Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Oct 2014, 20:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Green Card holder (Permanent Resident) - Needs a passport?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Green Card holder (Permanent Resident) - Needs a passport? [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2009, 21:19
This post received
KUDOS
Hi guys,

Just joined and got a quick yet pretty urgent question for you fellow green card holders in the US who sat for the exam.

I am a permanent resident (green card holder) myself and wondering if my (1) driver's license and (2) green card would be enough IDs to present at the test center or I really need a passport.

The reason why I am asking is.. I still have my 'maiden name' on my passport though I have my new last name (my husband's) both on my driver's license and green card (and yes, I registered the exam under my new last name).

I just did not bother to change the name on my passport because my country of citizenship has a very picky (rather ridiculous) rules as to how to change name on a passport, and as long as I brought my marriage certificate along with my passport when traveling abroad, I had no problem.

Sorry for babbling too much, but back to my question:

Do I really need a passport?

If so, bringing marriage certificate along with my passport would help?

Thanks so much!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Harvard Business School, Stanford
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 9

Re: Green Card holder (Permanent Resident) - Needs a passport? [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2009, 21:25
The best thing you can do is to go to the test center and clarify all the questions that bother you. I don't think anybody can give you a 100% answer on your questions. Just check it in the test center, before it is too late.

Success in your exam!!!
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

Re: Green Card holder (Permanent Resident) - Needs a passport? [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2009, 03:34
You need to bring a passport to the test center. I was a permanent resident when I took the test, and I'm pretty sure the instructions at the time (early 2008) stated that if I held foreign citizenship, the passport would be the only document that would establish my identity at the test center.

Since that isn't easily done for you, call both GMAC and the test center to see if they will consider your marriage certificate along with your passport.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Green Card holder (Permanent Resident) - Needs a passport? [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2009, 06:05
First, thank you guys for your replies!

I was just going through this GMAT bulletin pdf file I downloaded from GMAC website (the latest edition.. effective date - January 1, 2009) and on page 7, it specifically says "a permanent U.S. resident testing in the United States, in which case you may present a passport or permanent resident card (green card)".

Whew... what a relief!

I also just called the GMAC customer service to double-check and got a 'yes' from him as well.

Here is the link of the GMAT bulletin pdf file, just in case someone would like to check the information as well.
http://www.gmac.com/NR/rdonlyres/D26D09 ... 08_WEB.pdf

Thanks again guys.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: Green Card holder (Permanent Resident) - Needs a passport? [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2009, 08:54
Hmmm, when I took my exam, I only showed them my driver's license and they didn't ask for any other ID....

:shock:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9385 [0], given: 3694

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Green Card holder (Permanent Resident) - Needs a passport? [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2009, 23:34
Expert's post
drinkwater wrote:
Hi guys,

Just joined and got a quick yet pretty urgent question for you fellow green card holders in the US who sat for the exam.

I am a permanent resident (green card holder) myself and wondering if my (1) driver's license and (2) green card would be enough IDs to present at the test center or I really need a passport.

The reason why I am asking is.. I still have my 'maiden name' on my passport though I have my new last name (my husband's) both on my driver's license and green card (and yes, I registered the exam under my new last name).

I just did not bother to change the name on my passport because my country of citizenship has a very picky (rather ridiculous) rules as to how to change name on a passport, and as long as I brought my marriage certificate along with my passport when traveling abroad, I had no problem.

Sorry for babbling too much, but back to my question:

Do I really need a passport?

If so, bringing marriage certificate along with my passport would help?

Thanks so much!

Did you get an answer from the test center or was there a resolution?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: McCombs 2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: Green Card holder (Permanent Resident) - Needs a passport? [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2009, 07:00
I was in your shoes when I took the exam. I didn't bring my passport, but luckily I had my green card with me and that was sufficient for them along with my DL.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Green Card holder (Permanent Resident) - Needs a passport? [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2009, 08:09
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks kman for your reply!

bb, I called GMAC customer service and was told that my green card would suffice (no passport needed)

thanks everyone.
Re: Green Card holder (Permanent Resident) - Needs a passport?   [#permalink] 17 Feb 2009, 08:09