Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 01:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Guidance appreciated - GMAT 720; GPA 3.9

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Guidance appreciated - GMAT 720; GPA 3.9 [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2012, 03:08
Hi all,

I just recently took the GMAT and scored a 720 (Q48 V41), which is acceptable; however, I only received a 5 on IR (52nd percentile). I'm trying to target the top 10 schools. I received an undergraduate GPA of 3.9 from an Ivy League and an employed at a top 20 consulting firm, and will be applying ~3 years from now.

Will this low score hurt my chances or is it similar to the essay where there is a lower expectation?

Thanks,
Jason
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Guidance appreciated - GMAT 720; GPA 3.9 [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2012, 08:05
jhwang116 wrote:
Hi all,

I just recently took the GMAT and scored a 720 (Q48 V41), which is acceptable; however, I only received a 5 on IR (52nd percentile). I'm trying to target the top 10 schools. I received an undergraduate GPA of 3.9 from an Ivy League and an employed at a top 20 consulting firm, and will be applying ~3 years from now.

Will this low score hurt my chances or is it similar to the essay where there is a lower expectation?

Thanks,
Jason

If you were applying this year, I'd say it doesn't matter. However, schools will have tons more data on IR by the time you apply, and opinions will be much clearer about what scores are acceptable then. The going idea with the AWA is that a 4.5 is more or less the minimum acceptable score. For your sake, I hope 5 is the cut off for IR.

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q V0
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 27

Premium Member
Re: Guidance appreciated - GMAT 720; GPA 3.9 [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2012, 15:07
I definitely would not retake it if the only reason is to improve your IR score. Looking to improve your total score to 750 or above would be a better reason. But even if that is your motivation, I wouldn't recommend retaking it (unless you just really have the time AND you're confident that you can do better.) Your GPA is high, and your score will be fine. You should spend time on other parts of your applications.

Last edited by Ward2012 on 27 Oct 2012, 19:06, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Guidance appreciated - GMAT 720; GPA 3.9 [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2012, 15:25
There are many components of your application to demonstrate your academic abilities and potential -- and the GMAT score is just one of them. With time until the second deadline quickly approaching, I would use start on my applications and make sure that theses are as good as they can be. I am confident that with a 3.9 GPA from Ivy College, that admissions officers will be impressed with your academic credentials and conclude that you will also excel in graduate business school. However, a mediocre application will definitely damage your chances at the most competitive programs.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q V0
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 27

Premium Member
Re: Guidance appreciated - GMAT 720; GPA 3.9 [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2012, 17:44
I just reread your post and saw that your applying three years from now. I guess since you have that much time, you can try taking the GMAT again, but only if you're confident you'll get the same score or above. taking it again, and getting a lower score, even with a higher IR score would look kind of bad, even though schools take the highest score anyway.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 600 Q52 V40

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Guidance appreciated - GMAT 720; GPA 3.9 [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2012, 10:44
Dear wang,

Just apply. I think its the quantitative and verbal scores that matter the most.Have some great essay written down and get some great recs. You will rock if you can do the above.If you have time than retake the exam. I think your GPA is high enough to distinguish your application. Just get more clarity on your essays and goals and apply with a bang
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 30

Re: Guidance appreciated - GMAT 720; GPA 3.9 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 13:21
You have a competitive profile. I would not bother to retake the GMAT just to improve the IR score. There are other aspects of the application that are more important and your time could probably be better spent elsewhere.

Give Kudos if my post was helpful!

Re: Guidance appreciated - GMAT 720; GPA 3.9   [#permalink] 30 Oct 2012, 13:21