurricanes.

Main CR Qs link - cr-qs-600-700-level-131508.html
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1112

Kudos [?]: 5035 [3] , given: 164

Re: Greek tragedy, one of the enduring pillars of our belief [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2012, 21:19
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Aristocrat wrote:
Can someone explain an argument?
I am unable to figure out what author as a whole trying to say.
Especially what statement below implies.

Nonetheless, today the
public broadly supports bankruptcy protection, family welfare and other “social safety net”
programs that shield the destitute in the face of their hardships, at taxpayer expense.

The argument talks about the Western culture. He says that the belief system of the west is based on the concept that
the misfortune a person suffers is that person’s “fault". The misfortune could be anything - losing a job, getting orphaned, injury in natural disasters etc. A person suffers because of his own deeds. Hence, it is surprising that their govt has various plans (which are supported by the general public) e.g. bankruptcy protection, family welfare, unemployment schemes etc. Under these schemes, people are paid money by the govt if they undergo some misfortune. e.g. if a person loses his job, he gets unemployment benefits i.e. the govt pays him a fixed income regularly for some time.
The paradox here is that though the belief system says that the person's misfortune is his own fault, still people broadly support social welfare plans.

As discussed above, (C) is incorrect because it says 'Some people insist' though the plans are broadly supported. This doesn't help resolve the paradox why people generally support these welfare programs.

(E) is correct because it offers an alternative belief system that people follow today. Their religion tells them that people suffering through hardships e.g. natural disasters are innocent (it's not their own fault) and that one needs to assist them. That is why people support the welfare programs.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 49 [1] , given: 17

Re: Greek tragedy, one of the enduring pillars of our belief [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 05:30
This post received
KUDOS
GetThisDone wrote:
Greek tragedy, one of the enduring pillars of our belief system, dramatized the concept that
the misfortune a person suffers is not an accident, but rather a logical outcome of flaws in
that person’s nature; the misfortune is thus that person’s “fault.” Nonetheless, today the
programs that shield the destitute in the face of their hardships, at taxpayer expense. Which
of the following, if true, would best resolve the paradox in the statements above?
A) The ancient Greeks had few, if any, such social safety net programs in their society.
b) The majority of the public is more familiar with the works of Shakespeare than those of
Greek tragedy.
c) Some people insist that society, not the individual, is to blame for most accidents.
d) Many people in financial difficulties feel too ashamed to declare bankruptcy or to take
e) The religions practiced by most people today strongly encourage people to contribute to
charities that assist innocent people injured in natural disasters, such as hurricanes.

Main CR Qs link - cr-qs-600-700-level-131508.html

I stumbled on this one...Indeed a toughie!
I got OE for this, hope it helps.

The statements above present a paradox. If, as the author implies, the ethos of
Greek tragedy still holds as an "enduring pillar of our belief system," an ethos
declaring each person's misfortune that person's fault, then the majority of the
public should not support "social safety net" programs, which are based on the
philosophical position that someone's misfortune is not necessarily his or her
fault.
(A) This choice does not resolve the paradox. The observation that the ancient
Greeks had few social safety net programs does not explain why the public today
supports such programs, while holding onto the ethos of Greek tragedy.
(B) This is an irrelevant comparison. This choice does not say that the public is
actually unfamiliar with Greek tragedy, and its greater familiarity with
Shakespeare does not explain the paradox.
(C) The fact that "some" people insist that society is to blame for misfortune
does not explain why the public today "broadly supports" social safety net
programs.
(D) This choice does not resolve the paradox. Perhaps many destitute people do
not take advantage of social safety net programs because they feel ashamed --
maybe even guilty, as if they caused their own misfortunes (whether or not they
did), in accordance with the ethos of Greek tragedy. However, this observation
does not explain why these programs enjoy the broad support of the public.
(E) CORRECT. This statement undermines the author’s assumption that the
ethos of the ancient Greeks is the only operative component of the public's belief
system. If most people believe in helping innocent victims of natural disasters,
then they must believe that there can be "innocent victims" and that not all
misfortune is due to the actions and flaws of the individual in question.

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Paradox - # 1 [#permalink] New post 02 May 2012, 07:12
IMO C is the right one.

I don't understand how E would resolve the paradox. Please explain.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Paradox - # 1 [#permalink] New post 02 May 2012, 09:10
I also do not see how E can be the answer....

Not relevant to the argument...What the ancient Greeks had back then does not influence our decisions now

B) The majority of the public is more familiar with the works of Shakespeare than those of
Greek tragedy.
Shakespeare? We are only concerned with Greek influences...

C) Some people insist that society, not the individual, is to blame for most accidents.
Although the wording is a bit weak (i.e., stronger wording such as "all" or "most" would have been better to show how the public broadly supports people who are in need) this does the best job why people may help out others even though they're poor.

