Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 19:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Grockit CR Although only 2 percent of drivers on Lalaland s

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 5

Grockit CR Although only 2 percent of drivers on Lalaland s [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2012, 10:36
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (medium)

Question Stats:

39% (02:46) correct 61% (01:38) wrong based on 126 sessions
Grockit CR

Although only 2 percent of drivers on Lalaland’s highways drove sports cars, 25 percent of all vehicles ticketed for drunk driving in the past 90 days were sports cars. Clearly, sports car drivers on Lalaland highways are more likely to drive drunk than are drivers of other kinds of vehicles.
The conclusion drawn above depends on which of the following assumptions?

A. Drivers on Lalaland highways drive drunk more often than do drivers on highways not covered in the report.
B. Many of the vehicles ticketed for drunk driving were ticketed more than once during the time period covered by the report.
C. Drivers who are ticketed for drunk driving are more likely to drive drunk regularly than are drivers who are not ticketed.
D. The number of drivers ticketed for drunk driving was greater than the number of sportscars.
E. Drivers of sports cars are less likely to be ticketed for drunk driving than are drivers of other kinds of cars.

Got stumped on this one.. basically, misinterpreted the conclusion.
Instead of "Clearly, sports car drivers on Lalaland highways are more likely to drive drunk than are drivers of other kinds of vehicles" I went on with something like "Clearly, it is more likely that sports car drivers (than the drivers of other kinds of vehicles on Lalaland highways) drive drunk."

After reading the explanation (This argument makes the connection between the likelihood of driving drunk and the kind of car one drives. The unstated assumption is that those who are ticketed drive drunk more often than those who are not ticketed.) the argument and assumption appear pretty straight forward and so does the OA

I am just wondering isn't the line of thought/conclusion that I took more natural/real world.
Isn't the actual conclusion tad artificial and "logic for logic's sake" kind?
Can someone throw an OG question with similar line of tought/argument.

Many thanks | Supratim Choudhury
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 134 [1] , given: 50

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Grockit CR-Although only 2 percent of drivers... [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2012, 19:07
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
supratim7 wrote:
Grockit CR

Although only 2 percent of drivers on Lalaland’s highways drove sports cars, 25 percent of all vehicles ticketed for drunk driving in the past 90 days were sports cars. Clearly, sports car drivers on Lalaland highways are more likely to drive drunk than are drivers of other kinds of vehicles.

A. Drivers on Lalaland highways drive drunk more often than do drivers on highways not covered in the report.
B. Many of the vehicles ticketed for drunk driving were ticketed more than once during the time period covered by the report.
C. Drivers who are ticketed for drunk driving are more likely to drive drunk regularly than are drivers who are not ticketed.
D. The number of drivers ticketed for drunk driving was greater than the number of sportscars.
E. Drivers of sports cars are less likely to be ticketed for drunk driving than are drivers of other kinds of cars.

Got stumped on this one.. basically, misinterpreted the conclusion.
Instead of "Clearly, sports car drivers on Lalaland highways are more likely to drive drunk than are drivers of other kinds of vehicles" I went on with something like "Clearly, it is more likely that sports car drivers (than the drivers of other kinds of vehicles on Lalaland highways) drive drunk."

After reading the explanation (This argument makes the connection between the likelihood of driving drunk and the kind of car one drives. The unstated assumption is that those who are ticketed drive drunk more often than those who are not ticketed.) the argument and assumption appear pretty straight forward and so does the OA

I am just wondering isn't the line of thought/conclusion that I took more natural/real world.
Isn't the actual conclusion tad artificial and "logic for logic's sake" kind?
Can someone throw an OG question with similar line of tought/argument.

Many thanks | Supratim Choudhury

This is an example of Scope shift in the conclusion. The premise is talking about "Vehicles Ticketed for drunk driving" and the conclusion is about "Sports car Driver". So there is a subtle scope shift in the Conclusion. So Option C bridges the logical Gap very well in the argument.

In-fact there is a similar OG question In OG 13, # 77.

A recent report determined that although only 3 percent of drivers on Maryland highways equipped their vehicles with radar detectors, 33 percent of all vehicles ticketed for exceeding the speed limit were equipped with them. Clearly, drivers who equip their vehicles with radar detectors are more likely to exceed the speed limit regularly than are drivers who do not.

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 204

Kudos [?]: 42 [1] , given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Grockit CR Although only 2 percent of drivers on Lalaland s [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2014, 01:37
This post received
KUDOS
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 15

Re: Grockit CR Although only 2 percent of drivers on Lalaland s [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2014, 23:33
Premise 1. Drivers-->2% sport car, 98% not sport ones
Premise 2. Ticketed for drunk--->25% sport car drivers, 75% not sport car ones
Conclusion: Sport car drivers are more likely to drive drunk than other drivers

Prethinking:
Ticketing for drunkness is indicator of any drivers to be drunk. i.e. if they drunk they will be ticketed.

Only C responds
Re: Grockit CR Although only 2 percent of drivers on Lalaland s   [#permalink] 04 Jul 2014, 23:33