Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:28 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [35]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: MBA
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64894 [10]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618738 [1]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: MBA
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Re: Greek tragedy, one of the enduring pillars of our belief system, drama [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
The fact that "some" people insist that society is to blame for misfortune does
not explain why the public today "broadly supports" social safety net programs.

So its not C. "some" is the easiest way to see why C is wrong
Tuck School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 330 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Stanford (in), Tuck (WL), Wharton (ding), Cornell (in)
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Re: Greek tragedy, one of the enduring pillars of our belief system, drama [#permalink]
Kudos
Maybe (E)?

Greek tragedy may remain one of the pillars of western belief system but there are other factors to consider too - that is religion.
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [1]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
IMO E is the best answer.
Paradox : People are now contributing towards others misfortune; they should have been let to suffer as during ancient time.

Took time to eliminate C.
E states a reason for people's behavior today; C just gives an explanation for the thought of a few ppl. We do not know what was there previous belief. Hence E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 478 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT Date: 11-18-2012
Send PM
Can someone explain an argument?
I am unable to figure out what author as a whole trying to say.
Especially what statement below implies.

Nonetheless, today the
public broadly supports bankruptcy protection, family welfare and other “social safety net”
programs that shield the destitute in the face of their hardships, at taxpayer expense.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1519 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Expert Reply
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Aristocrat wrote:
Can someone explain an argument?
I am unable to figure out what author as a whole trying to say.
Especially what statement below implies.

Nonetheless, today the
public broadly supports bankruptcy protection, family welfare and other “social safety net”
programs that shield the destitute in the face of their hardships, at taxpayer expense.

The argument talks about the Western culture. He says that the belief system of the west is based on the concept that
the misfortune a person suffers is that person’s “fault". The misfortune could be anything - losing a job, getting orphaned, injury in natural disasters etc. A person suffers because of his own deeds. Hence, it is surprising that their govt has various plans (which are supported by the general public) e.g. bankruptcy protection, family welfare, unemployment schemes etc. Under these schemes, people are paid money by the govt if they undergo some misfortune. e.g. if a person loses his job, he gets unemployment benefits i.e. the govt pays him a fixed income regularly for some time.
The paradox here is that though the belief system says that the person's misfortune is his own fault, still people broadly support social welfare plans.

As discussed above, (C) is incorrect because it says 'Some people insist' though the plans are broadly supported. This doesn't help resolve the paradox why people generally support these welfare programs.

(E) is correct because it offers an alternative belief system that people follow today. Their religion tells them that people suffering through hardships e.g. natural disasters are innocent (it's not their own fault) and that one needs to assist them. That is why people support the welfare programs.

I would like to post my views on this question and more generally on how you resolve paradoxes.

Let us consider the following statements.

Statement 1: He has always followed righteous behavior
Statement 2: He has lied sometimes

The statements seem to go against each other. It seems that both cannot be true at the same time. But you resolve it by considering the fact that he had lied when he had to safeguard a greater righteousness. So he has in effect been always righteous. Paradoxes happen when two facts apparently clash against each other. Paradoxes are usually resolved by taking the big picture into account and therefore enhancing the scope of the given facts. That way the restrictions imposed at the lower level would vanish. You also resolve paradoxes by considering a new information that reconciles the apparently contradicting facts and so on

But in the given problem, the paradox is resolved by replacing the fact with an alternative fact. That is, instead of people following the Greek system, it is taken that people are following current religious practices. Though this looks somewhat weird because you are replacing one of the components causing the paradox itself by some other component. I am not sure how valid is this practice of resolving a paradox. I request that students and also the experts share their views.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9241 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
I really dislike this question. I suppose it's a difficult question, but for the wrong reasons: it's difficult because the right answer doesn't make much sense. It's obviously not an official question. Answer C cannot be right, because knowing what "some people" think does nothing to explain why *most* people think something (we know that "the public *broadly supports*" social programs". That really only leaves E, but I don't think it's a good answer, and I find the OE (quoted above) especially problematic:

hermit84 wrote:

I got OE for this, hope it helps.

The statements above present a paradox. If, as the author implies, the ethos of
Greek tragedy still holds as an "enduring pillar of our belief system," an ethos
declaring each person's misfortune that person's fault, then the majority of the
public should not support "social safety net" programs,
which are based on the
philosophical position that someone's misfortune is not necessarily his or her
fault.

I've highlighted in red an assumption here that is completely unwarranted. It is perfectly possible for the public to believe that people are to blame for their own misfortune, and yet that these people deserve to be supported anyway. So there's no paradox to begin with unless you make the (in my opinion, bizarre) assumption that I've highlighted in red above, and that's the crux of the question. E only gets at this issue in the most oblique of ways, so I just don't think the question is well constructed.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1751 [3]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
souvik101990 wrote:
This question is part of the GMAT Club Critical Reasoning : Paradox Revision Project.

Greek tragedy, one of the enduring pillars of our belief system, dramatized the concept that the misfortune a person suffers is not an accident, but rather a logical outcome of flaws in that person’s nature; the misfortune is thus that person’s “fault.” Nonetheless, today the public broadly supports bankruptcy protection, family welfare and other “social safety net” programs that shield the destitute in the face of their hardships, at taxpayer expense.

Which of the following, if true, would best resolve the paradox in the statements above?

A. The ancient Greeks had few, if any, such social safety net programs in their society.

B. The majority of the public is more familiar with the works of Shakespeare than those of Greek tragedy.

C. Some people insist that society, not the individual, is to blame for most accidents.

D. Many people in financial difficulties feel too ashamed to declare bankruptcy or to take advantage of other social safety net programs.

E. The religions practiced by most people today strongly encourage people to contribute to charities that assist innocent people injured in natural disasters, such as hurricanes.

Paradox: from Greeks Tragedy , The misfortune is thus that person’s “fault.” then why public broadly supports bankruptcy protection, family welfare and other “social safety net” programs, let them pay their sins posting.php?mode=quote&f=139&p=1494296#?

A. The ancient Greeks had few, if any, such social safety net programs in their society.
--Greeks believe that all misfortune is persons flaw so having such safety net programs woould not have been applied or accepted.
B. The majority of the public is more familiar with the works of Shakespeare than those of Greek tragedy.
-- if people are more familiar with works of Shakespeare then how would that help explain why we have safety net for bankruptcy and all.
C. Some people insist that society, not the individual, is to blame for most accidents.
'some' people insist but largely part still thinks that it is individual's flaw so why there are safety nets ? still unexplained.

D. Many people in financial difficulties feel too ashamed to declare bankruptcy or to take advantage of other social safety net programs.
question is not whether people take advantage of such programs , question is that why such a plan is in place.

E. The religions practiced by most people today strongly encourage people to contribute to charities that assist innocent people injured in natural disasters, such as hurricanes.
--here we go , so it is the religion which is encouraging people to contribute to charities and assist innocent
( which as per Greeks does not exist as all misfortune is result of flaw in individual) and thats why we have such plans in place.

Suggestions and discussion are welcomed . Please feel free to fill gaps in my reasoning.

thanks
Lucky
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [2]
Given Kudos: 916
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V44
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 4: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos