Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 264 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yes, I have the same experience too. I took the gmatprep, and got 2 incorrect answers in the first 15 questions, and got probably 80% incorrect on the last 20 questions, and still get a score of 48.

The case is slightly different for the verbal section. I got the first 15 questions correct (all of them), and answered 80% of the last 20 questions incorrectly, and only got a score of 34.

So that's why I'd like to know how the real test works?? (Especially those who have taken the test and scored in 90th+ percentile). Does Kaplan and PR strategies work (by concentrating on the first 15-20 questions), or should we really keep pace and try to answer each and every question correctly.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 269 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Pacing your self is more beneficial than guessing last few questions.

Trick is to know when you can not solve question guess and move on.

I believe, You can not answer first 15 questions correctly unlsess you are scoring very high! So, Wouldn’t you say its wise to guess and move on if your level is 600 and you are encountering 750 level question? Spending more time will not make it correct as the question may be out of your skill scope. So I would strongly suggest to practice and to move on even on first question also, in case you can not solve it withing appropriate time.

About first few questions, It would be appropriate to spend bit more time initially before giving up but AGAIN, ultimately you need to know when to give up and move on so you can finish majority of questions.

Chirag
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I got a 48 on the quant and a 40 on the verbal (710 overall). I finished both sections, but had to guess on a few questions. Strongly agree with pacing suggestion -- the whole thing about the first 10-15 questions mattering exclusively is total BS. The OG11 is correct when it says that's a myth. If you spend 3-4 minutes on a problem and can't go through entire process of elimination sequence, just guess from the possible answer choices you've narrowed it to and move on. Do not spend all your time on first 10-15 questions, or you'll end up with a terrible score if you have to guess on the last 15+ questions....

Marcus
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 783 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
lackeym77 wrote:
the whole thing about the first 10-15 questions mattering exclusively is total BS. The OG11 is correct when it says that's a myth.

it does? what's the page/section in the OG11?

thanks

ps... I strongly agree with pacing, otherwise you're screwed. Happened to me on 1st attempt... had to guess on last 10-15 in verbal, got miserable 24 :oops:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
u2lover wrote:

it does? what's the page/section in the OG11?

Page 17, that is.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37309 posts