Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 08:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Guidance needed for my GMAT preparation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Guidance needed for my GMAT preparation [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2011, 19:30
Hi Folks,

Like most of you guys even i am aspiring to do my MBA from a good university and the first big step towards achieving my goal is promising oneself to devote 100% concentration, dedication & commitment towards the GMAT Preparation.

Let me tell you guys, I have been reading this forum for about a week or 2 and believe me it inspires and motivates me a lot in my preparation. I would be really thankfully to all you guys, If I can succeed in my attempt to fulfill my dream.

I really need guidance from you guys in helping me choose the books which i have to read and practice for the exam. At present, I am reading the Kaplan GMAT Premier series and i don't feel like it would be sufficient for my preparation. I am kind of above average in Quant and very weak in Verbal.

I would request you guys to guide me in selecting the books, which upon reading will improve my skills in Quant as well as verbal.

Thanks in advance for your kind guidance.

Regards.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 288

Kudos [?]: 660 [0], given: 6

Re: Guidance needed for my GMAT preparation [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2011, 15:40
Expert's post
zamoora9 wrote:
Hi Folks,

Like most of you guys even i am aspiring to do my MBA from a good university and the first big step towards achieving my goal is promising oneself to devote 100% concentration, dedication & commitment towards the GMAT Preparation.

Let me tell you guys, I have been reading this forum for about a week or 2 and believe me it inspires and motivates me a lot in my preparation. I would be really thankfully to all you guys, If I can succeed in my attempt to fulfill my dream.

I really need guidance from you guys in helping me choose the books which i have to read and practice for the exam. At present, I am reading the Kaplan GMAT Premier series and i don't feel like it would be sufficient for my preparation. I am kind of above average in Quant and very weak in Verbal.

I would request you guys to guide me in selecting the books, which upon reading will improve my skills in Quant as well as verbal.

Thanks in advance for your kind guidance.

Regards.

Welcome aboard! We're here to help!

Indeed, many of our students find the Kaplan material to be insufficient for their needs as busy professionals with full day-time jobs. I'd personally recommend staying away from books besides the Official Guide. While they can be helpful, most people are more visually inclined learners. You really should be watching videos and learning from others who have been through the process.

Also, business schools are not going to like a strong imbalance between your quant and verbal score. Make a strong effort to improve your verbal score. If you're a busy professional, your time is valuable. Don't waste time reading books. Start off by developing a strong foundation on how to approach GMAT exam questions. Learn where all the booby traps are and develop test strategies that allow you to answer the question correctly without necessarily reading through the entire question and all the answer choices.

Remember, your time is limited so study smart, not hard.

Hope that helps! Focus. Focus. Focus.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

Re: Guidance needed for my GMAT preparation [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2011, 17:24
Manhattan strategy guide of 8 is the best resource you can get. If your verbal is weak, go for the RC/SC manhattan books. Participate in the verbal forums as much as you can and go through the OG12 Verbal as well as the verbal review. The GMAT Club has a lot of good questions also so make sure you go through those. If you purchase manhattan you get access to the question banks which are also helpful.

Aim for the sky! (800 in this case)
If you like my post, please give me Kudos :)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Guidance needed for my GMAT preparation [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2011, 16:14
Mindreko wrote:
Manhattan strategy guide of 8 is the best resource you can get. If your verbal is weak, go for the RC/SC manhattan books. Participate in the verbal forums as much as you can and go through the OG12 Verbal as well as the verbal review. The GMAT Club has a lot of good questions also so make sure you go through those. If you purchase manhattan you get access to the question banks which are also helpful.

Hi..Thx for your guidance. It means a lot to my preparation.
I have started brushing up my basics in English Grammer by reading Basic American Grammer & Usage ( An ESL/EFL Book). Also I got GMAT OG 12th edition, Verbal Review 2nd edition & Quant Review 2nd edition which i"ll be starting pretty soon.
Well, I will keep you guys bugging; when ever i am in need of any help/suggestions.

I really appreciate the help you guys are providing to everyone on this forum. God bless u guys..!!!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Guidance needed for my GMAT preparation [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2011, 18:03
I agree about the Manhattan GMAT books. Definitely use those and get the Powerscore CR Bible as well. Consider doing the gmatclub math tests once you feel pretty good about your math abilities. Do those things and you should be off to a great start.
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 288

Kudos [?]: 660 [0], given: 6

Re: Guidance needed for my GMAT preparation [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2011, 20:49
Expert's post
Certainly if you learn best by reading a book, then start off with books.

If you're a visually inclined person, don't underestimate the idea of learning by watching videos. Studies show you'll be able to better absorb the material with the combination of audio and visual learning. Even cheaper than books, you can go to Youtube and search "gmat" and find free tutorials that may fit your learning style.

Enjoy your studies!

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: Guidance needed for my GMAT preparation   [#permalink] 14 Nov 2011, 20:49