D) Many people in financial difficulties feel too ashamed to declare bankruptcy or to take advantage of other social safety net programs.
How is this relevant?

E) The religions practiced by most people today strongly encourage people to contribute to
This answer choice is only relevant to "innocent people injured in natural disasters." The examples given in the actual argument above states otherwise (i.e., "destitue" = those who are poor, impoverished, etc.)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 10

Re: CR - Paradox - # 1 [#permalink] New post 03 May 2012, 02:24
Based on elimination strategy, i chose E. C has only "some people". E shows people's tendency/belief to help those in need even though the condition they are in is not their fault(innocent) which in turn explains the people's tendecy to help destitues as well.

I have noticed that answers involving "some", "a few" are seldom true(mostly in some weaken type of questions they are the answers.)
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 297 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Paradox - # 1 [#permalink] New post 03 May 2012, 19:37
+1 C

E is out of scope. We are talking about the taxpayers, not about the people who give money to charities.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: CR - Paradox - # 1 [#permalink] New post 11 May 2012, 04:21
I also have doubts as to why the answer must be E.

We are not concerned with Social Safety Net in the times of Greek. We are concerned with the current time only.

B) The majority of the public is more familiar with the works of Shakespeare than those of
Greek tragedy.
We are not concerned with works of Shakespeare or for that matter about Greek tragedies. Our concern is limited to the view held by Greek with respect to human tragedy.

C) Some people insist that society, not the individual, is to blame for most accidents.
As suggested, wording is weak. But it talks about accidents, role of individual and helps explain why an individual should help others in need.

D) Many people in financial difficulties feel too ashamed to declare bankruptcy or to take advantage of other social safety net programs.
We are concerned with people who declare bankruptcy or who take advantage of Social Safety Net.

E) The religions practiced by most people today strongly encourage people to contribute to
It is correct by pointing towards the need to help others in need. But it talks of natural disasters and leaves out other accidents such as bankruptcy, social security net, etc. Also, it talks of money spent by charity and not tax-payer's money i.e. government help through social security net.

C is not entirely correct but appears a good choice among the given options.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V23
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 15

Re: CR - Paradox - # 1 [#permalink] New post 11 May 2012, 09:21
Greek tragedy.

Main CR Qs link - cr-qs-600-700-level-131508.html[/quote]

+1 for C.
C clearly states that it is not the individual but the society who is to be blamed for most of the accidents. That's why though people believe that the misfortune is a person's fault, yet they shield the destitute in the face of their hardships, at taxpayer expense.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V32
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 15

Re: Greek tragedy, one of the enduring pillars of our belief [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2012, 00:19
IMO C would be wrong because the passage mention "public broadly supports", whereas C is about some people.
Moreover natural disasters in option E can be supported by "the misfortune a person suffers" from the passage and "public broadly supports" will support "encourage people to contribute to charities" in the answer choice.

while(1) { "I Love GMAT" . "I Hate GMAT" } .. BREAK .. Thank god this is over, but now I miss it!!
My Debrief - Broken Shackles 600-750 http://gmatclub.com/forum/broken-shackles-600-to-170870.html

VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 263 [0], given: 67

Re: Greek tragedy, one of the enduring pillars of our belief [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2012, 08:18
IMO E is the best answer.
Paradox : People are now contributing towards others misfortune; they should have been let to suffer as during ancient time.

Took time to eliminate C.
E states a reason for people's behavior today; C just gives an explanation for the thought of a few ppl. We do not know what was there previous belief. Hence E
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-18-2012

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 23

Re: Greek tragedy, one of the enduring pillars of our belief [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2012, 10:08

Nonetheless, today the
programs that shield the destitute in the face of their hardships, at taxpayer expense.

Thriving for CHANGE

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 14

Re: Greek tragedy, one of the enduring pillars of our belief [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2012, 12:21
+1 for C
I cannot figure out how E is OA
Kindly explain.

Thanks and Regards,
Charu Kapoor

Never Never Never GIVE UP !!
Consider KUDOS in case I was able to help you.

VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 263 [0], given: 67

Re: Greek tragedy, one of the enduring pillars of our belief [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2012, 16:29
Aristocrat wrote:

Nonetheless, today the

hey
I will try to help you with this one...In simple words argument says "If some one makes a mistake it is he who should pay or suffer for it (this is described to happen in ancient culture), but hings are changing i.e govt has set up some plans from tax payers money to save people or institutions from bankruptcy"

Hope that helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------------------------------------
Consider Kudos, If My post Helped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 2.93

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 8

Re: Greek tragedy, one of the enduring pillars of our belief [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2012, 19:30
trap argument: Misfortunes are people's own fault, but others help anyway.
trap answer (c): Greeks say it's their own fault, show that it isn't. Society is to blame, not the individual.

real argument: People support helping others today, even though Ancient Greeks told us it's their own fault.
real answer (e): Why do people support helping others? because their religion tells them to.

