Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 04:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

guessing on last questions versus leaving blank

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

guessing on last questions versus leaving blank [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2004, 23:45
your opinions or facts.

let us say you are doing very well either in the quant or verbal (seeing difficult questions and getting them right) you have 5 minutes left with 5 questions. should you finish as many as you can and guest the remaining 4-2 questions or just leave them blank?

thanks for you thoughts.
Intern
Intern

important [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2004, 08:57
the response to last question is very important,it determines ur overall standing pls do it

ash
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2004, 07:30
You should not try to 'out-guess' the GMAT. There really is no way you can tell whether a question has internally been rated as hard or easy. Likewise, it is impossible to identify a dummy question from a real one. With that in mind, the best option is to answer all the questions. The last 4-5 questions are worth about 10 points each- useful to boost your score from 690 to 710 or 720. It is said that a 'no-answer' is worse than a wrong answer, although again there is no way a test-taker can confirm this.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2004, 19:29
Ash, where on earth do you get the idea that the last question determines your standing?! That's total crap. The last few questions can affect your score by 10-30 points, but that's about it.

In general, it's best to guess if you run out of time, even if you have to do so randomly, because on the GMAT you're penalized less for wrong answers than you are for unanswered ones. So if you're out of time, click away.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2004, 04:04
hi turbiss,my opinion is based on an article i read somewhere(though i dont recall where and when).It was stated that GMAT is a computer adaptive test which analyses the ability of the candidate in the first few questions(there fore the first few questions have a significant impact on scores.
hoewever i was surprised when i read that the computer calculates overall standing based on the response to last answer as well.there might be a 10 point difference to your score so if your score is 690 it could well get u 700.

if i find that link i will post it.
ash
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2004, 20:06
Finishing the exam is better.
  [#permalink] 13 Sep 2004, 20:06