Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 01:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Guests at a recent party ate a total of fifteen hamburgers.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Guests at a recent party ate a total of fifteen hamburgers. [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2008, 13:34
Guests at a recent party ate a total of fifteen hamburgers. Each guest who was neither a student nor a vegetarian ate exactly one hamburger. No hamburger was eaten by any guest who was a student, a vegetarian, or both. If half of the guests were vegetarians, how many guests attended the party?

(1) The vegetarians attended the party at a rate of 2 students to every 3 non-students, half the rate for non-vegetarians.

(2) 30% of the guests were vegetarian non-students.

i dont know the OA so send ur reasoning.
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 184 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: hi walker pls do it ? [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2008, 14:58
This post received
KUDOS
I think answer to this DS question is A.

It is because of fact that question tells us that "No hamburger was eaten by any guest who was a student, a vegetarian, or both".

Student and Vegetarian ate = 0
Student and Non Vegetarian ate = 0
Non student and Vegetarian ate = 0
Only people Non-Student and Non-Vegetarian ate = 1 burger each, that means there were 15 non-student and non vegetarian people were there in party.

Also given to us that half of them are vegetarian, so that also means half are non-vegetarian.

Statement 1:
Tells us the vegetarians attended the party at a rate of 2 students to every 3 non-students, half the rate for non-vegetarians.

Create A matrix (See the attached document).

Say there are x vegetarian student (from question that also means we have x non-vegetarian student).
As per this statement vegetarian students = 2x/5 and vegetarian non-students = 3x/5
Number of Non-vegetarian student = x - 15, as 15 were non-vegetarian non-student as calculated above.

As per this statement we have (x-15)/15 = 4/3 (Twice the rate of vegetarian students).
This will give us value of x and total number of guest = 2x.

DO NOT solve to get x and putting back the values as that is not required.

Statement 2:
Tells us that 30% of the guests were vegetarian non-students. But we don't know what is total number of guest so this alone is insufficient.

Answer A.
Attachments

Sample_Matrix.doc [25 KiB]
Downloaded 150 times

To download please login or register as a user

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 355

Kudos [?]: 1736 [1] , given: 357

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: hi walker pls do it ? [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2008, 20:03
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Thanks, abhijit_sen.

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: hi walker pls do it ? [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2008, 22:30
thanks

abhijet thanks a ton
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Guests at a recent party ate a total of fifteen hamburgers. [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2012, 04:08
Hi,

Can you please help me combine the ratios for instance...

The vegetarians attended the party at a rate of 2 students to every 3 non-students, half the rate for non-vegetarians.

Student / Non-student = 2 /3 - > half the ratio for Non-veg then how to i convert it?

Ratio 3/5 -> twice this ratio would be ?

Also please correct me if the below is wrong

Pepper to Salt = 2:5 -> then
if the pepper is reduced by half then ratio becomes 1:10
If the pepper is doubled then ratio becomes 4:5

My sincere thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 3

Re: Guests at a recent party ate a total of fifteen hamburgers. [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2012, 07:36
Jp27 wrote:
Hi,
The vegetarians attended the party at a rate of 2 students to every 3 non-students, half the rate for non-vegetarians.

Student / Non-student = 2 /3 - > half the ratio for Non-veg then how to i convert it?

Simply multiply the ratio by 2: so 2/3 is converted to 4/3 and 3/5 will be 6/5.

Jp27 wrote:

If pepper is reduced by half, the ratio will be 1:5. You can think it this way: first you have two parts pepper and 5 parts salt. Then you take away half of the pepper, so one part. What's left is one part pepper and 5 parts salt. You dont double the salt.

4:5 is correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Guests at a recent party ate a total of fifteen hamburgers. [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2012, 09:17
Zinsch123 wrote:
Jp27 wrote:
Hi,

Simply multiply the ratio by 2: so 2/3 is converted to 4/3 and 3/5 will be 6/5.

Jp27 wrote:

If pepper is reduced by half, the ratio will be 1:5. You can think it this way: first you have two parts pepper and 5 parts salt. Then you take away half of the pepper, so one part. What's left is one part pepper and 5 parts salt. You dont double the salt.

4:5 is correct.

Hey Zinsch123 - Thanks for your response.

There was a typo in my earlier post please allow to me to correct it...

if the pepper is reduced by half then ratio becomes 2(1/2):5 = 2:10
If the pepper is doubled then ratio becomes 4:5 -> this is correct (math here is 2*2:5=4:5) and you approve.

So coming back to the other doubts ->
2 students to every 3 non-students,half the rate for non-vegetarians. -> What is the math here?
2 students to every 3 non-students, double the rate for non-vegetarians. ->What is the math here?

Last edited by Jp27 on 06 Oct 2012, 20:32, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-01-2012
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 84

Re: Guests at a recent party ate a total of fifteen hamburgers. [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2012, 09:51
Not sure if my approach is right. I am slightly unsure on how I represented the information given in the Statement 1 on the rate(see below for the matrix on that). Statement 2 looks obviously insuff.
Attachments

Hamburgers.png
Hamburgers.png [ 11.94 KiB | Viewed 2215 times ]

I will rather do nothing than be busy doing nothing - Zen saying

Last edited by Pansi on 06 Oct 2012, 10:07, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-01-2012
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 84

Re: Guests at a recent party ate a total of fifteen hamburgers. [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2012, 10:06
Thought more on what exactly does halving the rate means :

Assume - Distance = 30 miles, Time Taken = 10 hrs. So Rate/Speed = Distance/Time= (30/10) = 3 miles/hr
Now halving the rate gives 1.5miles/hr. Now the D/T= (0.5)x (30/10)= 1.5 miles/hr.

I will rather do nothing than be busy doing nothing - Zen saying

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Guests at a recent party ate a total of fifteen hamburgers. [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2012, 20:48
Pansi wrote:
Not sure if my approach is right. I am slightly unsure on how I represented the information given in the Statement 1 on the rate(see below for the matrix on that). Statement 2 looks obviously insuff.

I think you need to re-visit those cells in the 2nd row

From A statement -> Veg to Veg-Non-Stud = 2a to 3a so in your table x=2a y =3a
Now half the rate for Non- Veg here => 4b:3b (Im not sure how to get this ratio); In your table these values are wrong = : 4b (instead of z):3b

you already know 3b=15, b=5 hence 4b =20 - get the total Non-veg now by adding this row -> 35
Since this is exactly half of the total G = 70 (you have got 40).

I though I'll share because this as these Questions might appear in PS also.

And Also I understand rate thingy you gave about ratios but any idea on the below Qs?

2 students to every 3 non-students,half the rate for non-vegetarians. -> What is the math here?
2 students to every 3 non-students, double the rate for non-vegetarians. -> is this math correct? multiply by 2 here to get 4:3

Cheers
Re: Guests at a recent party ate a total of fifteen hamburgers.   [#permalink] 06 Oct 2012, 20:48