I also went to C first, probably because I forgot to go back and focus on the conclusion.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 10

Re: Greek tragedy, one of the enduring pillars of our belief [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2012, 02:42
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Aristocrat wrote:

Nonetheless, today the

The argument talks about the Western culture. He says that the belief system of the west is based on the concept that
the misfortune a person suffers is that person’s “fault". The misfortune could be anything - losing a job, getting orphaned, injury in natural disasters etc. A person suffers because of his own deeds. Hence, it is surprising that their govt has various plans (which are supported by the general public) e.g. bankruptcy protection, family welfare, unemployment schemes etc. Under these schemes, people are paid money by the govt if they undergo some misfortune. e.g. if a person loses his job, he gets unemployment benefits i.e. the govt pays him a fixed income regularly for some time.
The paradox here is that though the belief system says that the person's misfortune is his own fault, still people broadly support social welfare plans.

As discussed above, (C) is incorrect because it says 'Some people insist' though the plans are broadly supported. This doesn't help resolve the paradox why people generally support these welfare programs.

(E) is correct because it offers an alternative belief system that people follow today. Their religion tells them that people suffering through hardships e.g. natural disasters are innocent (it's not their own fault) and that one needs to assist them. That is why people support the welfare programs.

I would like to post my views on this question and more generally on how you resolve paradoxes.

Let us consider the following statements.

Statement 1: He has always followed righteous behavior
Statement 2: He has lied sometimes

The statements seem to go against each other. It seems that both cannot be true at the same time. But you resolve it by considering the fact that he had lied when he had to safeguard a greater righteousness. So he has in effect been always righteous. Paradoxes happen when two facts apparently clash against each other. Paradoxes are usually resolved by taking the big picture into account and therefore enhancing the scope of the given facts. That way the restrictions imposed at the lower level would vanish. You also resolve paradoxes by considering a new information that reconciles the apparently contradicting facts and so on

But in the given problem, the paradox is resolved by replacing the fact with an alternative fact. That is, instead of people following the Greek system, it is taken that people are following current religious practices. Though this looks somewhat weird because you are replacing one of the components causing the paradox itself by some other component. I am not sure how valid is this practice of resolving a paradox. I request that students and also the experts share their views.

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep
http://www.sravna.com/courses.php

Classroom Courses in Chennai
Online and Correspondence Courses

GMAT Instructor
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 680 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Greek tragedy, one of the enduring pillars of our belief [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2012, 10:46
I really dislike this question. I suppose it's a difficult question, but for the wrong reasons: it's difficult because the right answer doesn't make much sense. It's obviously not an official question. Answer C cannot be right, because knowing what "some people" think does nothing to explain why *most* people think something (we know that "the public *broadly supports*" social programs". That really only leaves E, but I don't think it's a good answer, and I find the OE (quoted above) especially problematic:

hermit84 wrote:

I got OE for this, hope it helps.

The statements above present a paradox. If, as the author implies, the ethos of
Greek tragedy still holds as an "enduring pillar of our belief system," an ethos
declaring each person's misfortune that person's fault, then the majority of the
public should not support "social safety net" programs,
which are based on the
philosophical position that someone's misfortune is not necessarily his or her
fault.

I've highlighted in red an assumption here that is completely unwarranted. It is perfectly possible for the public to believe that people are to blame for their own misfortune, and yet that these people deserve to be supported anyway. So there's no paradox to begin with unless you make the (in my opinion, bizarre) assumption that I've highlighted in red above, and that's the crux of the question. E only gets at this issue in the most oblique of ways, so I just don't think the question is well constructed.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 2
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Greek tragedy, one of the enduring pillars of our belief [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 18:42
I wrongly chose D and eliminate E first hand. Because E is too specific about charities and hurricans. But after reviewing the argument, which is based on 'belief system'. And only E solve this paradoxy by explaining today's 'religion' has changed for many people. Hope this helps understand why E is the key
SVP
SVP
Followers: 259

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Greek tragedy, one of the enduring pillars of our belief [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2014, 00:03
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 110

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Greek tragedy, one of the enduring pillars of our belief [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2014, 19:55
in the zeal by prep companies to make 700 level questions, they sometimes engineer questions (variant of OGs) and ans choices which cant be unambiguously eliminated. We can find several such questions in this forum.

I eliminated E, since it mentioned only about natural disasters. I would more likely help a person affected by Huricane than a person who lost all his money in gambling.

“Confidence comes not from always being right but from not fearing to be wrong.”

Re: Greek tragedy, one of the enduring pillars of our belief   [#permalink] 07 Feb 2014, 19:55