Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 16:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Guide to avoiding STUPID mistakes on GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Guide to avoiding STUPID mistakes on GMAT [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2006, 12:06
Quant:

1. Read questions carefully. Dont assume what they are asking for.
2. If x is defined as a number, not an integer, it can assume a range of values, +ive, -ive and fractions. Very easy to miss this and screw up on DS questions.
3. Understand what '0' is - very important.

Verbal:

1. SC - just because you see a choice which sounds reasonably good, don't stop. Always read all the 5 answer choices and pick the best one.
2. RC - don't worry about assessing the difficulty level of a question. I've seen several posts in multiple forums which assert a direct correlation between question difficulty and your performance on the test. While that is likely the case for any CAT, there are several experimental questions on the test and you will never be able to identify them. Also, what is easy for you may be difficult from GMAC's perspective and vice-versa. Getting a long RC passage only if you doing well is a myth - I took the test twice. In the first instance, where my verbal score was dismal, I got some really tough and long RCs (possible cause for my crash-and-burn performance on that test). The second time, I was getting worried since I was getting questions which all seemed fairly easy (not a single long RC). I scored ~25 percentile points more (93rd percentile) on the second test.
3. Make use of the break(s) - every minute of it. They are there for a reason and there are no extra points awarded for getting done early.
4. CR - be wary of questions that use multiple negatives. Always translate to the simpler form before you work the problem. Also, not weaken doesn't necessarily mean strengthen and vice-versa. For example, "Each of the following statements if true, weakens the argument, except" - means which one of the following does not weaken the argument. The correct answer doesnt necessarily have to strengthen the argument - it can be totally irrelevant as long as it doesnt weaken it.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

reading all choices [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2006, 19:12
Hi, I am new to gmatclub and this is my first post, so please bear with me if you have already heard some of my questions/ comments posted before.
I found that umashg's comment on reading all the choices (especially for CR on verbal) is very true. (If you think option 3 is right, also read options 4 and 5 just to make sure you eliminate them).
My question - Does anyone think that if you feel strongly about one answer, you should consider not reading any others that follow?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
some mistakes I should be careful of... [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2006, 05:00
still 1.5 month for me for the D day....hope this is not too early to figure out my errors...

some tips i found useful...
1. In SC uses of "being", passive voice are not preferred.
2. In DS and PS, 1 is not considered prime number
3. Must practice with timer visible, as must not spend more than 3 mins for PS/DS or Verbal, should assume something and keep going, the pressure keeps on mounting if take too much time on 1 question, I still need to improve a lot here
4. Must include AWA in practice tests, even one is authoriatative in essays , energy usage do count. It is different ball game sitting for 3.45 hours and sitting for 2.35 hours considering 5 mins breaks in between.

list continues.....
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Types of numbers [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2007, 05:32
Quant:

When picking numbers, always try to pick easy numbers for the first go around but stay away from 0, and 1 because they can make even wrong statements right. DON'T forget to try negatives, fractions, and zero.

Use 100 when you see a %

Be careful when reading the stem of questions.If you know the type of number your looking for then you half way there to a correct answer.

Integer= ...-2,-1,0,1,2,...
Non-integer= x/y, where y>x can be either negative or positive
Consecutive= n, n+1, n+2, can be either negative or positive
Positve integer= 1,2,3,.....
Negative integer= .....,-3,-2,-1
Zero is even but neither positive nor negative
Even Prime= 2
Prime= 2,3,5,7.....(there are 25 prime numbers <100)

DON'T forget that moving equations around can help to solve a problem too.

Not all information given in the stems are relevant.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2007, 12:37
I just thought of one for the DS questions. If the statment is something like is ax=3-bx?, the answer can be no. It took me quite some time to get out of the mind set of trying to figure out which one of the options would make ax=3-bx (as an example)! Basically, you are trying to figure out if (1) or (2) or neither or both can give you a definite answer, whether it be yes or no.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Guide to avoiding STUPID mistakes on GMAT [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2009, 05:45
Negative signs, getting exponents and multiplication confused, taking more than 3 minutes to answer a question...
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 2

Re: Guide to avoiding STUPID mistakes on GMAT [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2009, 08:19
excellent post!!

thank you :)
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Guide to avoiding STUPID mistakes on GMAT [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2009, 04:12
I would like to add:
1. Not taking enough rest before the test day.
2. Taking test in morning - (holds true for some people)

GMAT Club Error Log V3.0 - with Timer
GMAT Club Error Log
Spoilt Error Log V0.0.9 - with Timer
Awesome Error Log - By Spoilt and Trianglock

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Guide to avoiding STUPID mistakes on GMAT [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2009, 05:07
Spoilt wrote:
I would like to add:
1. Not taking enough rest before the test day.
2. Taking test in morning - (holds true for some people)

Unfortunately, where I live (applicable to both the city in which I work, and the city where my family lives), I can't get an appointment any later than 10:30. I think I might actually take this while on vacation back home, as the test center is only a short walk, whereas here I'd have to brave the ever unpredictable emerging market traffic.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 26

Re: Guide to avoiding STUPID mistakes on GMAT [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2009, 07:56
In the Quant section, for problems that deal with Distant/Speed/Time, make sure the units speed matches with distant and time. If the units don't match, be sure to convert it yourself.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Guide to avoiding STUPID mistakes on GMAT [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2009, 09:45
Watchout for "percentage of" and "percentage increase". Those always gets me.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 26

Re: Guide to avoiding STUPID mistakes on GMAT [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2009, 10:36
11MBA wrote:
Watchout for "percentage of" and "percentage increase". Those always gets me.

Yes, You are right. I got that a few days ago too. I did all my calculations right. Just chose the wrong answer, so frustrated.
Intern
Intern
WE 1: Business Development Manger
WE 2: Assistant Manager-Carbon Trading
WE 3: Manager-Carbon Trading

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Guide to avoiding STUPID mistakes on GMAT [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2010, 07:48
DS common mistakes that I make ..X is an integer I condsider it x=1/2 ;also when it comes to mean and Standard deviation questions I get so nervous and end up making a mistake.
With RC I get impatient while reading a boring passage I need to improve on this a lot ...
.......................................................................................................................................
The Price of discipline is always less than the pain of regret.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 12

Re: [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2012, 21:47
Thank you for letting me know that I am not alone!!
:-D

giddi77 wrote:
Another classic mistake in DS is REMEMBERING INFORMATION FROM PREVIOUS STATEMENT and concluding that the answer is B.

I have made this mistake a few times. It is very important that you CONSIDER EACH STATEMENT INDEPENDENTLY
Intern
Intern
Schools: McCombs Exec '18

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2012, 08:19
Why studying 2 weeks of just SC or CR wrong? I thought it will help you to focus.
Thanks.

Praetorian wrote:
Its been a while since I took the GMAT, but here is one that I remember..

Statement : x is a positive integer.
I read : x is an integer.

Here are some common strategic errors you can make:

1. I am strong in Quant. Lets focus on Verbal. vice-versa

2. Work two weeks straight on SC, then the next two weeks straight on
CR...so on so forth.

3. I consistently get 75% correct on CR/SC/RC.

4. I must only focus on the difficult problems.

5. Three months is good enough for preparation.

6. I got that question right. I dont care if I guessed. I dont need to
review the explanation or take a second look at it.

7. I know my weaknesses. I dont see any reason to measure my
progress.
Re:   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2012, 08:19