Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 10:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Green anole lizards, familiar to schoolchildren as

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Green anole lizards, familiar to schoolchildren as [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2005, 11:41
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Green anole lizards, familiar to schoolchildren as chameleons, have recently become familiar to biologists as an excellent animal for laboratory studies of the interaction between stimuli with hormones.

(A) an excellent animal for laboratory studies of the interaction between stimuli with
(B) an excellent animal for laboratory studies of interaction of stimuli and
(C) being excellent animals for laboratory studies of the interaction between stimuli with
(D) excellent animals for laboratory studies of the interaction between stimuli with
(E) excellent animals for laboratory studies of the interaction of stimuli and

Is there a grammar rule that if the subject and verb of the sentence are plural the object also has to be plural? What if the subject and verb were singular, would the object of the construct have to be singular too? From a "counting" perspective this makes sense but i wanted to know if there was a rule or something?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Green Lizards [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2005, 12:04
Hmmmm... very complex and important concept....

IMO, green ligards are an animal not animals. gramatically they should be animals but logically they are an animal.

the cooreelative conjunction "between" should be followed by ...... and ..... So B should be correct. however i am not fully convinced with "interaction of stimuli and"

(A) between ........ with. not correct.
(B) an excellent animal for laboratory studies of interaction of stimuli and
(C) being doesnot sound good
(D) same as A. also donot like animals
(E) animals. same like D.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2005, 12:11
I think "interaction ...with" is correct

But again if "between" comes after "interaction" , "and" should be present to support between....

This is probably in parallel with

distinguish X from Y

distinguish between X and Y

Is this correct guys?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2005, 17:21
lizards - plural, so animals it is. Eliminate A and B.

"being" - no good, so C is out.

D uses the same wrong idiom as A

Answer is E
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2005, 17:53
I choose E. Eliminate A and B because lizards is plural so animals should be used. Most of the time, you should eliminate the choice that uses being, so C doesn't work. In D, the correct idiom should be between x and y.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2005, 06:29
E is best
A and B are out because they use singular and inappropriately refer to plural noun "Green anole lizards"
C) "known as being" is redundant
D) wrong idiom. It should be "interaction between X and Y"
E) correct although not ideal. "interaction of X and Y" could mean that X and Y are two mutually ind. elements interacting with a third element Z but again, the idiom I mentioned in D is best. This question is poorly written for choice E.

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2005, 08:14
E for me too.

D is definetly wrong because of incorrect IDIOM.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2005, 13:05
E

Plural tense (lizards -- animals)/correct idiom use
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2005, 18:55
Paul wrote:
E is best
A and B are out because they use singular and inappropriately refer to plural noun "Green anole lizards"
C) "known as being" is redundant
D) wrong idiom. It should be "interaction between X and Y"
E) correct although not ideal. "interaction of X and Y" could mean that X and Y are two mutually ind. elements interacting with a third element Z but again, the idiom I mentioned in D is best. This question is poorly written for choice E.

Paul,
Let take the following sentence:

Green anole lizards have recently become familiar to bilologists as excellent animal(s).

What is the rule that is being tested for animal Vs animals?

Counting? Subject = plural so all references to subject should be in plural terms, whether its pronouns or any other noun used to refer to the subject? Is that what is being tested.

I realize "animals" is not the object of the sentence. I guess my brain must have been really fried when i typed the original post.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2005, 20:20
In GMAT world you should keep subjects being compared in the same number. If subject is plural, it should be compared to a similar plural noun. Since this problem had lizards, we should keep same number of comparison. Hence, animals.

Best Regards,

Paul

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2005, 03:00
I had narrowed the choices to D and E. I chose D, and read all the responses. Is interaction between wrong? Is the correct idiom interaction of??

If that is the case, then the answer should be E. A and B are out, because green lizards ... is plural and therefore what follows should be animals, and not an animal. C is out because of being
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2005, 08:31
Darth_McDaddy wrote:
I had narrowed the choices to D and E. I chose D, and read all the responses. Is interaction between wrong? Is the correct idiom interaction of??

If that is the case, then the answer should be E. A and B are out, because green lizards ... is plural and therefore what follows should be animals, and not an animal. C is out because of being

The problem here is not the usage of interaction. Gramatically I don't see a problem with the phrase "interaction between" error here is what comes after this phrase. When you use between to compare two noun/noun phrases you need conjunction "and" as in between X and Y

Praveen

[#permalink] 29 Jun 2005, 08:31